PDA

View Full Version : Todd Pletcher and his Preakness entries?

Bruddah
05-17-2007, 05:34 PM
Immediately after the Ky Derby, Pletcher indicated he wouldn't have any horses running in the Preakness. Then he has one, and now two. None of which, (IMHO) have a chance of winning. Obviously, he isn't entering these horses because of getting the RED A$$ from his lack of success, in the Ky Derby. Both entries have excellent jockeys.

Now here is my question. Can anyone see where the running style of either of his entries can benefit the other? I know there are some great handicappers on this board. Tell me why you think Pletcher would have no entries and now two, and if one's running style could compliment the other.

depalma13
05-17-2007, 10:27 PM
My guess is they plan on running Rags to Riches in the Belmont and Tabor won't allow his two horses to race against each other. So instead of giving Circular Quay another long rest, they decide to take a shot in the Preakness.

Ron
05-18-2007, 09:18 AM
You really think Circular Quay doesn't have a chance at winning?

rastajenk
05-18-2007, 09:27 AM
I could follow a conventional line of logic that Roxy can set or press a pace quick enough to benefit Quay. I personally don't think that's enough to get him the win, but I can understand that others might.

john del riccio
05-18-2007, 09:32 AM
If CQ got what he needed as far as race conditioning in the Derby, you will see a different horse in Maryland; book it.

John

bellsbendboy
05-18-2007, 10:43 AM
" Roxy" has always been Preakness bound and could certainly fuel what will be a solid pace.

As for "Quay" he had been taking treatment with the machine twice a week for his sore shins and working with the filly who he could not get by. Now after the Derby, he outworks a 4yo freak who can fly and the treatments have stopped. Make no mistake he is the major danger for Street Sense!! BBB

njcurveball
05-18-2007, 11:33 AM
If CQ got what he needed as far as race conditioning in the Derby, you will see a different horse in Maryland; book it.

John

Yes this is the typical trainer quote. If your horse loses it is all about the conditioning he didn't get.

How do horses like Street Sense manage to get their conditioning then?

He won the Tampa race on guts as great horses do even when they are short.

And even more important, isn't it the trainers job to enter a horse who is conditioned properly?

Circular Quay has not shown the ability to beat the best and is running for 3rd money here.

Maybe by conditioning you mean a visit from the Vet?

Edward DeVere
05-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Bruddah - As BeeBeeBee states, King Of The Roxy has been pointed towards the Preakness since the Santa Anita Derby. Pletcher's post-Kentucky Derby comments were in reference to his Kentucky Derby starters, not King Of The Roxy.

As far as Circular Quay goes, I can only assume Pletcher saw something he liked in the week after the Derby that made that horse stand out from his other four Derby entrants. BeeBeeBee's comments sound plausible in that context.

john del riccio
05-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Yes this is the typical trainer quote. If your horse loses it is all about the conditioning he didn't get.

How do horses like Street Sense manage to get their conditioning then?

He won the Tampa race on guts as great horses do even when they are short.

And even more important, isn't it the trainers job to enter a horse who is conditioned properly?

Circular Quay has not shown the ability to beat the best and is running for 3rd money here.

Maybe by conditioning you mean a visit from the Vet?

I am not quoting Pletcher. After the Derby, I realized CQ only really had one prep and the conditioning he got in the derby shoul dallow him to be at his best in the Preakness which is my point.

John

ghostyapper
05-18-2007, 12:49 PM
I'm guessing we won't see scat daddy, nobiz, or any given saturday till saratoga.

Bruddah
05-18-2007, 01:00 PM
You all have added insight to my handicapping of this race. (the reason for my question)

With everything you have added and my own thoughts, I have come to the conclusion, the most important factor of this race is, which horse(s) will be able to run a sub 12 second 1/8th after running a 1m 1/16 th. There are only two; Street Sense and Curlin. Seems to me they will be battling to the wire, at the end. (JMHHO) Just My Humble Handicapping Opinion.

Good Luck Saturday! :)

njcurveball
05-18-2007, 01:01 PM
I am not quoting Pletcher.

I understand, you know horses MUCH BETTER than Todd. You will make good money on this one. Hope you bet a bundle! :ThmbUp:

njcurveball
05-18-2007, 01:05 PM
I have come to the conclusion, the most important factor of this race is, which horse(s) will be able to run a sub 12 second 1/8th after running a 1m 1/16 th. There are only two; Street Sense and Curlin. Seems to me they will be battling to the wire, at the end. (JMHHO) Just My Humble Handicapping Opinion.

Good Luck Saturday! :)

Circular Quay can definitely run a under 12 for the final 1/8th. His problem will be how to get within 5 lengths of the lead horse at any point in the race. Pletcher said all along the Belmont would be the horses best chance.

For some reason (greed, insanity, new drugs?) he is now pushing the horse back on short rest around tight turns.

Don't overlook Hard Spun because of all the Lukas talk of his rabbit. It took a monmumental effort to catch him in the Derby and now he has the advantage of a much kinder front speed track.

Other than Street Sense, that horse beat everyone else by 5 lengths in the Derby.

Bruddah
05-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Circular Quay can definitely run a under 12 for the final 1/8th. His problem will be how to get within 5 lengths of the lead horse at any point in the race. Pletcher said all along the Belmont would be the horses best chance.

For some reason (greed, insanity, new drugs?) he is now pushing the horse back on short rest around tight turns.

Don't overlook Hard Spun because of all the Lukas talk of his rabbit. It took a monmumental effort to catch him in the Derby and now he has the advantage of a much kinder front speed track.

Other than Street Sense, that horse beat everyone else by 5 lengths in the Derby.

However, he has done it in races ending at 1 1/16th and not beyond. He will definitely close in 12+ or even 13+ at 1m 3/16th. (JMHHO)

JPinMaryland
05-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Yeah I was expecting a better close from CQ but I am not sure that the distance is not a problem here. I dont think its a problem of conditioning, one would expect him to be ready when he ran in the derby.

Edward DeVere
05-18-2007, 08:52 PM
I would think, given their size differential, Curlin would have more trouble with the turns than Circular Quay.

Bruddah
05-19-2007, 07:26 PM
It feels good to nail one every once in a while. Thanks for everyones input. :jump:

OTM Al
05-19-2007, 11:26 PM
There's nailing it and then there's calling one's shot. You out did the Babe on that one today. Good show!

Bruddah
05-20-2007, 02:16 PM
I consider that a great compliment coming from you. Sometimes you can see the forest and other times you can't see the trees. :)

Greyfox
05-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Pletcher is now 0 for 28 in Triple Crown races.
And I've probably bet one of his tigers in every one of them. :confused: