PDA

View Full Version : Clemens back to the Yankees

billrock
05-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Roger Clemens today announced to the fans at Yankee Stadium that he is going to come back and play for the Yankees this season.

OTM Al
05-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Given that he was the only available good pitcher out there, you knew Mr Steinbrenner was going to go all out for him after the pitching woes of this year. It won't fix everything, but it's certainly no worse than they've got now. Good to see another quality start today too.

GaryG
05-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Given that he was the only available good pitcher out there, you knew Mr Steinbrenner was going to go all out for him after the pitching woes of this year. It won't fix everything, but it's certainly no worse than they've got now. Good to see another quality start today too.At the start of the season I said let him go wherever, but the way things are going I am glad to have him here. Still a long season.

lsbets
05-06-2007, 06:55 PM
I heard $28 million for the year. Is that true?

GaryG
05-06-2007, 07:19 PM
I heard $28 million for the year. Is that true?That's what they say, amounts to $4.5 mil per month.

Dave Schwartz
05-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Did he get that great "stay-at-home-when-not-pitching" clause from George?

rrbauer
05-06-2007, 09:00 PM
I don't know who is more cynical. Clemens or Steinbrenner by their actions; or the baseball commisioner (whoever that is these days) by his silence. Horseplayers are stupid (me included) for supporting a game that pisses on them every chance it gets. But, "major league" baseball (not a business mind you) can't be topped for its continued displays of arrogance and disregard for what used to be a game.

freeneasy
05-07-2007, 05:18 PM
I heard $28 million for the year. Is that true?

comes out to somewhere over $900,000 per :lol:

freeneasy
05-07-2007, 05:21 PM
means he gets paid $1,285,714 per win :lol:

shanta
05-07-2007, 06:52 PM
What it means is kids get the "opportunity" to pony up

$20.00 for a hot dog
$8.00 for a cold one (soda that is)
$9.00 for crackerjack
$50.00 for a Yankees t-shirt

when attending the "National Pastime" :ThmbDown:
Richie

Engrossment is a tool.

JustRalph
05-07-2007, 10:13 PM
I heard on ESPN today that they took his pitch total for the last three years, averaged it out over 20 starts for this season and he gets 11k for every pitch he will throw.........amazing..........btw, I also heard that they thru in a 28 dollar addition to the contract to make sure that he gets one dollar more than A-Rod this season......... :lol:

philsfan07
05-08-2007, 05:07 PM
I used to love Clemens during the Boston days, but somewhere along the way he's become a flat out money whore. It's kind of comical to watch how he treats these teams as bargaining chips.. He's pissed on Houston now, to add to a long list..

It's certainly his prerogative, but as Sportsguy said, he will be the first Hall of Famer to have his photo taken with a hat that has a $ sign on it.

OTM Al
05-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Sportsguy????? What kind of idot is that, animal vegatable or mineral? Me thinks this Sportsguy is just another in the line of modern day talking heads who is insanely jealous of athletes because he wasn't so good.

Name one HOFer that didn't try to bargain his talent for every dime he could get. Please. He made a request that teams were perfectly able to turn down. One team felt his request was worth it. End of story.

Bubbles
05-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Name one HOFer that didn't try to bargain his talent for every dime he could get.Any HOFer that sacrificed a bigger payday to stay with one team for his entire career. Granted, those days are over, I suppose, but they DO exist in Cooperstown.

melman
05-09-2007, 10:30 AM
OTM Al---- Think you really nailed it with the term "insanely jealous", that's all over the place today not just in the sports field. One HOF guy that took less money to stay with his team is the Yanks own Derek Jeter. It's about options and if A-Rod can get $25 mil or Clemens $28 mil good for them. It's all a business decision. Jeter saw more media payoff in NY and stayed. BTW whoever "sportsguy" is I think he makes to much money. :jump:

OTM Al
05-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Bubbles, I understand what you are trying to say, but please do not fall into the trap too many sportswriters try to get us to believe that everything was better in the old days. Free agency has only existed for a little over 30 years and into the 80s owners were colluding to force salaries down, so only players in the last 20 years even had a fair shot at getting competitive contracts. Remember with any contract there are 2 parties signing. Owners must agree to whatever is on that contact too, indicating that they feel the player is worth AT LEAST that much to them, if not more. And this staying with one team thing is a myth. Sure some guys want to stay and will take less cash, but that means they are receiving something that is to them worth at least as much money as they are forgoing by not moving. But again, up to 30 years ago, the players had no choice in the matter

njcurveball
05-09-2007, 03:07 PM
It is a "head scratcher" reading how little a racing group knows about value.

The Seattle Mariners, yes SEE-ATTLE, paid a guy named Jeff Weaver 8.3 million for this year.

So far they have an 0-5 starter with an ERA over 15 who is now blaming the Manager and Pitching coach for trying to change him.

Pitching is now the hardest commodity to find in baseball. So the price has skyrocketed. Clemens was not only a viable option on the field, but also brings much more to the table than innings.

Obvious if you have opened up a sports page or flipped on ESPN in the past few days.

Is he worth the money? We won't know until October, but the Yanks had to pony up the dough.

Just like we know gas is not worth $3 a gallon, but what is the other option? We have to drive and so we do it. The Yanks have to win, so George writes the check.

njcurveball
05-09-2007, 03:10 PM
I used to love Clemens during the Boston days, but somewhere along the way he's become a flat out money whore.

So if Clemens gets $20 million and makes 20 quality starts he is a money whore.

But what if Pavano gets 40 million and makes a few terrible starts and doesn't deliver? Is he a money tease? :lol:

Ron
05-09-2007, 11:40 PM
I think Clemens is worse for baseball than Bonds.

kingfin66
05-10-2007, 01:04 AM
I think Clemens revels in his role as Hired Gun. How can anyone begrudge somebody who accepts a contract like this when it is offered?

Jeff Weaver: He has been horrible. The only "good" thing is that Seattle gave him only a one year deal. My guess is that once Seattle knows that Felix Hernandez is healthy, they send Mr. Weaver down the road.

Bubbles: OTM Al touched on the free agency issue. The reserve clause existed for many years and prevented players from becoming free agents until their team no longer wanted their services. You can bet that those players of yesteryear would have sold their services to the highest bidder had they been able to. They too would have the big discussion about which cap they would be wearing on their plaque.

philsfan07
05-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Sportsguy????? What kind of idot is that, animal vegatable or mineral? Me thinks this Sportsguy is just another in the line of modern day talking heads who is insanely jealous of athletes because he wasn't so good.

Name one HOFer that didn't try to bargain his talent for every dime he could get. Please. He made a request that teams were perfectly able to turn down. One team felt his request was worth it. End of story.

Cal Ripken Jr
Tony Gwynn
Kirby Puckett

I can go on..

philsfan07
05-10-2007, 08:00 AM
BTW, 'Sportsguy' writes for ESPN..

philsfan07
05-10-2007, 08:02 AM
So if Clemens gets $20 million and makes 20 quality starts he is a money whore.

But what if Pavano gets 40 million and makes a few terrible starts and doesn't deliver? Is he a money tease? :lol:

Pavano just stinks.. No more to that story..

You may have a point though - realtively speaking, when u think of the disastrous wastes of money Jared Wright and Pavano were for the Yankees, Clemens may be worth it even if he only wins 5 games.

OTM Al
05-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Each one extremely well compensated and king of his market. You are foolish if you think they didn't receive compensation, both monetary and psychological which outweighrd the offers they would have gotten elsewhere. Puckett's career also ended earlier than it should have so we don't know if he would have been lured away. I'm not saying guys won't stay with a team the whole time and may take less to stay there, but don't think there is one bit of altruism involved.

Cal Ripken Jr
Tony Gwynn
Kirby Puckett

I can go on..

And anyone that calls himself Sportsguy, even if he works for the Vatican itself, is an idiot.

philsfan07
05-10-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm not saying guys won't stay with a team the whole time and may take less to stay there, but don't think there is one bit of altruism involved.

Well you did make the challenge to 'name one HOFer that didn't try to drain every cent".. There are a LOT Of guys that stayed with a team for less money than they could have gotten on the open market. Are they saints for taking $8 million a year instead of $10? Of course not.. But it's foolish to say that never happens.

And it's a shame you think Sportsguy is an idiot, he's actually very entertaining and has quite a following. (I warn you he is a Red Sox fan, so you'll never learn to like him)