PDA

View Full Version : Time synch of PC clock

DJofSD
05-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Over the years, I've learned to synch of my PC's clock with the US governments atomic clock. I used to use a freeware application back in the days of DOS. It would dial the NBS/NIST. It even kept a nice log of the corrections.

With the newer flavor of Windows, I had been using the built in facility. I assumed it was working and never suspected it would be off. But this morning while checking the wrist watch and cell phone against the goverments web site, I noticed the PC was actually off more than the cell and watch. Even after I clicked on the update button. It did not seem to synch up at all, consistently lagging "real" time by more than 30 seconds.

Any one else notice that the MicroSoft update clock function does not seem to work as expected?

gillenr
05-05-2007, 03:40 PM
A couple weeks ago I saw mine was off & the update said "last update failed". Forced an update & OK. Still ok now.

BillW
05-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Any one else notice that the MicroSoft update clock function does not seem to work as expected?

I find it safer to assume that MS doesn't work, that way it works as expected. :lol:

Mine is right on but I constantly boot my laptop into Linux that runs NTP. I guess Windows has the (good?) sense not to fool with the clock.

robert99
05-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Windows time correction seems hit and miss. Possibly depends at what stage the computer connect to the internet. I use Tardis 2000 freeware to correct to atomic clock.

dutchboy
05-06-2007, 11:41 AM
It may be the "motherboard battery" failing. If you type the term motherboard memory in your search engine you should find a technical explanation.

Hammerhead
05-06-2007, 10:54 PM
At my age I prefer Time slows way down. And normally means nothing
Hell I don"t own a watch or a dam alarm clock :lol:

Greyfox
05-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Hell I don"t own a watch or a dam alarm clock :lol:
It's time you did.:lol:
I'd fix my computer but I don't have the time.:lol: