PDA

View Full Version : Which day of the week ??

winbets
05-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Does anyone else keep track of how they do on different days of the week? I started this about 18 months ago and the one statistic that sticks out is that Saturday is by far the poorest day of the week for my bankroll. I make a living betting so called cheap tracks and I think that maybe that has something to do with this surprising statistic. Maybe the "better" racing cards on Saturday do not agree with me.

Tom
05-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Good idea. I used to model just weekends becuse that was all I played.
My results imporved, and I think it was becasue I was mixing the better races and the cheap stuff. That was back when I played one track-FL-and it was really night and day weekend to weekdays.

Btw, welcome aboard~

bigmack
05-17-2007, 10:59 PM
Does anyone else keep track of how they do on different days of the week? I started this about 18 months ago and the one statistic that sticks out is that Saturday is by far the poorest day of the week
Oddly enough I started doing it about a year ago and found Saturdays to be cumbersome days to make money as well. I ended up resorting to dutching and cutting down on my amount of plays. Good thread idea.

alysheba88
05-18-2007, 08:51 AM
While I mostly just play the weekends, I definitely do better on Saturday then Sunday. Has to do with the way NYRA cards its races and the types of races on a Saturday card compared to Sunday. More filles and mares on the latter

BUD
05-18-2007, 10:10 AM
I am an absolute newbie..
I am a law enforcement guy who was injured pretty severely on duty. I found myself home bound bored out of my mind...One day before I used my silver bullet I found Horse Racing on the tube..I watched, nothing else to do...I was hooked..Thank God. It saved my life..
I have been attempting to handicap the races since March so I am as green as they come. But I do have some weekday success but, I normally get beat on Saturdays..

cj's dad
05-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Welcome to the site.:)

There are a number of great posts on this site and if you stick around you can learn much.

Pay great attention to one contributor particularly - CJ !!

The kids an absolute genius !!!!!

kingfin66
05-18-2007, 11:11 AM
I am a law enforcement guy who was injured pretty severely on duty. I found myself home bound bored out of my mind...One day before I used my silver bullet I found Horse Racing on the tube..I watched, nothing else to do...I was hooked..Thank God. It saved my life..
I have been attempting to handicap the races since March so I am as green as they come. But I do have some weekday success but, I normally get beat on Saturdays..

Wow and Welcome! I hope your recovery from your injury(s) is going well. You ought to send an e-mail to TVG [I'm assuming that is what you found on the air]. They might like to hear about the positive effect they had on someone's life. You sure found the right place to talk horse racing and learn a ton.

My advice: Find a methodology that you like, and that fits your style and personality. Learn that methodology frontward, backward and sideways. Honestly, I think there are many different ways a person can win if they are willing to take the time to learn how to use their tools. I hope that you can be one of those people.

JustRalph
05-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Bud, Welcome........keep your eyes and ears open around here. You can learn much. Keep your chin up!

46zilzal
05-18-2007, 11:53 AM
My advice: Find a methodology that you like, and that fits your style and personality. Learn that methodology frontward, backward and sideways.

The above is probably the BEST advice on where to start: I am biased in that regard and would tell you to learn the Sartin Methodology, but whatever you choose STAY WITH IT UNTIL IT IS SECOND NATURE.

Also remember that wagering on handicapping decisions is another game altogether and a harder one to master. PLAY ON PAPER until you co-ordinate the two....Have fun, but remember, don't fall in love with a horse, it will cloud your objectivity.

Tom
05-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Welcome, and may the horse be with you!

Zman179
05-18-2007, 04:38 PM
I would say that I don't do very well on Mondays, Fridays, Sundays, Wednesdays, Tuesdays, Saturdays, and Thursdays. Thank God for day jobs! :jump:

I'm a cheap track player too (Finger Lakes is my favorite.) I would say that it's tougher during the weekend because the better horses tend to run more often during the weekends, whereas the cheap claimers are more likely to come out for weekday cards. The bottom rung $4,000 maiden claimers at FL are my specialty.

K9Pup
05-18-2007, 04:58 PM
I would think that the crowd is "smarter" during the week. So weekends SHOULD be better??????

Gibbon
05-18-2007, 05:36 PM
The key that opens up the vault...

Old DRF speed fig plus track variant.
No Beyer or Moss

Everything else is banal

GaryG
05-18-2007, 06:03 PM
I have been attempting to handicap the races since March so I am as green as they come. But I do have some weekday success but, I normally get beat on Saturdays..Bud, wecome to the forum. If you have not done so I suggest that you read some of the "classic" handicapping books. There are several threads devoted to this, but James Quinn and Mark Cramer would be a good place to start. Here's to fast horses and loose women!

Greyfox
05-18-2007, 06:19 PM
With purses generally higher at major tracks better cards and tougher races seem to be the norm.
Having said that, I think that there are other factors here.
1. How much did I "imbibe" the evening before.
2. How much did the jockey that I bet on "imbibe" the evening before.
(At one of the bull rings that I play, one of the jocks can't win on Sunday.
You'd be better betting that he'd fall off somewhere during the day.)

If you are going to keep track of the days that you are doing well on and the days not so well on, I think that you also have to look for any relatonships between the evening before and your performance.
Sometimes "great moments" of lucidity can happen by handicapping the evening before with a brewski, for some people. For others, it just don't work.

winbets
05-18-2007, 06:54 PM
I LOVE Mountaineer.

winbets
05-18-2007, 06:58 PM
The so called "smart crowd" here in Vegas all seem to bet Southern Cal tracks. More power to them. It is a rare occasion when I would bet anything at Hollwood !!

Pell Mell
05-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Tracks have always carded races for the better horses on Sat. I always took Sat. off because of the type of handicapping I use. I like races for cheap horses because I'm an angle player.

If your into numbers your much better off on Sat. because better horses run to their numbers more often than the cheapies.

Good4Now
05-20-2007, 12:30 AM
Hope you come often and join in the mayhem!

From the above posts you should see this is quite a game where finding your way of doing things can take some time and one size DOES NOT FIT-ALL.

Keep records and review them. Select a type of race by distance, surface and class level and come to understand why, in different fields, different running lines from the past performances will show you why one horse is better than the rest TODAY.

AND never be in a hurry to put down your money. Somewhere in this great Country of ours you can bet on a horserace every day of the year BUT Christmas!

Greyfox
05-20-2007, 12:39 AM
1. one size DOES NOT FIT-ALL.
2. Keep records and review them.
3. Never be in a hurry to put down your money.

Good4Now, pardon my editing. Very sage advice.

ratpack
05-20-2007, 10:16 AM
I would think that the crowd is "smarter" during the week. So weekends SHOULD be better??????

I know when I was using All in One V6 that program had the ability to automatically keep track of which days of the week did better.

Bill Olmsted
05-22-2007, 09:31 AM
I LOVE Mountaineer.

MNR is one of my favorites too! I love the linesmaker...this guy will make a horse modest talent a 1/1 ml fav with no compunction whatsoever. I'll have what he's drinking!

BlueShoe
05-22-2007, 09:21 PM
For this player; Big Tracks + Big Days = Big trouble.My worst days of the entire year usually occur on days that feature numerous graded stakes races with good horses coming from several different tracks.Breeders Cup day,Derby day,Sunshine Millions Day,etc. are often days that I would like to forget about.Have actually found a solution to this;stay home.Have stayed put the last two BC and Derby days and viewed the spectacle on the tube without wagering a single deuce.Give me a card of mostly mid level claiming events for older colts and geldings and I am in my element.

DanG
05-22-2007, 09:47 PM
MNR is one of my favorites too! I love the linesmaker...this guy will make a horse modest talent a 1/1 ml fav with no compunction whatsoever. I'll have what he's drinking!
Bill, I don’t play Mnr, but I do get a kick out of the MLO maker’s upper range in odds. (2+ years)

MLO >=30-1

[9 / 1854 ~ 0.5% ~ $0.20 cents.] :eek: