PDA

View Full Version : NJ nonsense

john del riccio
05-14-2007, 08:08 AM
Looks like Breen has wasted no time "getting back to where he once belonged".
Hewins the 25k claimer vs a weak group yesterday running a career best race as the favorite. Breen's horses simply run for him in NJ and practically nowhere else. Keep an eye on him and you will see what I mean.

Good vet work ?

JOhn

ELA
05-14-2007, 11:46 AM
I would guess you are not talking about his NJ Breds. I am not so quick to be a conspiracy theorist, but maybe I am wrong. Kelly Breen gears up for and specifically points to this meet. His activity in FL and NY is miminal and most often I think he's just looking to claim some horses, give them and whatever he has in the barn a bit of a freshening up, and get cranked up for Monmouth.

He hits the entry box hard right from opening day, whereas someone like Orseno, Walder or Broome tends to get settled in, and enter what they enter because they've been racing more regularly. Walder was known for this -- he would ship in, be slow to enter at first, get his horses with a couple of works over the track, and then get a start. He would always start out slow and then come on like gangbusters. That was his pattern. Broome goes to FL with the sole purpose of seeing his babies, claiming some horses, freshening others up, and hopefully breaking even -- at best! LOL.

Don't get me wrong, on the surface, I agree with you. It appears unusual -- at first glance and to the novice eye. Maybe there is a method to the madness, or maybe I am wrong, LOL.

I was thinking of using Breen this year. Not sure. The guy places his horses extremely well, places them aggressively and wins races.

Eric

ELA
05-14-2007, 11:47 AM
BTW, I don't know about this year, but last year Breen used a "racetrack" vet. Nobody private, special, etc.

Eric

john del riccio
05-14-2007, 01:34 PM
I would guess you are not talking about his NJ Breds. I am not so quick to be a conspiracy theorist, but maybe I am wrong. Kelly Breen gears up for and specifically points to this meet. His activity in FL and NY is miminal and most often I think he's just looking to claim some horses, give them and whatever he has in the barn a bit of a freshening up, and get cranked up for Monmouth.

He hits the entry box hard right from opening day, whereas someone like Orseno, Walder or Broome tends to get settled in, and enter what they enter because they've been racing more regularly. Walder was known for this -- he would ship in, be slow to enter at first, get his horses with a couple of works over the track, and then get a start. He would always start out slow and then come on like gangbusters. That was his pattern. Broome goes to FL with the sole purpose of seeing his babies, claiming some horses, freshening others up, and hopefully breaking even -- at best! LOL.

Don't get me wrong, on the surface, I agree with you. It appears unusual -- at first glance and to the novice eye. Maybe there is a method to the madness, or maybe I am wrong, LOL.

I was thinking of using Breen this year. Not sure. The guy places his horses extremely well, places them aggressively and wins races.

Eric

Eric,

What you are saying is definitely true, the majority of his starters are at MTH & MED. Hoewver, I learned a long time ago that when trainers get horses to run much improved races (WRT figures) but fail to come close when they ship out of town, something is definitely up. Surey is a great example of a guy who would have horses run off the screen in NY but when he shipped to MD; nothing. Dutrow was in that mode for a long time as well but he has calmed down an unbeleivable amount recently. Breen doesn't get th esame run from his horses when he ships out of NJ; they can't all fall under horses for courses.

John

o_crunk
05-14-2007, 10:04 PM
broome kind of keeps a steady diet of winners year round. not nearly as much at gs as he does at mth....but enough to see the guy is honest.

walder didn't bring a string to monmouth this year.

volk seems like the x-factor. can't remember if it was him or nixon (who btw didn't bring a string to mth) last year who took a 10k mdn claimer on a 4-5 race win streak on different surfaces and distances. cleared his conditions. missle motor?

breen / bravo...just watch when the babies start coming out. the board tells the whole story. it's so crooked. when breen thinks he's got a baby gangbuster....watch him take the horse to saratoga and get it's booty kicked.

there's just something completely wrong about a jock trainer combo that gets 30%+ winners from 250+ starts at mth, yet doesn't even get half that elsewhere.

haven't seen tony wilson horses out yet...he was pretty interesting last year. kinda came out of nowhere....

saw vaders had a starter on saturday. wtf?

orseno, perkins, henning....they all bring live ones too.

Doc
05-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Couple of things ... first, Vaders has gotten a stay of her suspension by the state racing commission, so it's business as usual.

I didn't realize Peter Walder didn't bring a string to Mth. this year. Damn! I loved betting that guy there.

Tony Wilson didn't do much running horses at Philly over the winter. Hope he starts sending some live ones out now that Mth. is open.

And Scott Volk ... I worship this guy. Saw he had a winner on opening weekend. He has a small stable but boy, is he sharp!

Trainers that don't fire at Mth. - Lake, Vaders, Seeger. Lake and Vaders may be handcuffed by Jersey's stricter medication policies. Then again, Lake isn't winning at the same clip at Philly that he once did.

Doc :)

o_crunk
05-14-2007, 10:25 PM
i like volk too...got some great prices on his horses last year. his pattern isn't the typical one that jumps off the page like other trainers. def sharp.

funny thing is....breen in j-bred company is hit and miss....i think it's because the crowd is so confused. sleeter and broome are deadly in j-bred land. especially sleeter. thompson had one on saturday with the second highest beyer in the field win at 70-1+. only in j-bred land.

violette brought a whole bunch of his B horses down to mth on closing weekend last year. brough coa with him. crowd pounded his horses to pennies on the dollar race after race. i don't think he hit one of them.

i also never like a horse shipping from CA to mth. frankel does this and his horses never fire!