PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain this?

highnote
05-09-2007, 02:16 AM
The U.S. gov bought an historic ranch in N.Dakota for $4.8 mil plus $500,000 from conservation groups. The ranch will become part of the National Park system.

I have no problem with that.

However, they have to sell parts of other N.Dakota Park land to balance the transactions. OK. Fine.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070508/badlands_ranch.html?.v=1

But the part I don't get is this:

"The deal requires the Forest Service to sell an equal number of acres in North Dakota to balance the acquisition, and to assure continued grazing and other activities on the ranch, including oil and gas development"

Now, will the lands that the Forest Service sell also have grazing, other activities and oil and gas development, or can they sell land that is not useful -- and at what price -- and how many acres?

In other words, can the Forest Service sell less valuable land to balance the acquisition. Or do they have to sell land that is as equally valuable? Maybe they will sell land that is not grazable, or has no oil and gas?

When ranchers graze on public land do they pay rent on that land?

When oil and gas developers drill, is a royalty paid to the U.S. gov?

I have no problem with Public lands being used by private entities. But I hope my tax dollars are not subsidizing private entities.

Does anyone know how these things work?

JustRalph
05-09-2007, 01:25 PM
But I hope my tax dollars are not subsidizing private entities.

Wow! After that line above, You are going to have tons of stuff to bitch about.

My latest favorite on this subject is a group in California and Texas that is using Government funds to print pamphlets and give classes to Illegal Aliens. The pamphlets and the classes teach them how to avoid law enforcement and how to "not cooperate" with the government................

DJofSD
05-09-2007, 01:31 PM
Hey, JR -- are those pamphlets going to be updated to say 'do not duplicate/tranfer videos'?

kenwoodallpromos
05-09-2007, 01:32 PM
"The deal requires the Forest Service to sell an equal number of acres in North Dakota to balance the acquisition, and to assure continued grazing and other activities on the ranch, including oil and gas development".
Your quote says nothing about the quality or resources of the the land they are getting rid of, so no.

Greyfox
05-09-2007, 01:37 PM
"The deal requires the Forest Service to sell an equal number of acres in North Dakota to balance the acquisition,

I can't answer your question. But the last time I drove through N.D.....
Forest? North Dakota?
Maybe I couldn't see the forest because of the tree.:lol:

skate
05-09-2007, 02:21 PM
sell land that is not grazable, or has no oil and gas?

When ranchers graze on public land do they pay rent on that land?

When oil and gas developers drill, is a royalty paid to the U.S. gov?

I have no problem with Public lands being used by private entities. But I hope my tax dollars are not subsidizing private entities.

Does anyone know how these things work?

lots of questions, Sweetyjohn, let me try...some....

sure they can buy and sell. oil, gas or grazable or water rights may go with new owner or stay (most likely) with the state.

'do they pay rent', depends on "open range" , with open range, it is free to the animals and if the owner prefers, you can fence off the animals.
lots of land is bringing high rent to farmers for example 'wind mill farms', this is not the same issue.
id assume, if the gov took rent money, a conflict with wind-mill-farms would develope. so, the gov would sell the land,but a private owner would rent.

the oil and gas question is solved ahead of time. in that the oil companys would agree on a payment before they drill.

recently congress complained about the oil cos. not paying high enough taxes on contracts written during the 90s. congress wanted to break contracts.

Not always, but (out west, mostly) if oil is found, you must sell and an arbitration would decide the price.

highnote
05-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Wow! After that line above, You are going to have tons of stuff to bitch about.

Sad, but true. Now that you got me thinking about it, subsidies are pretty common. The American farmer might not be able to survive without subsidies.

My latest favorite on this subject is a group in California and Texas that is using Government funds to print pamphlets and give classes to Illegal Aliens. The pamphlets and the classes teach them how to avoid law enforcement and how to "not cooperate" with the government................

Only in America. :faint: :rolleyes:

JustRalph
05-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Hey, JR -- are those pamphlets going to be updated to say 'do not duplicate/tranfer videos'?

:lol: