PDA

View Full Version : Does politics influence your friendships?

betchatoo
05-08-2007, 05:31 AM
There was a lot of back and forth in another thread about whether a poster was being picked on for his politics or his personality. I'm wondering if a person's political views affect the way you think of him/her on a personal basis. If someone reveals himself as a liberal early in your first conversation will you shun him?

Personally, I find other points of view stimulating (unless they are carried out to the annoying level). To paraphrase something that was said a lot during my youth, some of my best friends are conservatives. There are several conservatives on this board that I'd enjoy having a drink with (this is just based on political things, I enjoy everyone who has anything interesting to say about the horses).

So how about it? Can you be friends with someone whose views are nearly a 180 of your own? Or are those people just to stupid or blind to deal with?

JustRalph
05-08-2007, 05:35 AM
I have friends who are very liberal. We get along. My Father in law is a borderline Liberal :lol: and we have a great relationship. In fact we are going to be on a fishing trip together for a week in June.

All of these folks know how I feel about things. They put up with me sometimes, and I them. But overall we are very good friends. There are some things that are more important than politics.

Tom
05-08-2007, 07:37 AM
No problem, as long as they have personalities and act like gorwn ups. That leaves out several here.:lol:

Indulto
05-08-2007, 02:42 PM
... I'm wondering if a person's political views affect the way you think of him/her on a personal basis.

... If someone reveals himself as a liberal early in your first conversation will you shun him?

Personally, I find other points of view stimulating (unless they are carried out to the annoying level).

So how about it? Can you be friends with someone whose views are nearly a 180 of your own? Or are those people just to stupid or blind to deal with?B2,
Interesting question. Like JR, I have family and personal connections that transcend politics and so with them, proper perspective is maintained despite differences on political issues.

I haven't been tested yet by the conservatives in my life because none of them are Bush/Cheney supporters and all find Rush ranting and Robertson revelations ridiculous. The liberals in my life are not (or are no longer) activists, and so I tend to provoke them less than in the past.

With new acquaintances, differences in positions on Iraq, corruption, constitutional rights, and the role of religion in politics are all deal-breakers unless they are under 21 or currently serve in the Military. I just don’t have the patience to listen any more.

I'm not turned off by the frequent contending opinions I encounter in positions on abortion, the death penalty, immigration, heallthcare (except medicare prescription policy), gambling, or the individual's role in society.

bigmack
05-08-2007, 03:29 PM
I don't give a rats ass about my friends political beliefs. As long as they're worse than me in golf, tennis & poker they're on my dance card.

I may re-think that as this Rasmussen poll illustrates how 35% of Democrats believe Bush knew about 911 before it happened.

35% http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/avatar_1500.gif

lsbets
05-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Doesn't make a difference to me at all, I have great friends who have lots of different political beliefs.

rastajenk
05-08-2007, 03:49 PM
I have some longtime friends of the liberal persuasion who have begun to be more, uh, upfront, confrontational, outspoken...the right word eludes me but it's along those lines...and it gets tiresome quickly. I don't like them less for being liberal, but their constantly politicizing everything is eroding our relationship. One is a teacher, the other had a career in the bureaucracy, so they've been drinking the KoolAid for a long time, but it's only been during the Bush years that they seem more aggravated all the time. It's a shame, but it's of their own choosing, not mine.

chickenhead
05-08-2007, 03:56 PM
I got tired of people who railed against Clinton all the time, and I've gotten tired of people who rail against Bush all the time. I like people who are thoughtful, who spark good conversations, who make me think, who make me says "ahhh, I've never thought of it like that". That doesn't have much to do with politcal persuasion.

That said, about 90% of my friends are liberal, about 90% of my family is conservative.

46zilzal
05-08-2007, 04:02 PM
people are people: different in all ways. Just keep religion out of the conversation and I am fine. The majority have no distinct classification and I never think of them one way or the other: that's what friend are like, immune to these labels.

That is unless yor name is Norris Pannell the reactionary winner of the century.

Indulto
05-08-2007, 04:10 PM
...I like people who are thoughtful, who spark good conversations, who make me think, who make me says "ahhh, I've never thought of it like that".Despite the claim that this board doesn't change anybody's mind, I encounter the situation you describe more frequently here than off-board where most people I come into contact with have little time to reflect on anything that doesn't affect them directly.

Light
05-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Doesn't make a difference to me at all, I have great friends who have lots of different political beliefs.

Gee LS,I would think you would be ready to kick their ass for thinking differently than you.You told me so.

One thing that is different in cyberspace as opposed to real life discussion,is you wouldn't talk the same way in reality. Not because of what LS may think,that you would be intimidated,but because their is a more comprehensive and relevant relationship that immediately takes place between individuals meeting in person due to sensory perception.

GaryG
05-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Gee LS,I would think you would be ready to kick their ass for thinking differently than you.You told me so. No, I'm pretty sure he was just talking about YOU.

ranchwest
05-08-2007, 04:32 PM
People are either interested in politics becaused their political direction has been molded over a lifetime of experiences or they have little interest in politics.

In either case, there's not much chance of influencing folks' politics, so I try to stay away from politics even though I'm pretty much politically aware. Political discussions usually end with a lot of head shaking, scratched sensitivities and elevated adrenalin. Not much else happens.

lsbets
05-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Gee LS,I would think you would be ready to kick their ass for thinking differently than you.You told me so.

Thinking differntely is one thing. Spouting Nazi crap is another. You have established quite the reputation for doing the latter.

lsbets
05-08-2007, 05:41 PM
No, I'm pretty sure he was just talking about YOU.

Bingo! :jump: :jump: :jump:

Steve 'StatMan'
05-08-2007, 07:18 PM
I have quite a number of friends who lean to the liberal side at the track, and a few conservatives as well. But politics rarely ever comes up in our discussions, thankfully. We have so much more in common and so many shared interests, that we're able to put that aside in our racetrack friendships, and focus more on analyzing the next race, or disceting the past race, or what is going on in each others personal lives, or the issues facing racing and our local track/circuit issues.

Only knowing someone by their politics, and talking/arguing politics, that is pretty defining and limiting. Might be the first and initially developed impressions thing I guess. I'd rather know someone first, become friends, and later just disagree with their politics. But if the person's politics is first and foremost how they want to be known, that sets the tone of the relationship from the begining.

Helps to find the common ground first to build the friendship, than to start off in disagreement, and then wondering if one could or would be able to find enough common ground to change impressions.

(Doesn't have to be politics, any potentially strong devisive category will do.)

Secretariat
05-08-2007, 07:22 PM
I've friends of both political persuasions, but we rarely talk politics.

Light
05-08-2007, 07:31 PM
No, I'm pretty sure he was just talking about YOU.

I'm just a face in the crowd.There are many people who say what I say. With Bush's approval rating down to 28%,LS has alot of work ahead of him kicking ass after ass just because they disagree with him. Don't work too hard now LS.Take a break once in a while. Remember to breathe.

46zilzal
05-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Even at 28% we have things like this to listen to:

"And the definition of success as I described is sectarian violence down. Success is not no violence. There are parts of our own country that have got a certain level of violence to it." Washington, D.C., May 2, 2007

I love the double negative...Verbal dyslexia at it's finest, almost everyday!!!

Despite Dubya's puzzling comments, I'm pretty sure that the number of random executions and car bombings in Detroit (or Houston, or Seattle, or Washington, D.C.) is significantly lower than anywhere in Baghdad...

bigmack
05-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Even at 28% we have things like this to listen to:

"And the definition of success as I described is sectarian violence down. Success is not no violence. There are parts of our own country that have got a certain level of violence to it." Washington, D.C., May 2, 2007
It was then that he had realized that zilly had done it again. Takin' a decent thread and pulled a U-ie

http://www.dmv.de.gov/images/nouturn.jpg

lsbets
05-08-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm just a face in the crowd.There are many people who say what I say. With Bush's approval rating down to 28%,LS has alot of work ahead of him kicking ass after ass just because they disagree with him. Don't work too hard now LS.Take a break once in a while. Remember to breathe.

Most people who don't like Bush don't fall into the category of terrorist lovin, Nazi quoting extremists. I'd say you fall into a category of less than .01%, unless you're polling the Taliban, then you fit right in.

Lefty
05-09-2007, 12:29 AM
ls, you beat me to it. Criticizing Bush is one thing; denigrating the U.S. and Israel and never a bad thing to say about our enemies is a far cry from mere disagreement.

That said, I have many liberal friends. They don't like Bush, but they do like their country.

Light
05-09-2007, 01:18 AM
Most people who don't like Bush don't fall into the category of terrorist lovin, Nazi quoting extremists.

The only one who acts like a Nazi here is you. Nazi's were allways seen wearing those ass kicking boots.

JustRalph
05-09-2007, 01:25 AM
The only one who acts like a Nazi here is you. Nazi's were allways seen wearing those ass kicking boots.

Are you twelve? What a Dork............ :ThmbDown:

BlueShoe
05-09-2007, 02:27 AM
Since I am just an old hard rightwing redneck that takes delight in not ever being PC,I am going to say,yes is does make a difference.In a way,this is a sad commentary on our times,Americans have become polarized.I have such utter contempt and hatred of the political Left that it does carry over into personal relationships.Compard to myself,Ann Coulter(love that girl!) and Michael Savage sound absolutely complimentary when sticking it to the Lefties.Must admit that many liberals are nice guys,but do not have any deep friendships with them,just casual,like at the track.Do enjoy heated debates with liberals every now and then.One of my delights is verbally tying in knots a Leftie that is more intelligent than myself and far better educated in a formal sense.My dream target to torment would be a far left professor from UC Berkely.These are the insufferable types that fervently believe that they were destined to rule the world and that only their beliefs and opinions are worth anything.

highnote
05-09-2007, 02:47 AM
I agree with Lefty about 0% of the time, but I would love to meet him one day and have dinner with him.

I'd much rather have dinner with him than W or Hillary.

But that wasn't really the question. Yes. I have friends that span the entire political spectrum. Then again, I tend to be middle of the road so it makes sense that my friends fall left and right of me.

PaceAdvantage
05-09-2007, 03:45 AM
These idiots can't stay on topic for two seconds. Always gots to be about Bush or some freakin' poll (NEWS FLASH....BUSH ISN'T DOWN to 28%, he's been HOLDING STEADY @ 28% for quite some time now.....GET IT STRAIGHT!)

You base your friends on their integrity, honesty, morals, personality, etc. etc.

Who the hell bases their friends on POLITICS!?!?!?

highnote
05-09-2007, 04:14 AM

So is it safe to assume that your answer to Betchatoo's question is "no"? :D

ljb
05-09-2007, 07:43 AM
The majority of people I consider friends. Golf, poker and other social activities were Bush supporters. Haven't taken an actual poll but a minority seem to still seem to have silent support for him.

betchatoo
05-09-2007, 08:50 AM
These idiots can't stay on topic for two seconds. Always gots to be about Bush or some freakin' poll (NEWS FLASH....BUSH ISN'T DOWN to 28%, he's been HOLDING STEADY @ 28% for quite some time now.....GET IT STRAIGHT!)

You base your friends on their integrity, honesty, morals, personality, etc. etc.

If you read some people on this board, they will tell you that they know everything about a person's values by their political affiliation. i.e. All you neocons think is.... or, all libs believe...

betchatoo
05-09-2007, 08:57 AM
I agree with Lefty about 0% of the time, but I would love to meet him one day and have dinner with him.

I'd much rather have dinner with him than W or Hillary.

But that wasn't really the question. Yes. I have friends that span the entire political spectrum. Then again, I tend to be middle of the road so it makes sense that my friends fall left and right of me.
Funny you mention Lefty. I have thought the same thing. I never agree with him about anything, but I'd happily buy him a beer and/or have a meal with him.

Tom
05-09-2007, 10:40 AM
I know and have worked with many liberal thinkers. We dicuss politics, we dissagree, we have dicussions, and sometimes we change eachother's minds on things.

In the real world, I don't know very many lib extremists like the few we have here. Like Lefty says, they don't like Bush (I don't like Bush! but we have common ground.

The mouthpieces here have agendas.

PA hit the nail - I am friends with people who share common interests, problems goals.

ljb
05-09-2007, 12:40 PM
I know and have worked with many liberal thinkers. We dicuss politics, we dissagree, we have dicussions, and sometimes we change eachother's minds on things.

In the real world, I don't know very many lib extremists like the few we have here. Like Lefty says, they don't like Bush (I don't like Bush! but we have common ground.

The mouthpieces here have agendas.

PA hit the nail - I am friends with people who share common interests, problems goals.
Tom,
This is not the real world and I don't know very many right wing whackos like the few we have on here.
I don't like Bush, never did. In some eyes that makes me an extremist, in my eyes it is more of a realistic view.

Tom
05-09-2007, 12:45 PM
I deny you exist.
Go away.

BlueShoe
05-09-2007, 06:44 PM
It is human nature to form your closest relationships with those that have attitudes similar to your own.While associating with those with differing opinions can be intellectually stimulating,long term deep friendships may be put under a strain.The most obvious example would be marriage.Are you now in a marriage with a spouse on the opposite side of the political spectrum,and has this put a strain on the marriage?Have you ever seen such a relationship to work on a long term basis and be a success?Sitcoms have been aired on this theme,but TV is fantasy,not reality.Would think that a marriage between a member of the Communist Party and a member of the John Birch society would be doomed,just to give a rather extreme example.

ljb
05-09-2007, 06:50 PM
I deny you exist.
Go away.
So now you are in a state of denial. Figures. But on a more positive note denial is the third step in recovery.

Lefty
05-09-2007, 08:11 PM
swety, bet, I feel the same. When you get to Vegas, let me know. Only hope you're buying.

highnote
05-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Are you now in a marriage with a spouse on the opposite side of the political spectrum,and has this put a strain on the marriage?Have you ever seen such a relationship to work on a long term basis and be a success?

Schwarzenegger (spelling?) and Kennedy.

betchatoo
05-09-2007, 08:54 PM
swety, bet, I feel the same. When you get to Vegas, let me know. Only hope you're buying.
I'll be there from the 3rd of July to the 9th. Maybe we can find time to have a beer and/or handicap a race. And yes, I'll buy.

BlueShoe
05-09-2007, 09:24 PM
AhNold is married to Maria Schriver,the niece of JFK.As for political differences,the two of them are not that far apart.She is a moderate Democrat,not a radical,and he most certainly is no conservative and has never been one.

Lefty
05-09-2007, 09:37 PM
bet, if you can get to Jerry's Nugget we'll certainly handicap that race. Alas, gave up drinking 20 yrs ago. Beer for you, diet Coke for me. Yummy...

betchatoo
05-09-2007, 11:57 PM
I'll contact you as the date draws nearer and see if we can make it happen