PDA

View Full Version : My DRF Letter to the Editor

highnote
05-06-2007, 10:56 AM
I was hoping my letter would appear on May 5, but Oaks day is OK, too.

DRF edited my editorial. They did a nice job. However, they left out my opinion that I thought the State of Connecticut is engaging in restraint of trade by allowing internet wagering into the state, but not allowing CT residents to bet over the internet with ADWs outside the state.

Headlines | Posted 5/4/2007, 6:43 pm

Letters to the Editor
By DRF READERS

Connecticut stance a double standard

The Connecticut attorney general's office has, on more than one occasion, decreed that it is illegal for advance-deposit wagering companies to take bets over the Internet from Connecticut residents. This past week, the attorney general's office put the New York Racing Association on notice that it would be breaking Connecticut law if it allowed Connecticut residents to bet with its account-wagering service (" 'Net delay for NYRA," May 4).

Never mind that this is an absurd law, given that the state has licensed Connecticut OTB to run a telephone wagering service. What makes this law more ridiculous is that Connecticut already in effect allows Internet wagering and seems not to know it.

An individual with Internet access can open an Internet telephone account with a service such as Net2Phone or Vonage. That account can be used to place a telephone call over the Internet to Connecticut OTB's automated telephone service. The user can speak with a human operator to place a bet, or can use the automated wagering service, wherein a computer keyboard can be used to punch bets at computerized voice prompts. The transactions are transmitted over the Internet.

By this method, it seems to me it is perfectly legal for Connecticut residents to bet on the Internet. It seems incongruent for the attorney general to say it is illegal for companies outside Connecticut to take wagers over the Internet from Connecticut residents and at the same time allow individuals inside and outside Connecticut to bet into Connecticut over the Internet.

John Swetye - Darien, Conn.

DJofSD
05-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Editiorial on 5/5/2007 from the LA Times:

latimes.com
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-ed-online5may05,0,789943.story?coll=la-opinion-leftrail
EDITORIAL
Gambling hypocrisy
A bill before the House would change the nation's policy on offshore betting and provide consumer protections.

Copyright 2007 Los Angeles Times

Premier Turf Club
05-06-2007, 08:36 PM
John:

At one point we considered getting licensed in CT when we were talking to a Native American group we considered as a partner. We ran into all the issues you talked about (not to mention the fact that phone betting in CT is legal so long as AUTOTOTE conducts it, trust me we researched the statute) and had to abandon the idea.

North Dakota is a terrific place to do business. We couldn't have expected any more support and cooperation from their racing commission and politicians.

Hammerhead
05-06-2007, 09:41 PM
I do not understand! What I do with my money after taxes is of no ones business then my own. Who can tell me? A crooked politicion who wants more? Our some self serving idiot who has no commen sense that they alone can save the world from it's supposidly corrupt ways. BS!!! :lol:

highnote
05-08-2007, 12:56 AM
I wrote my congressmen, senators and governor the same letter I wrote to the editor of DRF.

Most of them responded.

Below is Lieberman's response.

Maybe someone should clue him in that my letter had nothing to do with the anti-gambling provision of the Ports Act -- in fact, I never even mentioned it. My letter was about online gambling in Connecticut being blocked -- not about financial institutions stopping gambling related transactions.

Here is Lieberman's reply to my letter:

----------------------------------------
May 7, 2007

Dear Mr. Swetye:

Thank you for contacting me about the anti-gambling provision that was inserted into the Security and Accountability for Every Port Act (S. 4954). I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts with me and I am happy to respond.

As you may know, toward the end of conference negotiations over S. 4954, a group of lawmakers, with the support of Republican congressional leaders, inserted a provision that seeks to curb internet gambling. Specifically, the provision, which was written by Senator Jon Kyl (R-AZ), directs the Treasury Department and the Federal Reserve, within nine months of the bill's enactment, to issue regulations outlining procedures that financial institutions could use to identify and stop gambling-related transactions from being transmitted through their systems. Once the rules are promulgated, financial institutions would be barred from processing transactions for credit cards, checks, or other forms of payment from gamblers who are illegally betting online.

While I have usually supported legislation to limit internet gambling, I believe that it was inappropriate for congressional leaders to insert an anti-gambling provision into S. 4954. S. 4954 is an important piece of legislation that will provide needed resources toward securing our nation's ports. This is why I supported its passage when the Senate voted to send it to the President on September 30, 2006. However, I strongly believe legislation such as S. 4954, which is critical to our nation's homeland security, should not become a vehicle by which members of Congress seek to attach unrelated legislation; and I would have preferred that S. 4954 not have included the provision limiting online gambling.

To keep track of future legislation regarding internet gambling, you can go to the "Bill Tracking" service at <a href="http://lieberman.senate.gov/issues/resources">http://lieberman.senate.gov/issues/resources</a>.

My official Senate web site is designed to be an on-line office that provides access to constituent services, Connecticut-specific information, and an abundance of information about what I am working on in the Senate on behalf of Connecticut and the nation. I am also pleased to let you know that I have launched an email news update service through my web site. You can sign up for that service by visiting http://lieberman.senate.gov and clicking on the "Subscribe Email News Updates" button at the bottom of the home page. I hope these are informative and useful.

Thank you again for letting me know your views and concerns. Please contact me if you have any additional questions or comments about our work in Congress.

Sincerely,

Joseph I. Lieberman

UNITED STATES SENATOR

JIL:gjz