PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding Fillies and Mares

alexander99
05-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Skipping all races with fillies and mares will increase your over-all win rate, and R.O.I.

Anyone else agree?

Also...better to focus on sprints- alot more predictable.

tholl
05-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Skipping all races with fillies and mares will increase your over-all win rate, and R.O.I.

Anyone else agree?

Knowing your strengths and weaknesses will increase your ROI, IMO

cj
05-16-2007, 10:44 AM
I have found the fairer sex to be much more reliable.

GaryG
05-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Always has seemed like an old wives tale to me. Like maybe some old timer lost a bundle on a well placed filly and made that pronouncement. I do at least as well with f & m. Of course, it is what works for you that is important....bettor, know thyself.

kenwoodallpromos
05-16-2007, 11:56 AM
I like F and M routes and older races as many are gleaned out earlier to breed, and often the remaining are sounder and maybe race less often.
Some of the most reliable runners I remember even in stakes and in MD racing seem to be the females.

BillW
05-16-2007, 12:02 PM
I always rely on my records. In some situations yes, others no.

bigmack
05-16-2007, 12:44 PM
I've been known to stalk State Bred F&M's patiently waiting for a wretchedly out of form mess to show up aplomb, keying an exotic that requires a signature. When they do hit I'll quietly celebrate by playing Yankee Doodle by hand.

http://www.archive.org/details/CEP00096

sjk
05-16-2007, 01:40 PM
My ROI for F/M races over the last 10 years has been 12% higher than for the males and I don't know why.

jma
05-16-2007, 02:30 PM
I think its a myth---fillies and mares are as good to bet as colts and geldings, at least in my records.

alysheba88
05-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Do better with males myself.

Find geldings especially reliable

bobphilo
05-16-2007, 02:52 PM

Anyone else agree?

My experience does not show that. I also find route races more predictable. The fast pace and hard pouding of sprint races makes sprinters more likely to go off form. I also find that grass performances are more formful for the reason that the surface is kinder to the horses legs. I expect this will prove true for Poly surfaces for the same reason in the future as well. However the tight turns and small inner turf courses offset much of this advantage and makes trips much more important on the grass.
I also find that pace has more effect on route races giving me an added advantage in using pace figures in routes.

Bob

kenwoodallpromos
05-16-2007, 02:56 PM
My ROI for F/M races over the last 10 years has been 12% higher than for the males and I don't know why.
_
Not to be bossy, but you may want to look for a reason (hidden angle) that you can take advantage of more!

sjk
05-16-2007, 03:02 PM
I am open to suggestions.

ImCashinIn
05-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Betting on filly/mare races are much easier. They are more predictable than the boys. Good example is the last triple crown winner was 28 years ago.

cj
05-16-2007, 04:27 PM

Though the timeframe isn't as long, my results are very similar.

john del riccio
05-16-2007, 04:30 PM
I would think if you were to parse your results around the springtime you may see a difference. When the f&m go into heat, they dont have their minds on running.

JOhn

sjk
05-16-2007, 04:37 PM
I have wondered whether the time of year makes a difference but according to my records the ROIs for Q1 and Q3 are slightly better than for Q2 and Q4 but the delta is not that large.

Each of the four is substantially higher than the ROI for the males.

badcompany
05-16-2007, 06:22 PM
From a 1/2 mile harness standpoint, I would agree.

The better f/m events are usually handicap races with the best of the bunch getting the outside posts.

In my experience, those races more often fall into the chaos catagory because the leavers have a harder time getting to the top and are more likely to get caught in a speed duel.

bobphilo
05-16-2007, 09:21 PM
I would think if you were to parse your results around the springtime you may see a difference. When the f&m go into heat, they dont have their minds on running.

JOhn

I sounds possible, but a lot of things that are possible and sound right don't pan out in reality. I'd like to see some stats that show a difference, such as parsing out spring time results, like you suggested.

Bob

BlueShoe
05-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Quote,"I have found the fairer sex to be much more reliable",by CJ.Were you referring to equines or humans?If the former,mildly disagree;if the latter,strongly disagree.

john del riccio
05-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Quote,"I have found the fairer sex to be much more reliable",by CJ.Were you referring to equines or humans?If the former,mildly disagree;if the latter,strongly disagree.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

classhandicapper
05-17-2007, 06:25 PM
Over time, I am sure I have more examples of very high quality fillies running inexplicably bad and then bouncing back with another high quality race right after that than I have found among high quality colts. (obviously I am eliminating layoffs, track condition issues, surface, trip, bias, injuries, and other excuses).

Yet the overall stats seem to suggest that fillies are at least as reliable and perhaps even more so.

So maybe fillies are more prone to throw in complete dud races, but more reliable to run close to their best form if they don't throw in a total dud.

Something like that might explain the perceptions about fillies and the stats too, but I don't know.