PDA

View Full Version : Nice ride, Calvin!

Tom
05-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Very nice finish....19th to going away.
Nice to see a guy win who really appreciates it.
Nice horse, too.

Hey Ralph....them out of the box settings seem to know what they are doing!:jump:

kev
05-05-2007, 06:30 PM
My money was with AGS, but my heart was with Mr.Borel. Great job.

banacek
05-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Wow, from 19th to 1st and almost never left the rail. What a nice ride!

GaryG
05-05-2007, 06:44 PM
What a great story, he is a true gentleman and no one deserved it more. Good day for the Jones boys too.

Bruddah
05-05-2007, 06:52 PM
I had the trifecta... To all three of those horses and their connections I wish the best for the future. Looks as if Street Sense has a good chanace for the Triple Crown. The Preakness being shorter and tighter turns could be the only race he is succeptible.

It was a great day for horse racing!

gIracing
05-05-2007, 07:20 PM
i'd say that if he gets the preakness, you can put the TC in a bag... the Belmont is probalby the best stuited for Street Sense, and no one is going to want to send their horses to the Belmont if he won the first two legs anyway

the_fat_man
05-05-2007, 07:30 PM
What that an incredible trip or what?

He passes 19 horses on the inside. What are the odds that NOT A SINGLE horse will be on the rail?

What a ride!!!!

Athletic horse with a heady jock that's willing to take a risk.

gIracing
05-05-2007, 07:33 PM

He passes 19 horses on the inside. What are the odds that NOT A SINGLE horse will be on the rail?

What a ride!!!!

that's why I didnt' lik him to win.. becuase the odds of having traffic were too much.

shoot, pletcher should have had two of his horses just "hey, i want you to shoot to the lead on the rail, and just die and block SS"...

the_fat_man
05-05-2007, 07:35 PM
that's why I didnt' lik him to win.. becuase the odds of having traffic were too much.

shoot, pletcher should have had two of his horses just "hey, i want you to shoot to the lead on the rail, and just die and block SS"...

I have to take a close look at the replay but really

what are the odds that this horse gets a clear, completely UNOBSTRUCTED run on the inside coming from 2nd last?

If he gets stopped once, he probably doesn't win.

Phenomenal turn of events.

JustRalph
05-05-2007, 07:44 PM
I heard Victor Espinoza say in an interview once,

"tired horses always move away from the rail on the turn"

I think he also said that the opposite was true on the turf courses. He said that on turf they are usually already trying to save ground and when they quit in the stretch they just hug the rail. I guess the 10f on dirt races like the Derby, would play to his theory. That or Calvin used his magic wand to move them over. :lol:

NYPlayer
05-05-2007, 07:55 PM

What a ride!!!!

Athletic horse with a heady jock that's willing to take a risk.

It looked to me like like Street Sense was politely needling his way through. Horses that are ready to run big tend not to have difficulty doing that. A ton of credit has to go to Calvin Borel. That's gotta be one of the all time great rides. Jerry Bailey look out!

But the lions share of kudos goes to Nafzger. Street was prepared brilliantly. So much for needing three preps, and the huge barrier - the Juvenile Jinx came crashing down. This is a magnificent day for racing, and we now have an incredibly interesting triple crown race. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

cnollfan
05-05-2007, 09:48 PM
He did go around Storm In May on the backstretch.

Another impressive ride from Calvin rail-wise was on Fiery Pursuit Friday. There were two front-runners in the race and his had the outside post, but he flew out of the gate and snatched the rail from Velazquez, then had just enough left to hang on.

gIracing
05-05-2007, 10:23 PM
going around a horse is not traffic, that's horse racing. Traffic is what Curlin was in going into the backstretch (not that it was an excuse)

if you told me all I had to do to get from last to first is PASS 1 horse in the strech.. in a 20 horse field?

timtam
05-05-2007, 10:55 PM
I heard an interview with Calvin and he said the rail opened because the horses were getting tired and moved off the rail. He said it matter of
factly like thats a common occurance. ???

boomman
05-05-2007, 11:08 PM
My heartfelt congratulations go out to the entire team of Street Sense, and I agree that it was a sensational ride by Calvin "Borail". He is truly a gentleman, and my hat also goes off to Larry Jones, who definitely had Hard Spun ready to run as well......:)

Boomer

JPinMaryland
05-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Another closer wins the derby, they've now captured almost half the races going back last 60. Amazing track for closers...I still dont know why people are down on closers for this race, this track is generous to closers..

Fantastic close by SS. Probably ran about 24.33 final quarter from eyeballing up the video, either way it should be considered one of the top ten great closes in derby history. NOt quite as fast as Ponder or Sec. but given the speed of the modern track it's impressive.

You know I thought Zanjero would be hugging the rail, where was he? I didnt even see at any point.

It seems to me, that SS move was very similar to Sweet Northern Saints last year. Of course he faded real quick and lots of people were quick to blame Kent D. I think it was the horse. Ss makes same move today and he's just obviously a better horse to it works great. Look at the move again, tell me it isnt the same thing as SNS..

Did Hard Spun clip heels w/ SS in deep stretch? SUre looked like it on the side view but the ovehead didnt see anything like it. Really looked like it.

Great HUnter made some sort of bold move going wide on the turn. Didnt see what happened, did he just hang?

The pace never really seemed very hot, and when they got 3/4 in 1:11 it seemed this race was tailor made for front runners. I think Fatman had the right instincts on the pace. They got the mile in 1:37 and I thought Hard Spun was home free. Really Hard Spun could not have asked for a better set up, if he can finish in 25 flat he probably wins or loses by a nose

PaceAdvantage
05-05-2007, 11:24 PM
Yeah, it looks like Hard Spun might have clipped a little bit (if that is even possible).....he didn't miss a beat though....

Pace Cap'n
05-06-2007, 12:20 AM
I heard an interview with Calvin and he said the rail opened because the horses were getting tired and moved off the rail. He said it matter of
factly like thats a common occurance. ???

In another thread, someone commented that Victor Espinoza, in an interview, stated that "tired horses will move away from the rail on the turn".

Makes sense, as it would take more effort to "lean" into the turn than to just drift on around.

boomman
05-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Yeah, it looks like Hard Spun might have clipped a little bit (if that is even possible).....he didn't miss a beat though....

Mike: When I first saw Hard Spun bobble in the stretch, I too thought he had clipped heels. But the overhead clearly showed that he didn't. I'm wondering: did he just take a bit of a bad step there? Certainly could have been caused by fatigue, as he ran his eyeballs out!

Boomer

JPinMaryland
05-06-2007, 09:42 AM
maybe a bad step, but on the side view it looked like their legs were entangled. or maybe he caught his own hoof?

The way the head bobbed seemed to say he clipped something.

depalma13
05-06-2007, 10:37 AM
I just watched the race in slow mo, and Hard Spun clipped heals with Street Sense when he came over just past the eighth pole. Borel than looks back to make sure Hard Spun stayed up.

headhawg
05-06-2007, 10:48 AM
I haven't seen the replay, but live it sure looked like Borel cut off Hard Spun a bit and they clipped. So my question is (while we're heaping praise on Borel), why did he insist on going back to the rail after he passed HS? Seemed like a ridiculous move to me.

JustRalph
05-06-2007, 01:31 PM
from the overhead I saw, it looked like they weren't even close. I thought for sure they clipped in the original view, but the overhead looks like SSense was well clear of him.

JPinMaryland
05-06-2007, 02:01 PM
I think he comes back to the rail out of strategy, he doesnt want another one coming through on the rail-if they can go around So be it. Or maybe the rail is just the better path to be. There are a number of derbies where you see that sort of thing. Sec. is hugging the rail after coming a little wide on the turn. Dust Commander, too. Monarchos I think comes back to the rail, a number of others come to mind. Maybe near the rail is a way to keep them running straight?

They never call that as a foul, so I guess it's acceptable.

GaryG
05-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Interesting to how HS runs in the Preakness coming off a balls to the wall effort like that.

chickenhead
05-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Interesting to how HS runs in the Preakness coming off a balls to the wall effort like that.

that cowboys got a monster on his hands.

GaryG
05-06-2007, 06:47 PM
that cowboys got a monster on his hands.That's a great story, the Jones Boys from the Pea Patch (that's local slang for Ellis Park). Between that and Calvin I was very happy about the outcome. Some hard working solid horsemen that finally got a break.

JPinMaryland
05-08-2007, 02:41 AM
Okay the answer to the mystery is....

He didnt clip and it looks that way because that is how Hard Spun runs! :eek:

I know it's strange but guy on the other board says that HS has an odd way of running every fourth or fifth stride his head dips way down. Sure enough I fired up the video and you can see it on the back side. Right after they go past the half mile pole, the announcer is calling out "Sedgefield 2nd, Teuf. in 3rd" and you will then see HS's head bob way down, almost to his knees.

Unreal. As pointed out by the Fatman, this horse has a real awkward way of running, switch leads, head bob, etc.

Still not sure I want to bet against him, though. Fractions say otherwise.

JustRalph
05-08-2007, 04:04 AM
Okay the answer to the mystery is....

He didnt clip and it looks that way because that is how Hard Spun runs! :eek:

I know it's strange but guy on the other board says that HS has an odd way of running every fourth or fifth stride his head dips way down. Sure enough I fired up the video and you can see it on the back side. Right after they go past the half mile pole, the announcer is calling out "Sedgefield 2nd, Teuf. in 3rd" and you will then see HS's head bob way down, almost to his knees.

Unreal. As pointed out by the Fatman, this horse has a real awkward way of running, switch leads, head bob, etc.

Still not sure I want to bet against him, though. Fractions say otherwise.

Wow! Nice job of picking up on that. I reviewed the tape and that is really weird. It is like he reaches down for a big breath or something. Very interesting "tick" and you are right. That is exactly what it looks like he is doing shortly after SSense passes him. He does it a couple of times in a row on the back stretch right before the far turn. thanks for the info.

JPinMaryland
05-08-2007, 11:24 AM
RIght he does it twice in a row at that pt. in the backstretch, it's positively unreal. He might have done it another once or twice on the backstretch but the buildings got in the way and Im thinking "did my eyes blink or did his head go down again?" Too lazy to rewind the tape.

Fatman had picked up on his funny stride some time before, I wonder if the two are related?

I wonder why Bailey etc. did not saying anything about it, but because those guys are there all week watching the horses they get to know their movements and think nothing of it. But to someone who hasnt seen him much, it's bizarro.

Another guy on the DT site noted that the chart is all wrong for Liquidity who the chart has going six wide when really he is one of the horses that is coming off the rail for Borel. Someone must have spent a lot of time rewinding the video. :ThmbUp: Probably there are more mistakes in the chart not the first time for that.