PDA

View Full Version : GP's Training Track

karlskorner
12-02-2002, 10:22 AM
For those interested in the coming meet at Gulfstream Park, Magna's Training Track is up and running with about 250 horses on the ground and more coming. Should be a big improvement over last year's short fields.

JimG
12-02-2002, 10:33 AM
Karl...

That is good news for SoFla fans. Last year's meet was a big disappointment for me with the short fields. However at this time of year, I wish Calder would just keep running. Seems like year after year I do well at Calder from Nov.1 until meet closes. Cannot do a thing at Calder in the middle of the summer, however.

Jim

rrbauer
12-02-2002, 10:44 AM
Karl

Where is the training center in relation to GP? Do you know how many horses can be stabled there?

karlskorner
12-02-2002, 05:53 PM
Richard;

It's far from done, went up to look at it last Tues, k/a Palm Meadows Throughbred Training Center, a little over 300 acres west of Boynton Beach, about 50 miles north of Gulfstream Park.

By years end the 1 1/8 mile track and 1 mile turf course will be done, all told will run over $65 million. 75 grooms are now staying at a local Motel 6, come Jan. 200 grooms will be bused to the site. When done about 1400 horses will be on the grounds, another 1200 at GP and probably a 1000 or so at CRC.

You have to give Frank Stronach credit, when he finally does something, he does it right. It's a site to behold.

LOU M.
12-02-2002, 06:19 PM
How long before they build a grandstand and apply for race dates?

Show Me the Wire
12-02-2002, 06:25 PM
Next season!!!!!

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

The more I experience the less I know.

karlskorner
12-02-2002, 06:41 PM
I was having the same thoughts. The land GP sits on is too valuable, 1/2 mile from the beach. There was a time you could see the ocean from the Grandstand, before the Condo's came.

As a Condo site it's worth 5 times as much as Stroanch paid for GP, the same goes for Hialeah, Mr. Brunetti could care less about racing dates when his property is smack in the middle of the city of Hialeah. CRC is just north of Pro Player Stadium (home of the Dolphins and Marlins) and worth much more than the nickle and dime business of horse racing. I have had it good for 30 years, 7 miles from CRC, 14 from GP and 20 from Hialeah. Money talks, BS walks.

syyamo
12-02-2002, 09:30 PM
How big a grandstand would they need? Today CRC had 3500 attend and put $345K thru the windows. Out of state handle was $280K and in state $2.8 million.

Karl: I agree about the land. Always struck me on the trips to the other coast that GP is sitting on top of a goldmine. And it's really only used for what, 4+ months a year. Not a good use of capital if you ask me. Sure will miss the pretty drive into the track throught the palm tree lined road though.

Jaguar
12-02-2002, 10:57 PM
Karl, thanks for the heads-up on Gulfstream, a great old track. My hat is off to Frank Stronach if he can give us full fields this year.

Florida tracks have it rough with Delaware Park bringing in slots and New York and New Jersey going the same way, shortly.

There has been some concern about the future of Florida racing, but your post gave us horse players a boost.

All the best,

Jaguar

Suff
12-11-2002, 09:30 PM
http://www.palmbeachillustrated.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_article&whicharticle=122

Observer
12-12-2002, 12:34 AM
Wasn't Magna supposedly having money troubles to the point where they were on a road of scaling back? Okay, so to me I can't see where they've scaled back, because it seems they continue to go out there hunting for new tracks, but you would have to believe the thought of cashing in on the Gulfstream Park land has at least crossed their mind briefly if they are, over even aren't, having money troubles.