PDA

View Full Version : Intimidation

the_fat_man
05-09-2007, 03:23 PM
So, I'm watching Double Fling make a late move in the lane at 6:1.

I know she's a bit of hanger but her last race showed that perhaps she had a little more in her today.

So he comes wide, with a late run

of course, it takes Garcia a few lefty wacks, as the horse DRIFTS OUT, to realize that she's drifting before he switches the whip and she straightens and moves towards the middle of the track

and, my favorite, Castellano, in the duel with the hanger, starts hammering lefty, and his horse drifts out and, of course, forces Double Fling steadily and NOTICEABLY out again ---this happening a bit before the wire and killing any momentum that DF might have

Intimidating a hanger. Beautiful. Let's quantify this.

Garcia should've taken the charge.

ranchwest
05-09-2007, 03:48 PM
So, I'm watching Double Fling make a late move in the lane at 6:1.

I know she's a bit of hanger but her last race showed that perhaps she had a little more in her today.

So he comes wide, with a late run

of course, it takes Garcia a few lefty wacks, as the horse DRIFTS OUT, to realize that she's drifting before he switches the whip and she straightens and moves towards the middle of the track

and, my favorite, Castellano, in the duel with the hanger, starts hammering lefty, and his horse drifts out and, of course, forces Double Fling steadily and NOTICEABLY out again ---this happening a bit before the wire and killing any momentum that DF might have

Intimidating a hanger. Beautiful. Let's quantify this.

Garcia should've taken the charge.

I guess a 1200 pounder coming down the lane is more intimidating than, say, a 250 pounder. ;)

the_fat_man
05-09-2007, 04:22 PM
I guess a 1200 pounder coming down the lane is more intimidating than, say, a 250 pounder. ;)

Perfect description of what losing by a head at 7/1 feels like --- even for a 325 pounder:bang::bang:

JustRalph
05-09-2007, 06:57 PM
you ever met a jock you like?

the_fat_man
05-09-2007, 08:33 PM
you ever met a jock you like?

Ever think about watching a race and learning something rather than just spewing banalities for the ??:? of it?

Tom
05-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Horses only weight 325 lbs?:lol:

the_fat_man
05-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Horses only weight 325 lbs?:lol:

that's MY weight, DOOFUS:lol::D

JustRalph
05-09-2007, 10:26 PM
I got the part about it being your weight. But my question was serious. You bitch about jocks every day it seems. Are there any you like?

PaceAdvantage
05-10-2007, 01:39 AM
Ever think about watching a race and learning something rather than just spewing banalities for the ??:? of it?

I have a serious question. If one were to, as you say "watch races" as diligently as you apparently do, besides becoming a better trip handicapper, would one also suffer the side effect known as prikis gigantis?

My Latin is a little rusty, so I apologize for any misspelling.

Beethoven
05-10-2007, 04:33 AM
I have a serious question. If one were to, as you say "watch races" as diligently as you apparently do, besides becoming a better trip handicapper, would one also suffer the side effect known as prikis gigantis?

My Latin is a little rusty, so I apologize for any misspelling.
My Latin is rusty too Hon, but this looks more like a case of sarcasticus in responsem, to me anyways. It was a fair question though (phrasing aside): What jockey(s) does the Fat Man actually like?

That would be interesting to hear.

Tom
05-10-2007, 07:26 AM
I thought he was the 1200 pounder!:lol:

john del riccio
05-10-2007, 10:42 AM
prikis gigantis?

:lol:

just what i have heard from fats, i'd say he likes prado and maybe dominguez.

john

JPinMaryland
05-10-2007, 11:19 AM
I thought I heard him to say that Dominguez does not finish well, but maybe he is okay with that.

Beethoven
05-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Thanks, guys! :)

Maybe we can hear from the Man himself?

DJofSD
05-10-2007, 01:03 PM
How about fallus majoris?

the_fat_man
05-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Am I still here?

Look, let me take this down a notch.

A few weeks ago, Coa won a race he should've lost by steering his horse out in the late stretch and intimidating, while not physically contacting, another horse that was poised to go by.

The same thing happened yesterday. A horse that has a reputation as being a HANGER puts in, IMO, an improved effort last time out. I try her yesterday at 7:1. She makes a move on the outside and is kind of poised to go by the leader (though it's definitely IFFY that she will)

when, Castellano, on the leader, steers his horse out INTO my horse, ITIMIDATING her (without physical contact) and keeping her at bay. She loses by a neck.

This post was not a rant against Garcia, who rode the horse in question. Garcia blows alot of rides (see the HOBBITONTHEROCKS effort in the Bayshore and his ride on the Tagg filly firster on the turf last week --if memory serves me correctly) but he didn't do anything wrong in the race. Castellano just rode better than he did. He's a better jock. ANd thus, he won a race he shouldn't have.

My point, here, is that there are so many things (things that escape some of us) that factor into a win; or a loss. And there's DELICIOUS IRONY to all of this. Irony that should be appreciated by those who love the game. Maybe we love it so much because of the irony; because of the UNFAIRNESS.

That's it, nothing more; nothing less. This is not a BITCHING POST about a jockey.

When a jock blows a ride, I typically spell it out. Not the case here, once again.

As for who I think can ride:

Prado is probably the best

Dominguez is a great tactical rider and especially HUMANE --- though his whipping action is extremely poor ---maybe cause he's not whip happy

cj
05-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Let us not forget the odds you are getting are impacted big time by the person on the back. If you switch riders, you may win, but you may also get 5 to 2 and not 7 to 1. Mabye then you don't bet. Funny game...

BeatTheChalk
05-10-2007, 05:29 PM
How about fallus majoris?

"" This is a Magnum 44 the most powerful weapon in the world "..etc etal
and the best line in that entire movie was.......
** I JUST GOTS TO KNOW **

Beethoven
05-11-2007, 01:57 PM

As for who I think can ride:

Prado is probably the best

Dominguez is a great tactical rider and especially HUMANE --- though his whipping action is extremely poor ---maybe cause he's not whip happy

Thank you, kind Sir! :)

But there are so many races out there, so very many jocks to consider.

Could you list about another ten that are almost as good, the top of the next tier?

This is just me mind, but my intuition tells me that jockey/trainer combinations are a real factor in some of the results. So, it's something I'd like to learn about.

And who better to teach me! Whaddyou say, Hon?