PDA

View Full Version : Zone Alarm / True Vector

LurkingBettor
05-08-2007, 01:18 AM
Posting this for a friend that apparently tried to do an update to Zone Alarm and now constantly gets an error box, or two, or three, saying:

True Vector service has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost. For more information about this error, click here.

Best we can figure, the update didn't install correctly, and now it won't let you uninstall or delete associated files. Found some stuff on the internet about a program called JV16 that might clean up the mess, but thought I'd run the problem by the puter gurus on this board first.

Any advice appreciated. TIA

kitts
05-08-2007, 01:35 PM
I have the pay-for Zone Alarm but I resisted the pay-for upgrade a couple of years ago. I do get that message sometimes when shutting down but I just wait a short while and the message goes away. Maybe I'm just lucky and this does not help in which case this is just a "social call."

robert99
05-08-2007, 03:19 PM
I had that problem 2 years ago in the paid version after an update carried out to ZoneAlarm instructions - there was a huge number of complaints on their forum at the time - tried everything they advised, but it could not be resolved. Sounds like it remains and issue. So ditched ZA (my time's too valuable) and changed to Kaspersky and Comodo and had no problems.

JV16 is a good set of programs but the True Vector fault is more than a Registry issue.

JustRalph
05-08-2007, 07:19 PM
to get rid of the error message try this

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
To disable ZoneAlarm, follow these steps: a. Click Start, and then click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
b. In the System Configuration Utility, click the Services tab.
c. Click to clear the True Vector Basic Login and the True Vector Internet Monitoring check boxes.
d. Click the Startup tab, click to clear the check box next to any ZoneAlarm startup item, and then close the System Configuration Utility. Then reboot the system.

You can then try to reinstall zonealarm to repair the entire thing. good luck.

LurkingBettor
05-09-2007, 12:49 AM
Thx for the input guys, esp. JR. Always wait to see what you suggest before proceeding.

Good to see you posting on that other board, too!

JustRalph
05-09-2007, 01:22 AM
Thx for the input guys, esp. JR. Always wait to see what you suggest before proceeding.

Good to see you posting on that other board, too!

Thanks........ I am trying to keep a low profile..... :lol: :lol: :D