PDA

View Full Version : Beyer--Help for my home state!

cj
11-28-2002, 10:09 AM
Beyer-Washington Post 11/28 (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A48161-2002Nov27.html)

Finally, some help for my home state. It will be interesting to see how this helps racing in the Free State, and also how it affects CharlesTown and Delaware Park.

CJ

trying2win
11-29-2002, 01:34 AM
Interesting article, C.J. It's amazing how the addition of slot machines have become so pervasive at racetracks all across Canada and the U.S. Are racetracks that don't have slots, in the the minority these days?

Slot machines are a fixed percentage game, where the house has an edge on every bet. It's a losing game in the long run. I don't even know what the house edge is on any bet at the slots. It really doesn't matter to me, since I don't play the slots.

Betting the horse races, thoroughbred and harness is enough action. At least betting the horse races is a game of skill and luck, where a skillful player has a reasonable chance for a long term profit. Of course, racetrackers are also contributing to purses for horsemen through the track take on their bets.

On another note, I was just reading an article awhile ago, where a cynical financial writer stated that "Lotteries are just a tax on the naive". I think He might have a point there. I think this financial writer was referring to the big lotteries, where your chances of winning the top prize is something like 14 million to 1, or somewhere in that neighborhood.

I rarely play lotteries either. Once in awhile I'll buy one of those cash lottery tickets for local charities, where they have a multitude of cash prizes from $200 to $100,000 and you have a fair chance of winning something.

takeout
11-29-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
Finally, some help for my home state. It will be interesting to see how this helps racing in the Free State, and also how it affects CharlesTown and Delaware Park.
CJ
I don't know what will help the state more, getting slots or phasing out the De Francises. I haven't made a bet over there in ten years and it looks like I've got another four or five to go.

Terms of their "sweetheart" deal are in the several paragraphs at the end of the article at:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/horseracing/bal-sp.magna28nov28,0,4971812.story?coll=bal%2Dsports% 2Dhorse

hurrikane
11-29-2002, 08:19 PM
Phasing out the De Fracises will be big plus in my opinion. Ever since the old man passed it on the son has done nothing but bleed the tracks. Good by!

As for slot...unfortuntly they need them. If it wasn't for the Preakness the racing would have been gone a long time ago.