PDA

View Full Version : Opening a Brisnet Account

spilparc
05-12-2007, 09:03 PM
I went to Brisnet to open a "free" account. They REQUIRE a social security number and credit card information--all for a "free" account...I don't think so.

I don't get it. Is this standard operating procedure?

All I wanted to do was use their tote board.

What's the deal?

NoCal Boy
05-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Not sure, but you might want to consider youbet or TVG since Brisbet will not be carrying most of the major tracks this summer.

Spendabuck85
05-12-2007, 09:26 PM
It is standard operating procedure. SS # is required for handicapping contest identification and winnings, credit card is required for product downloads.
Both contests and product downloads become available once you establish the "free" account so this is their way to protect themselves.

bobphilo
05-12-2007, 09:36 PM
As I recall, I would only have been required to give credit card info when I opened my account if that was how I was going to fund my account - I chose another method. They do not charge anything for their services and considering that they usually give you $100 of bets free to start, they have a lot more to offer in betting than just an odds checking service.

Bob

Spendabuck85
05-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Bob - My response was to Brisnet mentioned in his thread, not Brisbet. I happen to use both.

Spendabuck85
05-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Not sure, but you might want to consider youbet or TVG since Brisbet will not be carrying most of the major tracks this summer.

You are correct about Brisbet, but question was about Brisnet. Their free SuperTote covers all tracks even the ones Brisbet is not taking bets on. For example Belmont was available today on the Brisnet supertote.

the_fat_man
05-12-2007, 10:41 PM
I went to Brisnet to open a "free" account. They REQUIRE a social security number and credit card information--all for a "free" account...I don't think so.

What's the deal?

Here's the deal:

Bris is EXTREMELY HIGH TECH.

Their computer security team consists of Computer Science and Physics PHDs that were previously employed by Asian/Russian mobs to crack ONLINE databases of banks, governments, etc. --stealing personal information, while the THEFTEES blamed it all on social engineering -- you know, those well crafted:lol: emails from English as my 4th language types, asking for your personal bank info.

Now, BRIS was able to rehabiliate these intellectuals (well, actually NO) by offering them a good job at good pay.

You, an others, willingly giving BRIS your SS#'s and CC #'s JUST TO look at DATA or TOTE BOARDS (or whatever) should thus REST ASSURED that YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION is SAFE WITH BRIS.

Now, if you believe any of this shit, you're probably as stupid as BRIS thinks everyone out there is, by asking for personal info, when they know (or should know) that they can't adequately secure it.

Now, I basically raised the identical issues last year and, IMO, if a handful of people would just tell BRIS to SHOVE IT
(or something along the lines, of 'sure, you can have my personal info, immediately after I get the personal info of your staff and executive officers') bet they'd back off a bit.

Of course, we wouldn't want to disturb the status quo, cause that's what we're all about here. We practice MIDWESTERN reticence --- never say anything, never complain, take whatever is provided.

P.S. BRIS can kiss my FAT (325 lb) ASS. I'd give up the game before they got any of my business.

Indulto
05-12-2007, 11:07 PM
... You, an others, willingly giving BRIS your SS#'s and CC #'s JUST TO look at DATA or TOTE BOARDS (or whatever) should thus REST ASSURED that YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION is SAFE WITH BRIS.

Now, if you believe any of this shit, you're probably as stupid as BRIS thinks everyone out there is, by asking for personal info, when they know (or should know) that they can't adequately secure it.

Now, I basically raised the identical issues last year and, IMO, if a handful of people would just tell BRIS to SHOVE IT
(or something along the lines, of 'sure, you can have my personal info, immediately after I get the personal info of your staff and executive officers') bet they'd back off a bit.

... P.S. BRIS can kiss my FAT (325 lb) ASS. I'd give up the game before they got any of my business.tfm,
I think it was around that time that a post by PA contained the hilarious suggestion that condom size was the next valuable vital statistic. Obviously one's bicycle seat size would be of more interest to you. :D match.com?

Tom
05-13-2007, 12:12 PM
If you have an account at BRIs, it is assumed you will use it to buy things, so they need the CC. If you do not intend to buy things, they really don't care if you come there or not.
They are a business.

spilparc
05-13-2007, 12:56 PM
If you have an account at BRIs, it is assumed you will use it to buy things, so they need the CC. If you do not intend to buy things, they really don't care if you come there or not.
They are a business.

And the social security number?

Tom
05-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Give them a fake one.
I don't know why they want it. Lots of places want it and have no real need for it.

Beethoven
05-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Give them a fake one.
I don't know why they want it. Lots of places want it and have no real need for it.
I don't even know what one looks like. Is it all numeric? How many digits?

I haven't registered there, yet. If you give me an example I'll try it and report back. Let's see how useful their "security" system is. :)

JoeLong
05-13-2007, 03:04 PM
I don't even know what one looks like. Is it all numeric? How many digits?

I haven't registered there, yet. If you give me an example I'll try it and report back. Let's see how useful their "security" system is. :)

123-45-6789

Lasix1
05-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Give them a fake one.

Do they withhold on winnings over 300-1? If so, that's presumably what the SS# is for.

Tom
05-13-2007, 03:37 PM
123-45-6789

Hey! That's mine! :lol:

BillW
05-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Do they withhold on winnings over 300-1? If so, that's presumably what the SS# is for.

Brisnet does not take wagers - you're confusing it with Brisbet

Tom
05-13-2007, 03:42 PM

BrisNET,not BrisBET.

BRISBET has no lawful use for anyone's SS number.
It occurrs to me you could file a complaint with the the IRS...SS numbers. by law, do not have to be divulged for anyting but tax purposes. Try it - see what happens. BB can not have a good excuse fro using a personal number that can be used for fraud, not a seller only of racing information.

In fact, now that you mention it, I will fomally complain as well.

Maybe if they get a few thousand complaints, BRIS will realize who they are- nobody.

Tom
05-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Brisnet does not take wagers - you're confusing it with Brisbet

Yes. Brisnet will take wagers....... on some tracks. :bang:

spilparc
05-13-2007, 04:11 PM
If I remember correctly, TSN (http://www.tsnhorse.com/cgi-bin/HTML/turfclub.html) also asks for a social security number to access their PPs.

That's why I didn't open an account there either. Too bad. Their PPs are only .50¢

Beethoven
05-13-2007, 05:59 PM

It is?! Gosh, Golly! I better not use it then. LOL

Thanks Joe! You're swell! :)

I'll think of something. How do the numbers work? I'll bet they tell age and state somehow. I should google that.

I won't be violating the taxman (*ahem*), I'm from outside the country. Does anybody know "the code" for New York State on these?

Indulto
05-13-2007, 06:24 PM
It is?! Gosh, Golly! I better not use it then. LOL

Thanks Joe! You're swell! :)

I'll think of something. How do the numbers work? I'll bet they tell age and state somehow. I should google that.

I won't be violating the taxman (*ahem*), I'm from outside the country. Does anybody know "the code" for New York State on these?Hey, Bee, hon.

Pretending to be a member of the opposite gender is orders of magnitude less serious than falsifying one's identity.

If you do manage to come up with a valid SSN and it happens to belong to an existing individual, it's conceivable that you might wind up negatively impacting an innocent individual. At the very least that's inconsiderate, probably unethical, and eventually illegal -- here.

It's definitely immature which is why I suspect you may have already violated the TOS.

trigger
05-13-2007, 07:03 PM

C'mon, are you sure yours isn't 000-00-0000 ?

Beethoven
05-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Hey, Bee, hon.

Pretending to be a member of the opposite gender is orders of magnitude less serious than falsifying one's identity.

If you do manage to come up with a valid SSN and it happens to belong to an existing individual, it's conceivable that you might wind up negatively impacting an innocent individual. At the very least that's inconsiderate, probably unethical, and eventually illegal -- here.

It's definitely immature which is why I suspect you may have already violated the TOS.
Aww! Give a girl a break! What do want, a nudie cam? LOL

And if don't manage to come up with a valid SSN and it doesn't belong to any existing individual, would that be inconsiderate, unethical, and illegal too? What are the odds?

But you do have a point about possibly, accidentally, hitting a real person's number, even if the city and zip code are fake too.

So... I won't do it.

We copacetic here, Daddy? <blows a kiss to take the sting out> :)

Indulto
05-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Aww! Give a girl a break! What do want, a nudie cam? LOL

But you do have a good point about possibly accidentally hitting a real person's number, even if the city and zip code are fake too.

So... I won't do it.

We copacetic here, Daddy? <blows a kiss to take the sting out> :)Your avatar suggests that kisses aren't the only thing those lips blow. I meant whistles, of course.;)

I'm so glad that you've (ahem) come to your senses on this issue rather than your simulated sensuousness. I suspect you'd actually have a lot to offer here under your true personality and we'd not be as co-pathetic as this post indicates, Sugar.:cool:

spilparc
05-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Interesting facts (http://people.howstuffworks.com/social-security-number6.htm) about social security numbers.

Experts suggest you take the following steps to lessen your chances of becoming a victim:

Don't share your SSN when it isn't necessary. (For purchases and business transactions other than banking, trading stock (http://www.howstuffworks.com/stock.htm) or buying property, it isn't necessary.)

the_fat_man
05-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Interesting facts (http://people.howstuffworks.com/social-security-number6.htm) about social security numbers.

Experts suggest you take the following steps to lessen your chances of becoming a victim:

Don't share your SSN when it isn't necessary. (For purchases and business transactions other than banking, trading stock (http://www.howstuffworks.com/stock.htm) or buying property, it isn't necessary.)

why is this remotely novel?

mention to your CC company that Bris wants your SS # in order to process transactions. see what the response will be. they'll tell you there's ABSOLUTELY NO REASON for a merchant to require your SS#.

same BS that happens over at the docter's/dentist's office

why do they need my SS#

when they question why I didn't fill that part out

I basically tell them that it's NONE of THEIR BUSINESS

Imagine Bris goes out of business in 5 years. They want to cash in what's left of their business and sell their client info. Gee, wonder where your SS# ends up. I'm sure when they'relooking to salvage whatever they can they'll be particularly careful to separate their client's SS#'s from the rest of their info.

sure

so, some DOUCH steals my identity

and the government basically tells me TOUGH, fatman

get your affairs back in order, we really could give a *&^#@

LurkingBettor
05-14-2007, 01:15 AM
....IF you happen to play in their (BrisNet's) contests which now get you a seat at the Horseplayer World Series, and, IF you happen to do well enough to win anything, they WILL require a copy of your SS card amongst other proof of identity.

And, they WILL slap a 1099-Misc on your butt faster than you can say Uncle Sam.

And, IF that 1099-Misc happens to be incorrect, good luck on getting it changed. Been there, done that.

Froggy
05-14-2007, 05:34 AM
If you happen to hit a nice tri (300/1) by IRS rules they can't pay you off if they don't have your ssn.

Brisbet also does a credit check to see if you are who you say you are.

And if you just want to register to get free video they don't really want you anyway.

The are in business to make money, not to make freloaders happy.
Froggy

Beethoven
05-14-2007, 08:45 AM
Hey Guys!

Okay, so somebody suggested an idea that turns out not to be a good idea. What do I know? I said I'd try it out and you guys showed me why I shouldn't. So I didn't.

I was trying to be nice by volunteering. I sure didn't mean to kick a hornet's nest!

Thanks for keeping me out of trouble, guys! :)

RonTiller
05-14-2007, 09:28 AM
Check out this link on Social Security Numbers: http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs10-ssn.htm

In particular:
Do I have to provide my Social Security number to private businesses?

Usually you are not legally compelled to provide your Social Security number to private businesses -- including private health care providers and insurers -- unless you are involved in a transaction in which the Internal Revenue Service requires notification. (MediCal and Medicare are government health plans and can require a Social Security number.)

There is no law, however, that prevents businesses from requesting your SSN, and there are few restrictions on what businesses can do with it. But even though you are not required to disclose your SSN, the business does not have to provide you with service if you refuse to release it.

If a business insists on knowing your Social Security number when you cannot see a reason for it, speak to an administrator who may be authorized to make an exception or who may know that company policy does not require it. If the company will not allow you to use an alternate number, you may want to take your business elsewhere.

the_fat_man
05-14-2007, 02:41 PM
And if you just want to register to get free video they don't really want you anyway.

The are in business to make money, not to make freloaders happy.
Froggy

Exactly right. So, it makes perfect sense to GIVE BRIS MY SS# to freeload.

Of course, I could get my FREE STUFF ELSEWHERE,

INCLUDING FREE VIDEO

and enjoy being a FREELOADER where they don't mind me taking advantage of free stuff and I don't put myself at risk.

Paying for something you can get for free is really the way to go, however.

I'm a radical.

skate
05-14-2007, 04:29 PM

What's the deal?

what else can they do for you? if thats their procedure.
if you join.... bingo.

and if you do not join, then give em PAs number.

then you can relax....

and ya, its free.

one more point, Bris does still carry all the tracks, such as HP, AP. etc.but instead of being able to place bet on the NET, you can use the phone.
the odds, pools, scratchs etc. are available on the net, also money tranfers etc.

not ment to hurt feelings, but im from the east coast and kind of, like a CabbageFart

HTRFGuy
05-14-2007, 08:08 PM

I have always been deterred from opening on on-line wagering account because I don't want to give them my SSN.

What online wagering accounts, if any, DO NOT require a SSN?

Thanks

HTRFGuy

Tom
05-14-2007, 08:37 PM
I don't know about off shore, but any in the US probably requrie it for tax purposes. If you can bet off shore and NOT pay taxes, this is a good thing.
I'll be interested to know that myself. :jump:

bigmack
05-15-2007, 12:15 AM
I don't know about off shore, but any in the US probably requrie it for tax purposes. If you can bet off shore and NOT pay taxes, this is a good thing. I'll be interested to know that myself. :jump:
ALL US based offerings ax for a SSnum. MOST/ALL offshores do not.

Beethoven
05-15-2007, 07:09 AM
Hey Guys!

"Much Adon't about Nuthin" (sp?) was the name of this Shakespeare play I tried out for in high school. I would've gotten to play the heroine Beatrice too, except I couldn't memorize all those lines!

Anyway, the reason I mention this, is that this could've been the title for my Brisnet registration. I signed up telling them what country I was from, and they didn't even ask for any social insurance number! LOL

I just thought I'd bring you up to date on it...the eppylog or whatever Shakespeare called it. :)

raybo
05-16-2007, 03:23 AM
I've been a member at Brisnet and Brisbet (AmericaTab) for many years and never had any kind of problem with either. They are sister companies as is TSN (with Brisbet). In Brisnet's agreement statement they state that your personal information will not be divulged to anyone, except the feds, of course, if they investigate you. I have never received any correspondence from a third party resulting from Brisnet's not doing exactly what their statement says they will do, with my personal information. So, if you want to use their service, give them the info they require for membership or try to find somewhere else where you can access every track in the US, for free.

Also, Brisnet does not accept wagers of any kind. Brisnet and Brisbet are 2 separate companies but they work closely together for the convenience of their members. Brisnet recommends Brisbet for online and phone wagering and likewise, Brisbet recommends Brisnet for your data needs. Brisnet is strictly a seller of data products and Brisbet is a wagering portal.

spilparc
05-16-2007, 08:01 AM
Also, Brisnet does not accept wagers of any kind. Brisnet and Brisbet are 2 separate companies but they work closely together for the convenience of their members.

Fine. In that case BrisNET should not be asking for your SSN number when all they are doing is providing data. BrisBET probably SHOULD be asking for SSN numbers because they are accepting wagers.

If you decided, perhaps because you like the product at BrisNET that you enjoyed for free, to open an account at BrisBET then and ONLY then should they be asking for your private information. Otherwise they should not--period.

Look, if you want to provide a product for free the reason this is usually done is to get you to purchase an even better product. Many, but not all, of the people who enjoy the free product will indeed go ahead and make a purchase. But asking for personal data in the interim is unethical at best. This practice should be stopped.

My opinion only, but I'm guessing I'm in the majority.

raybo
05-16-2007, 08:15 AM
Fine. In that case BrisNET should not be asking for your SSN number when all they are doing is providing data. BrisBET probably SHOULD be asking for SSN numbers because they are accepting wagers.

If you decided, perhaps because you like the product at BrisNET that you enjoyed for free, to open an account at BrisBET then and ONLY then should they be asking for your private information. Otherwise they should not--period.

Look, if you want to provide a product for free the reason this is usually done is to get you to purchase an even better product. Many, but not all, of the people who enjoy the free product will indeed go ahead and make a purchase. But asking for personal data in the interim is unethical at best. This practice should be stopped.

My opinion only, but I'm guessing I'm in the majority.

I don't know what the big deal is but I've asked them for their reason for requesting the SSN, I'll let you know what they say. Many merchants ask for SSN's as a matter of course, probably simply as a form of identification to make sure you are who you say you are.

raybo
05-16-2007, 05:59 PM
I don't know what the big deal is but I've asked them for their reason for requesting the SSN, I'll let you know what they say. Many merchants ask for SSN's as a matter of course, probably simply as a form of identification to make sure you are who you say you are.

Ok, here's what Brisnet has to say about why they require a SSN.

"Once you are a member of Brisnet, you have the capabilities, with the right softwares, to
download 10's of thousands of dollars worth of information within a matter of minutes. This
information is required in the event that collections becomes an issue with someone claiming
they never downloaded the information.

Thanks for writing.

Brian Turner
Brisnet.com"

Tom
05-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Well thqt is certainly a BS answer.
They have your CC number. SSN is absolutely not required for what thye say.
I suspect BRIS is a bit loose with the truth.:rolleyes:

raybo
05-17-2007, 07:44 AM
Well thqt is certainly a BS answer.
They have your CC number. SSN is absolutely not required for what thye say.
I suspect BRIS is a bit loose with the truth.:rolleyes:

Well, the response seemed logical to me. Credit cards are lost or stolen every day. They are not a form of ID, as far as I know. I don't have to go into the software thing with you, certainly. It seems that what Mr. Turner said, about the ability of software to download many files on the Bris server in a matter of minutes, is quite possible.

Bris has been around a long time and, as far as I know, they have conducted themselves properly. I don't really care whether or not anyone on this forum uses their data or not, although it would be quite an advantage to me if they didn't, I was merely trying to offer my own experiences with Bris, as being nothing but positive ones, in order to alleviate someone's paranoia concerning Bris' use of their personal info. What the heck would Bris want with your SSN if not for their own protection? Do you really think they would sell it to a third party or use it themselves to steal your identity? Come on people, this is a respected company, one of the most respected ones in the industry. If you feel threatened by their requirement for a prospective member's SSN then don't use their data, but to say they don't have a need for it is only speculation on your part. I'm sure they wouldn't ask for it if they felt there would never be a problem, as Mr. Turner suggested.

Tom
05-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Raybo,
I didn't mean your reply was BS. Sorry if I came off that way.

My concern with BRIS, or anyone having my SSN is that how often do we read in the papers about lost or stolen computers, disks, whatever, with personal information on them?

So why would I suspect BRIS has better security? Far more reliable institutions than a stupid horse racing data provider have put people's financial security in jeopardy.

My cable TV provider has a credit limit on all accounts - you cannot charge past X dollars without verifying the purchases - as a safeguard for what BIRS seems concerned about. In fact, BRIS has that stupid letter box thing they impose on paying customers downloading FREE charts. I view this reply as outright laziness on the part of BRIS and blatant disregard for thier customers.

HTRFGuy
05-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Raybo,

My concern with BRIS, or anyone having my SSN is that how often do we read in the papers about lost or stolen computers, disks, whatever, with personal information on them?

So why would I suspect BRIS has better security? Far more reliable institutions than a stupid horse racing data provider have put people's financial security in jeopardy.

My cable TV provider has a credit limit on all accounts - you cannot charge past X dollars without verifying the purchases - as a safeguard for what BIRS seems concerned about. In fact, BRIS has that stupid letter box thing they impose on paying customers downloading FREE charts. I view this reply as outright laziness on the part of BRIS and blatant disregard for thier customers.

Tom,

I agree, there is something fishy here. You are right on with regard to the potential compromise of Social Security numbers. BRIS is no immune from failures in their security to protect vital data! Simply asserting this as a reality is no reflection upon BRIS intentions.

With regard to misuse of a credit card, any decent merchant credit card processing outfit provides the seller with an authorization of a charge and the seller has the right to decline the transaction. I cannot see that a SSN is of any benefit in this case.

I am at sea why the BRIS respondent did not state the obvious use of the SSN for signers on wagers! Unless they are now asking for SSN to join BRISNet as well as BRISBet? I have been a BRISNet user for years and they do not have my SSN.

PaceAdvantage
05-17-2007, 10:03 AM
My cable TV provider has a credit limit on all accounts - you cannot charge past X dollars without verifying the purchases - as a safeguard for what BIRS seems concerned about.

Good point Tom. BRIS's explanation seems quite wanting...

raybo
05-19-2007, 05:15 AM
Raybo,

I've invited a Brisnet representative to join this discussion. Hope PA doesn't mind.

PaceAdvantage
05-19-2007, 11:33 AM
I've invited a Brisnet representative to join this discussion. Hope PA doesn't mind.

Nope, don't mind at all....in fact, I welcome all sides of any exchange.

linrom1
05-20-2007, 12:07 PM
There should be no requirement for disclosure of SS just to open a Brisnet account to make online purchases, on the contrary, such practice should be illegal, or at the very least discouraged because it's an issue at the very root of identity theft.

TVG is another irresponsible company, they make you disclose all your private information including SS number, date of birth etc, only to tell you that online wagering is not yet available in your state. So why bother to even accept applications from states that TVG chooses not to do business, because of questions dealing with legality of online wagering?

HTRFGuy
05-20-2007, 12:16 PM
There should be no requirement for disclosure of SS just to open a Brisnet account to make online purchases, on the contrary, such practice should be illegal, or at the very least discouraged because it's an issue at the very root of identity theft.

TVG is another irresponsible company, they make you disclose all your private information including SS number, date of birth etc, only to tell you that online wagering is not yet available in your state. So why bother to even accept applications from states that TVG chooses not to do business, because of questions dealing with legality of online wagering?

linrom1,

As I indicated, when I joined BrisNet there was no requirement to disclose my SSN and I have never been asked for my SSN since. I have no idea whether or not it is a requirement if you join BrisNet today as a new client.

BrisBet is another matter entirely.

Jim

linrom1
05-20-2007, 12:30 PM
linrom1,

As I indicated, when I joined BrisNet there was no requirement to disclose my SSN and I have never been asked for my SSN since. I have no idea whether or not it is a requirement if you join BrisNet today as a new client.

BrisBet is another matter entirely.

Jim

How could that be? This a a copy of Brisnet membership form.

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/5919/brisnetbk0.png