PDA

View Full Version : Woods in the Hunt

bigmack
05-06-2007, 05:26 PM
How is it when Woods is within 2-3 of the leader going into Sunday that other players appear to just wither? I play my best golf when I have a relaxed quietness about my play though when involved in a tournament or match play with chums you have to balance a "fire in the belly" drive to win with the quietness of playing well.

Do all of the other players on the PGA tour lack the skill set to toughen out a victory that only Tiger possesses? Without throwing out a major animadversion most of the players could do well with a boatload of sessions to a sports psycohlogist.

shanta
05-06-2007, 05:47 PM
How is it when Woods is within 2-3 of the leader going into Sunday that other players appear to just wither? I play my best golf when I have a relaxed quietness about my play though when involved in a tournament or match play with chums you have to balance a "fire in the belly" drive to win with the quietness of playing well.

Do all of the other players on the PGA tour lack the skill set to toughen out a victory that only Tiger possesses? Without throwing out a major animadversion most of the players could do well with a boatload of sessions to a sports psycohlogist.

Mack
Tiger is the "Alpha male" in the sport man and these others KNOW it. He intimidates them both physically with his tools and more importantly mentally with his desire to win EVERY time.

Very similar to horses. Last year's Preakness comes to mind. When the horses all were together there was NO doubt that Barbaro was the alpha male of the lot. Bernardini would not even raise his head to look him in the eye. While I am NOT a paddock expert this scene was so obvious to anyone watching it was crazy.

Michael Jordan on the hoop court. Same thing. Different environment.

They dominate the others before the event even takes place.

My opinion anyway.
Richie :)

bigmack
05-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Fair point Richie. When Barbaro stepped off the trailer for the Preakness he looked like Elvis from the '68 Tele Special.

There's a guy @ a club that could golf the H_E double hockey sticks outta me but when we go match play he falls apart under the pressure. I understand the alpha angle, I just wonder how much time these guys put into pressure play mental exercises. They so categorically wilt one wonders if they should spend less time with an 9 iron and more time on their minds.

JustRalph
05-07-2007, 12:57 AM
I hate to say it. But Tiger has made the game more boring than ever. I used to love to watch Nicklaus duel it out with some of his contemporaries. Nicklaus btw has finished second in 22 majors........if Tiger gets the record for majors........he deserves all the accolades in the world. Those are the real pressure tournaments. Jack was obviously dueling in his.

Tiger is making these small stops look like babyshit.........and nobody is putting up much of a fight.

DanG
05-07-2007, 02:17 AM
Good points by Richie in an earlier post. :ThmbUp:

I guess I’m in the minority here…TV ratings have soared in every tournament he enters and I feel lucky to see the greatest in history in his prime. 13 under and the competition wilted?

As the late Rodney Dangerfield used to say…”tough crowd”

rastajenk
05-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Amen, Dan. Add to that the fact that he is gracious and humble in post-round interviews, maintains a sense of humor, and in general doesn't act like a pompous ass. A special individual, for sure.

chickenhead
05-07-2007, 09:43 AM
I saw Tiger play at a tourney in SF, just a few feet from him twice as he recovered from various errant drives, he was close enough to touch and I can say without a doubt I have never seen a more focused individual. It was almost startling.

Greyfox
05-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Amen, Dan. Add to that the fact that he is gracious and humble in post-round interviews, maintains a sense of humor, and in general doesn't act like a pompous ass. A special individual, for sure.

Tiger may well be the greatest player of all time. Certainly when he is at his best, he's head and shoulders over todays gang.
I'm not sure others wilt, or if he just doesn't make more shots.
Sunday on the 7 th hole he sank an amazingly long putt.
No telling though how well Jack or Hogan might have been with today's weapons. Jack could smack the ball over 300 yards with Persimmon clubs and duller balls. So comparing the two today is unfair.

As to post round interviews I agree with your assessment.

However, I have a problem with Tiger in play - on the course.
1. I find him pouty. If he misses a putt he grimaces as if he was entitled to it.
2. He's forever fighting off insects, rubbing his eyes, swatting.
3. He does not have the temper control of Nicklaus, Palmer, Player and other greats. He smashes his club into his bag, the fairway and whatever.
For those reasons, I don't enjoy his play as much as I enjoyed the Nicklaus,
Palmer charges. Just don't.

rastajenk
05-07-2007, 11:07 AM
I think those things keep him connected to us regular folks, and thus enhance his likablity. I certainly have outbreaks of temper, and I'm just trying to break 100. He's entitled to his.

Can you imagine a Tiger with the temper of Terrible Tommy Bolt? :eek: That would send golf ratings through the roof!:D

bigmack
05-07-2007, 12:03 PM
I'm not sure others wilt, or if he just doesn't make more shots.
One would be hard pressed to come up with a tournament scenario where someone stepped up and played outstanding golf on a Sunday with Woods within 2 with the exception of a few playoffs.

I agree about the "putt pout", though I question if it's his expression of entitlement, rather a bit of the ole theatrics to enliven the drama of the moment.

rastajenk
05-07-2007, 12:08 PM
This year's Masters immediately comes to mind.

Greyfox
05-07-2007, 12:39 PM
This year's Masters immediately comes to mind.

Agreed.
Here's the link to the Masters Official site and a discussion of Tiger's last roun.
There was not backing off for Zach.
http://www.masters.org/en_US/news/articles/2007-04-08/200704081176084641062.html

DanG
05-07-2007, 01:33 PM
One would be hard pressed to come up with a tournament scenario where someone stepped up and played outstanding golf on a Sunday with Woods within 2 with the exception of a few playoffs.

I agree about the "putt pout", though I question if it's his expression of entitlement, rather a bit of the ole theatrics to enliven the drama of the moment.
As an example of two people watching the same career and developing different opinions;

I don’t quite understand the use of “entitlement” here, but my brother sees the same things you are discussing 'BM as I see just the opposite.

Anyone in this country who is placed under the glare we place on “superstar” athletes / a celebrity etc…and doesn’t wind up in a tower with a rifle I have nothing but respect for. The expectations, requests for time, lack of personal life etc…on this man are beyond belief.

Those of us who could withstand the same scrutiny and come out the other side without developing a least a few ticks is a better man than me. Just the interviews from bitter Johnny Miller alone could be enough for me to go Jack Nicholson on his dome.

He clearly intimidates players on Sunday IMO. His approach is drastically different on rounds 1 & 4 as compared to 2 & 3. Round one he plays not to lose the tournament. Round four he takes as few gambles as necessary to win. He is brilliant at handicapping the Sunday leader board and projecting the necessary risks.

The man is nothing short of remarkable IMHO.

Yikes…so much typing…Can you tell it’s a dark Monday! :D