PDA

View Full Version : Ref Bias in NBA??

philsfan07
05-02-2007, 01:05 PM
I don't really get this.. White refs calling more fouls on black players in the NBA??

Is this the equivalent of saying NASCAR officials fine more white guys?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/nba/05/02/bc.bkn.refereebias.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

GameTheory
05-02-2007, 01:18 PM
The study says that black officials also call more fouls on white players (although the bias is less pronounced). "More" meaning relatively more, not in absolute numbers.

I haven't seen the study, but the reporting makes it sound very suspect. The first question that needs to be asked, of course, is "What if the black players are actually committing more fouls?" Then that isn't bias. (Just like making the argument that since a greater percentage of black people go to jail means the judicial system is biased. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but you can't tell unless you can estimate the relative levels of actual crime among racial groups.) I didn't see any mention of that idea at all.

The NBA of course has countered with its own study saying there is no bias. The NBA's data takes into account actual individual refs -- this other study only had access to who the 3-man ref team was, not who was actually calling fouls on who.

chickenhead
05-02-2007, 01:50 PM
any study involving white NBA players is suspect on sample size alone.

philsfan07
05-02-2007, 02:19 PM

No kidding.. Beyong Nash and Nowitzki, are there any other white players?

Greyfox
05-02-2007, 02:26 PM
:lol: Luv the post chickenhead.

The saying is : "White men can't jump."
The study says "White men can't ump.":lol:

GaryG
05-02-2007, 02:34 PM
This notion certainly opens up a can of worms. After every disputed foul call someone will play the proverbial race card. I stopped following basketball a long time ago.

GameTheory
05-02-2007, 02:57 PM
There are actually quite a few white players now, both European and American. Not to mention South American (black & white), Chinese, etc...

Greyfox
05-02-2007, 03:08 PM
There are actually quite a few white players now, both European and American. Not to mention South American (black & white), Chinese, etc...

Yes. They need to have so many sweat suits to sit on the bench to start.:lol:

GameTheory
05-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Jason Kidd -- half-white, does that count?
Okur & AK -- two of the stars of their team
Nash, of course
Dirk -- MVP of the league

If you look at the top 100 players that play the most minutes, about 20 of them are non-black. So not the majority, by any means, but a significant percentage. You guys act like it's only 2% or something...

chickenhead
05-02-2007, 03:56 PM
I was basically just trying to be funny.

I don't have the numbers, but it seems like there are more and better European whites than American whites. Not sure why that is. Look at your list, all non Americans (except for J Kidd, who is mix and therefore in his own category)

skate
05-02-2007, 04:21 PM
:lol: Luv the post chickenhead.

The saying is : "White men can't jump."
The study says "White men can't ump.":lol:

oh, you are getten good, originality, mostly seen in tom.:D

ah, all three of ya!

skate
05-02-2007, 04:35 PM
i too stopped watching the game, do to the rulings

they seem to make them up and yet the rule book remains. walking, gees!

i did see, a shocker, a lane violation called on a foul shot.

but back to topic, i think it is a normal human being (inherent) habit that says "i will favor any call, the more it relates to me".

what makes things tough here is the fact that rules have been attached to a whim, not prerequisite.

melman
05-02-2007, 07:10 PM
I think the study is a total waste of time and effort. So much of foul calling in basketball depends on what STYLE of play a team is using. The team with a lot of good 3 points shooters and outside play will get LESS fouls called then a team with the style of forcing the ball inside and getting "points in the paint". The people doing that "study" must be non basketball fans who are in need of calling attention to themselves. What is next the white umpire calls more strikes on a black hitter?? Just another example of a U of Pennsylvania "let's call attention to ourselves" "study" based on at best questionable data.

Hosshead
05-04-2007, 08:43 AM
First it's the "hate crime".
Then it's the "hate foul" !
Now where's the reverend AL ?

Maybe I could put that into a song,.. in time for the NBA finals.
I wonder if Hank Jr. will sing it?
Hell no, we'll let the Iman do it!