PDA

View Full Version : Should Greyhound Racing Be Banned

billrock
05-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Some say the animals are mistreated, others say they were bred to run. Several months ago a bill was voted on in my state that would have banned greyhound racing in the state, and it was soundly defeated. I like to go to the dog track a couple of times a year, what is your opinion on the issue?

Overlay
05-02-2007, 08:08 PM
I look at it pretty much along the same lines as thoroughbreds. As you say, you're letting them do what they were born to do. Clean up any detected instances of abuse, but other than that, let 'em run.

philsfan07
05-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Some say the animals are mistreated, others say they were bred to run. Several months ago a bill was voted on in my state that would have banned greyhound racing in the state, and it was soundly defeated. I like to go to the dog track a couple of times a year, what is your opinion on the issue?

I don't think it should be banned, but just like t-breds, there needs to be more concern and planning for these animals after their careers are over.

The racing part of it is genuine, the part where they are of no use to owners is the shady part.

BIG RED
05-06-2007, 05:05 AM
Bill, I voted against it also. Mainly for one reason: give them an inch and they will take a foot.

A friend of mine had raced some greyhounds(Superior Kennels) and seen plenty of abuse. He got out because of it. Remember dogs are not that expensive, and some people just don't give a damn. Think how a $5,000 claimer and a $500,000 stake horse get treated differently. They do. But by banning them you also stop the industry, which is people. Stop the abuse, you bet, they have to get a lot stricter. The retirement program for greyhounds does a good job, and I do donate once a year to them. My neighbor is involved with it, and she tells me how wonderful the 'pups' are when they get them new homes.

Now, if they can only stop the bumping in the first turn ;)