PDA

View Full Version : I have a general rant about how people view horse racing

gIracing
05-16-2007, 10:33 PM
How come everytime you see some reference to Horse Racing in TV or a movie (with the exectpion of let it ride), you see some guy either not having a clue what he is doing, or a guy putting his life savings on his horse, only to loose it all by a nose? The guy is labled a degenerate and a loser.

I was watching Footballers Wives on BBC America, and one of the guys placed a 200k bet on a horse he owned... which off the bat I knew was a little too extravagant for a middle of the week wager on a regular non steaks race.

And what happens?

The hrose comes down the stretch, only to fall, and make the footballer a loser, as are all people who have the never to think horse racing is nothing but pure luck:eek:

cnollfan
05-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Virtually no fictional horse races are won wire to wire. Some horse on the outside usually flies by the others like they are standing still, often two or three times in the same race.

Edward DeVere
05-17-2007, 12:06 AM
How come everytime you see some reference to Horse Racing in TV or a movie (with the exectpion of let it ride), you see some guy either not having a clue what he is doing, or a guy putting his life savings on his horse, only to loose it all by a nose? The guy is labled a degenerate and a loser.

I was watching Footballers Wives on BBC America, and one of the guys placed a 200k bet on a horse he owned... which off the bat I knew was a little too extravagant for a middle of the week wager on a regular non steaks race.

And what happens?

The hrose comes down the stretch, only to fall, and make the footballer a loser, as are all people who have the never to think horse racing is nothing but pure luck:eek:

Plus, they always depict racing fans as people who can't spell, and make frequent typos! I hate that!

JustRalph
05-17-2007, 12:21 AM
for a middle of the week wager on a regular non steaks race.

Stakes!!!!

gIracing
05-17-2007, 02:37 AM
I type about 90 WPM and didn't catch it... sorry I have to 100% gramatically correct or my post should be deleted:bang:

JustRalph
05-17-2007, 03:59 AM
When you use "Steaks" it always conjures up something else in my head. See the thread on horse meat............. :ThmbDown:

kenwoodallpromos
05-17-2007, 05:35 AM
If you can type 90 Words Per Mistake you are doing better than me!LOL!!
Horse players are always seen in a negative light because they have no union or lobby.

Zman179
05-17-2007, 07:28 AM
I'm your typical horseplayer, I can lose 90 dollars per minute.

Tom
05-17-2007, 07:38 AM
Stakes!!!!

Maybe not.....Dick Schmidt is talking about horse steaks in another thread!:lol:

Ron
05-17-2007, 01:17 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why gIracing was watching Footballers Wives.

alysheba88
05-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Reality and Hollywood do not go hand in hand

JustRalph
05-17-2007, 03:21 PM

For the Cheeky Babes!!!

ranchwest
05-17-2007, 03:45 PM

Distaff.

Loserdave
05-18-2007, 03:17 AM
I think the reason horse racing fans are portrayed that way is because the people writing the scripts don't actually understand it. And to be honest when I go to the track I see lots of clueless people. Most people I tell that I like horse racing have some sort of misperception about it. They tend to think I'm a degenerate gambler(I'm really just a degenerate) and many choose to enlighten me "Well you know that that is all fixed don't you." I just nod my head. I don't bother trying to explain things to people. But I can see how script writers who probably don't understand it themselves think that gamblers are a bunch of clueless idiots and that all racing is as fixed as wrestling.