PDA

View Full Version : Youbet Preakness Show - Brad Thomas

the little guy
05-17-2007, 04:05 PM
I just finished filming this week's " Playing to Win " where I was joined by Brad Thomas. If you're not familiar with him, he's the in-house handicapper for Monmouth and the Meadowlands, and in my opinion he does a terrific job. He follows the Maryland curcuit very closely and brought a great deal to the show.

It should be up before noon tomorrow and I hope people get a chance to watch. As always, any thoughts and criticisms are welcome. I'm off to Baltimore in a few minutes but look forward to checking back in a few days.

alysheba88
05-17-2007, 06:01 PM
I just finished filming this week's " Playing to Win " where I was joined by Brad Thomas. If you're not familiar with him, he's the in-house handicapper for Monmouth and the Meadowlands, and in my opinion he does a terrific job. He follows the Maryland curcuit very closely and brought a great deal to the show.

It should be up before noon tomorrow and I hope people get a chance to watch. As always, any thoughts and criticisms are welcome. I'm off to Baltimore in a few minutes but look forward to checking back in a few days.

Did not catch that but concur about Brad. One of the best things about Monmouth. Has a unique opinion and gives is. Very approachable if you run in to him at the windows too.

Zaf
05-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Alysheba you can catch it here around noon tomorrow:

http://www.youbet.com/playingtowin/

Z

Ernie Dahlman
05-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Andy,

Excellent guest. He knows his stuff. I used to buy the "Fact Sheets" from Mark Siegelaub and Brad and it is the best handicapping product I've ever seen. I'm looking forward to your show.

Ernie

ELA
05-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Is it only being shown at 12noon or is it going to be up on some sort of archive basis?

Also, I don't know Brad as well as some others, however I am well aware of who he is. I was introduced to him, met him and spoke with him a couple of times at Monmouth and I agree -- he is sharp. He knows his stuff, brings up some good angles and plays and has an excellent opinion.

Thanks.

Eric

speedking
05-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Andy,

Excellent guest. He knows his stuff. I used to buy the "Fact Sheets" from Mark Siegelaub and Brad and it is the best handicapping product I've ever seen. I'm looking forward to your show.

Ernie

Yes, the "Facts Sheets" were an excellent product for the NY circuit, Ernie. Marc did the figs while Brad did the trips and read between the lines. No comment on Marc, but Brad is an excellent, devoted, value oriented handicapper, who is a pretty good guy too. They also published a weekly newsletter which was very good. Doug Kaplan assisted in that endeavor with very good pedigree information. All were Sports Eye alumni :jump:

Andy, I'm looking forward to the show! Thank you for looking out for the serious players and fans :ThmbUp: Best wishes for continued success in all your projects.

speedking

JustRalph
05-17-2007, 11:26 PM
andy, love the format. I just watched the pre-Ky Derby show.

aaron
05-18-2007, 05:07 PM
Andy,
Excellent show with Brad. I particularly liked the last segment on handicapping theory.

Indulto
05-18-2007, 09:48 PM
tlg,
A very good show. A lot of ground was covered, smoothly, reasonably, and pleasantly. Hopefully, a card will present itself in the future where you and your guest will get to give out a good longshot. (I wish the guest had explained his reluctance to endorse a Chelokee single.) :bang:

Anyway, the selections were all justifiably playable, and the horizontal exotic suggestions all seemed worthwhile. Perhaps on subsequent shows you could speculate as to the payoffs you expect in advance on such wagers. Of course a Pick Six ticket could be extrapolated from the early and late Pick fours specified, but I’m surprised that no-one mentioned that the Pimlico Pick Six had a fifty-cent minimum. (Can Youbet accept such wagers?)

Once again your collective selections confirmed my own -- except for the Team Valor entry and the Oaklawn sprinter. I’ll just have to live or die in the Dixie without Remarkable News on the far-outside if I can’t go four-deep, since I too have Einstein on the brain, and am afraid of Mr. Gomez. ;)

I really appreciated your sharing the suspicious Superfecta situation, and pointing out that track operators and ADWs should provide information to the public pinpointing wager sources and amounts. That was exactly the type of transparency I had advocated as #10 on my Racing Czar agenda. :cool:

Keep up the good work. :ThmbUp:

bigmack
05-18-2007, 11:12 PM
I really appreciated your sharing the suspicious Superfecta situation, and pointing out that track operators and ADWs should provide information to the public pinpointing wager sources and amounts.
While full disclosure sounds top notch, how obligated do these entities feel to present the details of where tickets were cashed/placed. I agree that after the P6 fiasco you'd think they'd feel compelled to alleviate any question marks that might linger and be raised by oddities. The way things are going it should be any day now that it will transpire.

WJ47
05-20-2007, 12:51 AM
Andy, that was a great show as usual. I enjoyed the suspicious superfecta talk too. I notice this happens from time to time and they really should offer an explanation.

Wow, what rotten luck poor Einstein has! :( I forgot to mention about the Derby show with Beyer that I had to laugh when I saw who finished in last place in the Derby. I bet that gave him some satisfaction! :)

steel6061
05-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Well I must admit that I thought Flashy Bull would run well but not THAT well. I used him and am happy I did but agreed with you that he was being a little over hyped coming into this race. Talk about stepping it up, you gotta love his fighting back on the rail. Not to rub it in but thats another dunce cap!

-Steel

cj
05-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Uh oh, looks like TLG will be donning that new, improved dunce cap.

John
05-20-2007, 11:06 AM
A REALEEE GREAT SHOW !

:) :) :)

Pace Cap'n
05-20-2007, 01:02 PM
Could anyone briefly expound on this subject for the benefit of someone saddled with an antique computer? (can't get the show to come up)

the little guy
05-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks everyone....I appreciate the kind words. I hope to be able to have Brad on again but unfortunately it will be hard as his Monmouth job will conflict with the times we usually tape the show. Hopefully in the Fall we will be able to work something out.

On the question about when you can view, the most recent show is always available on the site and there is also a link to archived shows where you can pull up all previous shows.

About the Monmouth superfecta......it was the final race on Saturday May 12th. I suggest checking out DRF or Equibase for the exact payoffs. I am not suggesting it was some sort of chicanery, I just wish racetracks would be more proactive about explaining odd seeming payoffs, and thus giving less credence to the built in suspicions many horseplayers have.

joeyreb
05-20-2007, 07:20 PM
good show....

I like to watch all of the Youbet/DRF stuff

point given
05-21-2007, 12:23 AM
Uh oh, looks like TLG will be donning that new, improved dunce cap.

Maybe it should be permanently mounted ! I'm growing weary of handicappers need to expound on a particular horse , ie beyer on curlin in derby and tlg with cowtown cat and now the bull. I have seen enough . they are turning into the heraldo rivera and nancy grace of handicapping !

I will not view the show until after the Belmont, for entertainment purposes only, this I promise myself ;)

Kelso
05-21-2007, 02:05 AM
Could anyone briefly expound on this subject for the benefit of someone saddled with an antique computer? (can't get the show to come up)

MTH - 11th Race - 05/12/07
Finish ... Odds-$1
W ......... 79.60
P .......... 10.50
S .......... 21.90
4 .......... 29.50

$2 Exacta ......... $1,536.00
$1 Trifecta ........ $2,903.10
$1 Superfecta .... $628.70

the little guy
05-21-2007, 02:19 AM
Nobody hit the super......the $626 was for all in 4th.

Kelso
05-21-2007, 02:49 AM
Nobody hit the super......the $626 was for all in 4th.

You're correct ... I missed that. Apologies.

Indulto
05-21-2007, 06:04 AM
Maybe it should be permanently mounted ! I'm growing weary of handicappers need to expound on a particular horse , ie beyer on curlin in derby and tlg with cowtown cat and now the bull. I have seen enough . they are turning into the heraldo rivera and nancy grace of handicapping !

I will not view the show until after the Belmont, for entertainment purposes only, this I promise myself ;)pg,
From my perspective the last show was a success. Each winner of a Pick Six leg, and thus the Pick Four as well, was mentioned for consideration one way or another. It's up to the viewer to evaluate to what extent the additional information supplied should effect their own opinions.

That said, if the show is to continue improving, tlg needs to step up and show us what it really takes to play the Pick Six EVEN if it doesn't win or is BEYOND the average viewer's bankroll. (Players without Partners could hold dances afterwards. ;)) The component Pick Four and Pick Threes for the small player would fall out of that exercise. He'd also reduce opportunities to attack him for not picking a specific race unless he's singling as he did Chelokee.

Personality clashes aside, anyone who doesn't take advantage of the "Playing To Win" discussion prior to the Belmont -- isn't.

cj
05-21-2007, 06:36 AM

I will not view the show until after the Belmont, for entertainment purposes only, this I promise myself ;)

Betting is all about having opinions either for or against various horses. I'd rather hear strong opinions, whether right or wrong, than the same old boring stuff we usually get from "handicapping shows".

I do believe they say at the end of every show to listen, but you don't have to agree, and that your opinion may very well be better than that of the hosts.

SmartyMarty
05-23-2007, 08:35 AM
I do believe they say at the end of every show to listen,

at the beginning of the show,

guyz wit the most brain cells, offer a disclaimer ta the goofy selections ..

ya don't have to be an Einstein to know why.. ;)

cj
05-23-2007, 09:35 AM
at the beginning of the show,

guyz wit the most brain cells, offer a disclaimer ta the goofy selections ..

ya don't have to be an Einstein to know why.. ;)

You do, however, have to be Einstein to interpret that post.

SmartyMarty
05-23-2007, 11:17 AM
Ernie

Wow the great Ernie D...

or a lowly imposter?..

lotsa big names on this board..

never figured this Andy guy could possibly be topped..

too many years ago, I recall Oinee and his hanger-ons in their Yonkers/Roosevelt grandstand seats, mixin it up with those TWIN-DOUBLES..

figured him fer a GA candidate..

I'm alwayz wrong.. :confused:

Tom
05-23-2007, 11:25 AM
There was a disclaimer - I remember chuckling when I saw it, thinking PA might make us all get one for over here, too! :lol:

Cratos
05-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks everyone....I appreciate the kind words. I hope to be able to have Brad on again but unfortunately it will be hard as his Monmouth job will conflict with the times we usually tape the show. Hopefully in the Fall we will be able to work something out.

On the question about when you can view, the most recent show is always available on the site and there is also a link to archived shows where you can pull up all previous shows.

About the Monmouth superfecta......it was the final race on Saturday May 12th. I suggest checking out DRF or Equibase for the exact payoffs. I am not suggesting it was some sort of chicanery, I just wish racetracks would be more proactive about explaining odd seeming payoffs, and thus giving less credence to the built in suspicions many horseplayers have.

A good show and racing needs more shows like the one you host.