PDA

View Full Version : DEL

john del riccio
05-09-2007, 05:45 AM
This place is strange. New meet, 5 & 6 horse fields and a breakdown almost everyday. This place had a rep of "anything goes" WRT medication but now it seems like there are fuller fields at PHA where the purses are about 30% less.

John

DanG
05-09-2007, 09:30 AM
This place is strange. New meet, 5 & 6 horse fields and a breakdown almost everyday. This place had a rep of "anything goes" WRT medication but now it seems like there are fuller fields at PHA where the purses are about 30% less. John
“Strange” certainly sums it up John;

Former local Tampa horse owner, radio host (Chris Thomas, RIP) called it the oddest racing surface in the universe.

I don’t have the link to the article, but it stated the owner is playing hardball with outfits on assigning stalls. (Including Pletcher of all people) Ownership claims they are fed up with stables using their grounds just to ship out and run.

Obviously increased competition with neighboring slots is going to leave Delaware in a bind.

Side note: I haven’t been there in many years, but it was one of the best kept secrets in racing as far as beautiful surrounds, walking ring etc…Great way to spend a Sunday back in the 70’s. :ThmbUp:

jma
05-09-2007, 10:22 AM
I don't know about the situation with stall space (thanks for that info), but I'll add that Delaware always has short fields this time of year. It's the big barns with their Gulfstream shippers and the usually low-percentage locals who only run at Delaware. Turf racing starts soon (they do have a good turf course), which will help somewhat. I think that PHA might get more of the NY and especially NJ horses from November to May, which helps field size there. With purses going up at Philly, I don't imagine the field size situation at Delaware is going to be better in the future.

After a quick check, I only see one breakdown in the past five days of racing. Two other horses lost their riders, but the horses didn't break down. That's a small sample of course, but doesn't appear to be anything out of the ordinary.

cash2
05-09-2007, 12:21 PM
I'm told that there are three hundred empty stalls on the backside. Lots of races never fill. Latest rumour is that this is all ok with the management. If the meet continues on this way, the suits will go to the state and cry that they need to cut back and not run the mandatory number of dates specified in the slots agreement. There is no reason for Del to be running five days a week.

On the other hand the walking ring and adjacent grove still look good and they did a nice job of refurbishing the clubhouse.

kenwoodallpromos
05-09-2007, 01:26 PM
I see no reason to give free stalls and the horses not running there; might as well give the stalls to pleasure riders.

Tom
05-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Dan...agree - it remined me of Saratoga, only not as many people.
Beuatiful track, inside and out (easy chairs set around TV monitors! I fell asleep and missed my best bet one day).

If they have short field, maybe they need to replace thier racing secretary..I thought they had big buck slot purses there.....if you can't fill races with big bucks, something is wrong.

OTM Al
05-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Delaware always seemed like scratch central to me. Too many times I've looked up at a field that's gone from 9 to 4 horses on scratches on a dry day. Don't even bother with the track because of it because you never know who's really going to run.