PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Barry Burkan, Norris Strauss and Mike Warren?

trying2win
11-30-2002, 05:21 AM
I personally have read some of Barry Burkan's handicapping methods and articles and thought most of them were very good. Haven't heard about him for awhile. Does anybody know if he's still selling handicapping materials on the market?

As for the other two names in the subject title, i.e. Norris Strauss and Mike Warren, I can remember many years ago when these two system sellers did not get many flattering reviews at times for their published works. I'll bet you some of the old-timers viewing this post here, will remember old N.S. and M.W. Did PRN ever give N.S. and M.W. systems any high ratings?

Did that last question bring forth a big laugh from anyone?

Tom
11-30-2002, 10:58 AM
I got a mailing from MW within the the last few months.
When I saw who it was, my first thought was , "Parole?"
<G>

so.cal.fan
11-30-2002, 02:08 PM
Mike Warren is one of the biggest frauds/crooks in the game.
Anything any of you get from him, belongs in the TRASH, trust me, it is not even worth reading for a laugh.
Never heard of the other two.

takeout
11-30-2002, 02:16 PM
Didn't I read somewhere that he started the Psychic Network? If so, what a labor saver that would be. He could use the psychics for his touting business.

I've never ordered anything from him but got his ads in the mail for years and years. No law against trolling for suckers, I guess. What a country! :D

Figman
11-30-2002, 08:27 PM
Here is one for all to ponder. Mike Warren is not his real name....it's Michael Lasky and the Baltimore area resident is a convicted criminal that makes him ineligible to be licensed in New York among a few other states but not Kentucky or his home state of Maryland. In 1998, Mike Lasky (Warren) had a pretty good three year old with trainer Tom Amoss and the horse won a few stakes. The horse's name was HOT WELLS and the horse could not compete in the Belmont Stakes after running in the Preakness because Mike Lasky (Warren's) criminal record that precluded his licensure in NY.

JimG
11-30-2002, 10:03 PM
Thinking back over the last few years....all unsolicited mail I have received regarding horse racing has gone in the trash...and I have not regretted it.

Jim

trying2win
11-30-2002, 11:41 PM
So. Cal. Fan.:

Barry Burkan had a couple of methods out on the market for thoroughbred racing, in the past . One was entitled POWER/PACE and the other one was CLAIMING MAGIC.

PRN, might have done a review of POWER/PACE many years ago, but I don't no what rating they gave the method. Then again, after reading some of the cynical things written about PRN over the last few years, can horse players have faith in their reviews and ratings?

In the TOP 52 system review book, Claiming Magic had a overall negative ROI on win bets, that was less than the straight bet takeout on California races. So, that small negative ROI doesn't appear too bad at first glance. Maybe a little tweaking on some of the rules of selection and/or use of minimum odds for making a bet, could perhaps get Claiming Magic into positive ROI territory.

If I remember correctly, Claiming Magic was also reviewed in the Systems and Methods Index by SPORT STAT. Don't know what kind of ROI that Claiming Magic got in their tests though.

Barry Burkan used to have a New Jersey address. Then later on he had a New York address. I even remember talking to Barry Burkan on the phone many years ago.. Sounded like a very personable sort of fellow. I did notice he had an accent. My guess it was either a "NEW JOISEE" or a "NEW YAWK" accent.