PDA

View Full Version : Odds Line Help?

jcwilb
05-07-2007, 01:00 PM
I have been lurking on these boards for awhile and this is my first post so go easy guys...

I have been handicapping for about 27 years since my father first took me to "The Renton Oval" (Longarcres) when I was 12 years old. Previous to the last 18 months or so I had been a traditional form reader & hunch bettor with limited success, but still enjoying the game!:)

My current strategy has been moderately successful for a small bettor (~15% ROI on my last 2,500 bets) win betting for the most part with exactas/tris thrown in where I see fit. I am currently using BRISBET and embarassed to say ProfitLine as my fair odds line.

My question to you experts is where can I find a good fair odds line? I know creating it myself is what many recommend, but I don't have the time to spend crunching mumbers, and would happily pay for a service or black box type of software. My application of the odds line is where my limited time is best spent as I continue wager, work and raise 3 young children.

Thanks to all for your help on this board, and I hope to participate and offer what little I know in the coming months and years.

JW

JimG
05-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Hi JW and welcome to the board. This is not an endorsement by me whatsoever, but I am aware of a couple of things that may interest you.

1) Steve Fierro does an oddsline for select tracks. You can get in touch with him at www.racedayusa.com (http://www.racedayusa.com)

2) Trackmaster has an oddsline they sell called Valueline at www.trackmaster.com/track/select/tmv.htm

I have not used either product but these are the ones I am aware of other than oddslines produced by various commerical software programs.

Jim

Tom
05-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Welcome JW....

I can recommend Steve Fiero's book The 4 Quarters. You hav eto actually make the line, but not like a math homework problem.
He has basic templates you use, just handicap the race, decide what typeof race it is and how good the horsese arae and plug in pre-figured out odds for the top 3 horses. You can also buy his odds lines for select tracks. Send ma PM or email and I'll tell you where....not sure they are paid advertisers here, so I don't want to post it publically.

Also, you could look at BRIS software - ProCaps has an odds line and lots of other stuff to boot.

Good luck

betovernetcapper
05-07-2007, 02:48 PM
I'm not an expert, but the best line I've found is created by The Capper

http://www.netcapper.com/index.html

I like it because I can see how well the line is working at a given track.

I wouldn't bad mouth the lines created by HTR-Equisim or Handicappers OS, this is just the line I'm most comfortable with. :)

ryesteve
05-07-2007, 03:05 PM
If you're at +15%, I wouldn't change what you're doing.

jcwilb
05-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Jim G - I found Fierro's style extremely similiar to mine. I can't believe I have never come across his site. I may order the book, but his site has only a few tracks and I'm looking for a multiple track solution. I bet alot of late cards and weekends mostly. ValueLine seems real overpriced at $10 a track with my bankroll.

Tom - Again, Fierro's book seems interesting and if the line is as easy to create as you say it may work. I'll check it out and get back with you.

betover - Looks solid but a bit pricey to get set up. I realize that it's going to cost me to get this info, I just need to have the confidence to step up. I have been thinking about expanding my bankroll and increasing my wager size/volume. If I do, I could justify this.

ryesteve - Well, is that respectable? Is 2,500 races a big enough sample size? I have heard ProfitLine mocked in some of the boards. It's integrated, free, convenient, and it's working. You may have a good point.

Thanks for all of your responses gentlemen. What a great community!

BetHorses!
05-10-2007, 08:26 AM
I am currently using BRISBET and embarassed to say ProfitLine as my fair odds line.

JW

Why embarassed? Their rankings are good, their line is fair. Do you use the best value or highest odds of the top 5?

jcwilb
05-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Usually the best value is chosen but depends on how the race looks. I don't bet under 2/1. 12/1 PL off at 20 doesnt look as good to me as 5/1 PL off at 8. My goal is to cash tickets.:) In this case I would most likely use both in some form of ex/tri, first leg of pick 3. Glad to see that others have had success!

I have looked for information on how ProfitLine is produced but I have never found anything other that it includes many bris variables. Do you know where to find the formula or what it favors? Just curious.

Was only able to bet 3 races last night before little league and went 3 for 3. Love to see those big "red" numbers on ProfitLine:cool:

BetHorses!
05-10-2007, 08:33 PM
I have looked for information on how ProfitLine is produced but I have never found anything other that it includes many bris variables.

I understand the formula uses the best 2 of last 4 races regardless of Distance and surface