PDA

View Full Version : Racing Downhill?

BigJake
05-02-2007, 11:22 PM
My little brother was asking me about a Derby prep where the front strech was sloped downhill. I told him I have never heard of that. Does anyone know what he is talking about.

Big Jake

boomman
05-02-2007, 11:27 PM
My little brother was asking me about a Derby prep where the front strech was sloped downhill. I told him I have never heard of that. Does anyone know what he is talking about.

Big Jake

Jake: I've been in the game a long time and the only downhill course that I'm familiar with in North America is the hillside turf course at Santa Anita. It also contains the only half right turn in North America racing as well.....

Boomer

Greyfox
05-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Right. The only downhill course is the turf 6.5 f at Santa Anita.
Otherwise, "downhill track" is a slang term for an oval that is favoring early speed.
"Uphill" the early speed dies and chasers pass them. Otherwise, I haven't got a clue of what your brother was talking about.

cnollfan
05-02-2007, 11:55 PM
Some handicappers believe that Oaklawn's stretch is slightly downhill.

highnote
05-03-2007, 01:42 PM
I think it is Oaklawn, too. I seem to recall something about the final fractions there.

robert99
05-03-2007, 03:19 PM
If it was the original Derby at Epsom, UK it would make sense.
It is 12f going uphill, downhill bend to straight, flat then uphill with an adverse camber.

Pace Cap'n
05-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Having spent quite a number of hours at the rail at Oaklawn, I can state the only elevation variance between the turn and the finish line would be measured in millimeters.

The story arose a few years ago when one of the local racing writers noticed water on the track during a rainstorm, and supposedly it was flowing toward the finish line.

To my knowledge, this illusory slope has not been verified.

rastajenk
05-04-2007, 12:21 AM
To my knowledge, this illusory slope has not been verified.
I've heard mention of it several times (really, about once a year at Arkie Derby time), but what I've never heard is where on the oval the track goes uphill. ;)