PDA

View Full Version : Oaks and Derby Charts

the_fat_man
05-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Here's the FatChart of the dominating performance by Rags to Riches in the Oaks. Three other game fillies actually gain with Rags the 4th quarter (of course, it was also the slowest quarter). ANd then she just blows them away.

the_fat_man
05-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Here's the Derby Chart. Good luck with this. (I've expanded it about as much as possible horizontally.)

Robert Fischer
05-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Great stuff.

Nice to see the whole picture. I am a visual learner and these are excellent.

the_fat_man
05-06-2007, 03:08 PM
If you look at the Derby closely, you might just get a different perspective as to who actually ran well. It's a bit counterintuitive.

There's an 'obvious' betback in the Oaks charts.

Kelso
05-06-2007, 04:44 PM
If you look at the Derby closely, you might just get a different perspective as to who actually ran well.

Fatman,
Your chart suggests to me that Imawildandcrazyguy, Tiago and, to a lesser extent, Circular Quay might have beat Curlin if it weren't for traffic between the mile and the stretch.

All four closely tracked Street Sense's positional improvement until the mile.

Then all four backed up, but Crazy/Tiago/Quay much more so than Curlin.

Crazy/Tiago then resumed significantly improving their positions, and Quay gained a little, while Curlin and 15 other horses continued losing ground.

Very interesting way to portray a race. Thank you.

chickenhead
05-06-2007, 04:48 PM
sedgefield actually ran a fairly decent race going by the fatchart.

bobphilo
05-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Fatman,
Your chart suggests to me that Imawildandcrazyguy, Tiago and, to a lesser extent, Circular Quay might have beat Curlin if it weren't for traffic between the mile and the stretch.

All four closely tracked Street Sense's positional improvement until the mile.

Then all four backed up, but Crazy/Tiago/Quay much more so than Curlin.

Crazy/Tiago then resumed significantly improving their positions, and Quay gained a little, while Curlin and 15 other horses continued losing ground.

Very interesting way to portray a race. Thank you.

Fatman, great chart.

Kelso,
Interestingly I get a different impression of Curlins performance from the chart. A number of horses made significant gains along with Stree Sense to the mile mark and then lost ground by the stretch call. All of them continued to lose ground to the finish, except Curlin who closed as quickly as SS through the final split, suggesting that his ground loss to the stretch call was due to trouble and not fatigue, which was more likely effecting the others. In viewing the replay I get the same impression of his trouble filled trip.
I'm not saying that Curlin would have beaten the top 2, but he was clearly the best of the rest and had the most troubled trip of all the top finishers.
Despite his so-called lack of "seasoning" he fought and steered his way through other horses like a seasoned pro.

Bob

bobphilo
05-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Fatman, great chart.

Kelso,
Interestingly I get a different impression of Curlins performance from the chart. A number of horses made significant gains along with Street Sense to the mile mark and then lost ground by the stretch call. All of them continued to lose ground to the finish, except Curlin who closed as quickly as SS through the final split, suggesting that his ground loss to the stretch call was due to trouble and not fatigue, which was more likely effecting the others. In viewing the replay I get the same impression of his trouble filled trip.
I'm not saying that Curlin would have beaten the top 2, but he was clearly the best of the rest and had the most troubled trip of all the top finishers.
Despite his so-called lack of "seasoning" he fought and steered his way through other horses like a seasoned pro.

Bob

My error Kelso. It appears that Crazy, Tiago and Quay did regain ground in the last split. However they had been futher back than Curlin earlier and had more energy left to finished well. Curlin only lost about a quarter length to Street Sense and passed several horses, so he also reversed his ground/position lost pattern.
On viewing the replay. Curlin had most of his trouble on the turn, in addition to what may have happened before the stretch call, and would have run better with a less troubled trip. He had to check behind a wall of horses and then had to go wide around them.

Bob