PDA

View Full Version : Update on BrisBet\TAB

wolsons
05-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Dear Customer,

We are pleased to announce that BrisBET can accept phone wagers for Arlington, Calder and Hollywood in all states AmericaTAB allows with the following exceptions:

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maryland

Massachusetts

North Dakota

Ohio

Oregon

Virginia

Washington

Wyoming

Dave Schwartz
05-03-2007, 08:34 AM
What is THIS about?

How is it that a state has a restiction against a particular track?

andicap
05-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Maybe some kind of restrictions on telephone wagers???

Premier Turf Club
05-03-2007, 11:24 AM
What is THIS about?

Dave, there are a lot of contracts with such restrictions. We can't take Mass residents on Suffolk Downs, we don't take New York residents on New York tracks, etc.

Sometimes it's the state that prescribes it, other times the track, but the restrictions are built into the simulcast agreement.

There are also states where we can take phone wagers, but not internet (Connecticut for example).

Ian

BillW
05-03-2007, 11:32 AM
I've got a great idea for a website. A wager translation/routing site. Anyone can sign up and get an account. The function of the site would be to translate and route wagers in a proper manner. Place a bet from Ct. and the site would route the bet to an ADW that legally takes wagers from Ct and even does a text-to-speech conversion and dials it in. Place a bet from Rhode Island, no problem - wager gets routed to an RI acceptable ADW. Damn I'd get rich. :lol:

linrom1
05-03-2007, 11:58 AM
I've got a great idea for a website. A wager translation/routing site. Anyone can sign up and get an account. The function of the site would be to translate and route wagers in a proper manner. Place a bet from Ct. and the site would route the bet to an ADW that legally takes wagers from Ct and even does a text-to-speech conversion and dials it in. Place a bet from Rhode Island, no problem - wager gets routed to an RI acceptable ADW. Damn I'd get rich. :lol:

As long as you don't have to route P-4s and P-6s until after at least one leg to the tote, you will be a rich man. ;)

Red Knave
05-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Damn I'd get rich. I thought you were already rich! ;)

BillW
05-03-2007, 02:50 PM
I thought you were already rich! ;)

Naw, that's my brother, I'm Bill :(

skate
05-03-2007, 02:59 PM
might still be the case.

you could set up call forwarding, to , say NV. this would bypass their state law.

point given
05-03-2007, 03:18 PM

i think colleges now do such a thing for thier courses which are videoconferenced. It depends on where the student has residency. You can have students in various states in a class ,and then the tuition $ goes to the students state and / or county.
Your idea is what would be a centralized system. All of the duplication of costs would be eliminated by having one site. Let the racing orgs figure out how to divide the money, but have a system that is user friendly to the customer. As long as betting is allowed over phone and internet in a state, that state would be a member of the consortium. Wagers would be allowed to any customer resident in those states . States would therefore obtain all the $$ due them by their state residents, but the states would not have to put into place their own system, as is done now, saving each state alot of money. It would be very difficult to do, but , it is doable. Then again, this IS horse racing.

highnote
05-03-2007, 09:56 PM
I can't understand how BRISBET can still take wagers over the internet from Connecticut residents. Why hasn't the Attorney General's Office of Connecticut threatened to sue BRISBET? They threatened to sue NYRA.

PaceAdvantage
05-04-2007, 03:36 AM
If that's true, then it probably has to do with something along the lines of "a powerful friend of a powerful friend of a powerful friend" wanting to pound NYRA into the dirt a little more than it already is....

ranchwest
05-04-2007, 08:38 AM
What is THIS about?

Obviously there's not many legislators who play the ponies.

alydar
05-04-2007, 09:06 AM
What is THIS about?

If you look at the new Twin Spires ADW site these states are the ones that they will take internet wagering from.

Apparently they are allowing betting on states that they are not willing to do buisness with themselves at their new site.

sevenall
05-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Oregon is pretty much able to bet through any ADW site that exists (since most of the hubs are in Oregon)...so I'm surprised to see us excluded from the phone wagers....

trigger
05-04-2007, 01:46 PM
i think colleges now do such a thing for thier courses which are videoconferenced. It depends on where the student has residency. You can have students in various states in a class ,and then the tuition $ goes to the students state and / or county.
Your idea is what would be a centralized system. All of the duplication of costs would be eliminated by having one site. Let the racing orgs figure out how to divide the money, but have a system that is user friendly to the customer. As long as betting is allowed over phone and internet in a state, that state would be a member of the consortium. Wagers would be allowed to any customer resident in those states . States would therefore obtain all the $$ due them by their state residents, but the states would not have to put into place their own system, as is done now, saving each state alot of money. It would be very difficult to do, but , it is doable. Then again, this IS horse racing.

Seems to me what you describe is essentially similar to what TrackNet is trying to accomplish...a centralized system for content that is available to each ADW and each ADW competes on its merits not on its exclusive contracts. Competition = user friendly.

trigger
05-04-2007, 02:15 PM
I can't understand how BRISBET can still take wagers over the internet from Connecticut residents. Why hasn't the Attorney General's Office of Connecticut threatened to sue BRISBET? They threatened to sue NYRA.

It appears Youbet takes wagers from residents of Connecticut and NY (except for NY harness and FL) also????

-----Restricted States :
Residents of Alaska, Georgia, Hawaii, Missouri, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Utah may sign up for the service and access all product features, except wagering.

Additionally, the following states do not allow state residents to wager on state tracks: Arizona, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, and West Virginia. For a complete listing, please refer to the table below. TRACK </FONT></B> STATE </B> WAGERING RESTRICTIONS</FONT></B> AlbuquerqueNM NM Residents Canterbury ParkMN MN Residents Charles TownWV WV Residents Emerald DownsWA CA Residents Finger LakesNY NY Residents Great Lakes DownsMI MI Residents Hazel ParkMI MI Residents Lone Star ParkTX TX Residents MonticelloNY NY Residents Mountaineer ParkWV WV Residents Nad Al Sheba (Dubai)MI CA Residents NorthvilleMI MI Residents Penn NationalPA PA Residents Pocono DownsPA PA Residents Prairie Meadows IA IA Residents Retama ParkTX TX Residents Ruidoso DownsNM NM Residents Sam HoustonTX TX Residents Saratoga HarnessNY NY Residents Turf ParadiseAZ AZ Residents Vernon DownsNY NY Residents YonkersNY NY ResidentsGo Back (javascript:history.back())

http://www.youbet.com/images/copyright2002-7.gif (http://www.youbet.com/termsconditions/)

alydar
05-04-2007, 03:06 PM
To say that ADW legal restrictions are confusing would be an undestatement. TVG and now Twin Sprires have taken the most conservative approach to allowing bettors from each state in.

Americatab, and others are more liberal. If you look at the betting restrictions by state, I think that you will find that each ADW provider has taken their own approach on this issue.

Heck, The Justice Department is still contending that interstate wagering on horses over phones is not legal, depsite the Interstate Horse Wagering Act.

The whole thing is up in the air and subject to interpretation.

highnote
05-04-2007, 05:04 PM
It appears Youbet takes wagers from residents of Connecticut and NY (except for NY harness and FL) also????

Yeah. Go figure.

westny
05-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Seems to me what you describe is essentially similar to what TrackNet is trying to accomplish...a centralized system for content that is available to each ADW and each ADW competes on its merits not on its exclusive contracts. Competition = user friendly.

I don't think so...TRACKNET demands that ADW's take content ONLY from the tracks they control...Magna and CD's owned tracks...THAT is not what YOU are espousing..TRACKNET is trying to strangle competition NOT "compete on merit"

trigger
05-04-2007, 08:51 PM
I don't think so...TRACKNET demands that ADW's take content ONLY from the tracks they control...Magna and CD's owned tracks...THAT is not what YOU are espousing..TRACKNET is trying to strangle competition NOT "compete on merit"

Read their press releases, TrackNet wants to, in effect, broker other tracks' signal along with their own to all ADWs, OTBs, etc. while taking a very,very small commission. Their aim is bring all tracks together in order to better bargain as a group for a far better and fairer slice of the takeout than now exists and make signals available to all at fair prices.
The current take out splits favor the middlemen way to much.
For instance, NYOTB was giving Gulfstream 2.55% (out of a 20% takeout) last year; Youbet still manages a gross margin of 4 to 5 % on TVG exclusive tracks even after paying a usurious TVG license fee. (imagine how much TVG is making via its exclusives and Youbet is making on non TVG tracks...also check out what Champion and his numerous executive cronies make at Youbet (its outrageous compared to racing industry standards). Most of the money being paid to these middlemen should be going to the tracks and horsemen and possibly to lower take out)
Also, exclusivity was not going to go away....TVG is signing up new tracks all the time (Monmouth, Meadowlands, Evangeline) and Youbet is signing up with TVG on the new exclusive tracks especially since they figured out that TrackNet is going to try to make content universal (something Youbet wants to keep for itself).

westny
05-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Read their press releases, TrackNet wants to, in effect, broker other tracks' signal along with their own to all ADWs, OTBs, etc. while taking a very,very small commission. Their aim is bring all tracks together in order to better bargain as a group for a far better and fairer slice of the takeout than now exists and make signals available to all at fair prices.
The current take out splits favor the middlemen way to much.
For instance, NYOTB was giving Gulfstream 2.55% (out of a 20% takeout) last year; Youbet still manages a gross margin of 4 to 5 % on TVG exclusive tracks even after paying a usurious TVG license fee. (imagine how much TVG is making via its exclusives and Youbet is making on non TVG tracks...also check out what Champion and his numerous executive cronies make at Youbet (its outrageous compared to racing industry standards). Most of the money being paid to these middlemen should be going to the tracks and horsemen and possibly to lower take out)
Also, exclusivity was not going to go away....TVG is signing up new tracks all the time (Monmouth, Meadowlands, Evangeline) and Youbet is signing up with TVG on the new exclusive tracks especially since they figured out that TrackNet is going to try to make content universal (something Youbet wants to keep for itself).

Whatever you read re TrackNet is the usual corporate-speak bs. TrackNet is trying to change history with THAT drivel.

In 2005, Magna under ExpressBet froze wagering on all Magna-owned tracks by ALL AWD's except ExpressBet(Magna) If you wanted to wager on SA or GLF, you had to use ExpresBet. As a defensive move against the Magna/ExpressBet strangulation manuever, TVG signed up several tracks under "exclusive" contracts in late 2005 or so...like NYRA.

Magna/Express Bet abandoned the ExpressBet monopoly play when the ploy didn't work at the end of 2005.
Now, Magna and CD are doing the same thing ...trying to strangle competition and "pretending" their intent is a univeral content.
Actions speak louder than words. TrackNet threw down the gauntlet and FROZE out all AWD's who didn't agree to sign exclusive contracts with THEM.

YOU are probably the only person who believes that TrackNet bs.

highnote
05-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Read their press releases.

I would want to read many more independent opinions before I take TrackNet's press releases at face value.

I think we've entered the spin zone.

trigger
05-07-2007, 02:13 AM
TrackNet is trying to change history with THAT drivel.

In 2005, Magna under ExpressBet froze wagering on all Magna-owned tracks by ALL AWD's except ExpressBet(Magna) If you wanted to wager on SA or GLF, you had to use ExpresBet. As a defensive move against the Magna/ExpressBet strangulation manuever, TVG signed up several tracks under "exclusive" contracts in late 2005 or so...like NYRA.

Westny, Talk about rewriting history!! TVG signed up the NYRA and other tracks as early as 1999.

http://broadcastengineering.com/newsrooms/news-sports-bytes-20040910/
TVG, New York Racing Association reach agreement
TVG Network and The New York Racing Association have entered into a multi-year exclusive license agreement for the television and account wagering rights for races conducted at Aqueduct, Belmont Park and Saratoga Racecourses.
The New York OTB will continue to receive all NYRA signals as they have in the past.
TVG and NYRA originally entered into an exclusive relationship in 1999, just prior to the launch of TVG television programming. Under the new agreement, racing from the three NYRA tracks will continue to be a year-round anchor of TVG's programming, which currently reaches about 12.7 million households nationwide.

garyoz
05-07-2007, 10:30 AM
TVG has never told ADW's that if they took non-TVG tracks (e.g., Magna) that they wouldn't get the TVG tracks. TrackNet has taken things to a new low. Similar to Magna's attempt to force everyone to use Xpressbet in 2004. As posted and written about in the Press, speculation is that Tracknet wants to buy AmericaTab, which is why they caved into the demand for exclusivity. TrackNet has moved things to a new low from a player's perspective. Not a surprise given Magna's involvement.

point given
05-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Whatever you read re TrackNet is the usual corporate-speak bs. TrackNet is trying to change history with THAT drivel.

Magna/Express Bet abandoned the ExpressBet monopoly play when the ploy didn't work at the end of 2005.
Now, Magna and CD are doing the same thing ...trying to strangle competition and "pretending" their intent is a univeral content.
Actions speak louder than words. TrackNet threw down the gauntlet and FROZE out all AWD's who didn't agree to sign exclusive contracts with THEM.

YOU are probably the only person who believes that TrackNet bs.

YES - Magna has a track record at Gulfstream that belies all its former PR releases. Everything was hidden, then just like a jack in the box they popped up and instead of building a separate slots building,they took over 1/2 the simo space and only have 900 total seats for racing. That after their Expressbet thing and also dropping NY betting , as was posted. The proof is in the pudding, not in the press releases. We have tasted their pudding and it is rancid ! Fool me once ... in action. Lets just hope that Magna is forced to sell everything since they only lost $400 mil last year and their slots at Gulfstream are doing rather poorly. If and when Dade county in FL gets slots, it will only get worse for them and this is why they are playing hardball now. Just about all their plans have been ill conceived and managed and this is a last desparate grab.