PDA

View Full Version : Derby Coverage

bigmack
05-01-2007, 12:51 PM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/derbytv.jpg

So it's either a half hour hockey game or a split screen of both. I just hope Curlin doesn't get called for icing.

Ron
05-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Hockey game starts at 2.

Tom
05-01-2007, 03:04 PM
....ends at 6 :eek:

OTM Al
05-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Fortunately this is the one time a year more people watch a horse race than anything else.

point given
05-01-2007, 04:08 PM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/derbytv.jpg

So it's either a half hour hockey game or a split screen of both. I just hope Curlin doesn't get called for icing.

All you will see from 4:30-5pm is a Hollywood style red carpet thingy of glamoour pusses with their dresses and hats ! After 5 pm it will be a problem. Sorry hockey fans , but we must cut away for Kentucky Derby coverage . Yeah, right, what dream world am i living in !

beertapper
05-01-2007, 05:10 PM
i'd say the Derby will get far more viewership, esp after that Barbaro documentary aired on NBC.

plus hockey isin't really lighting up the viewership on NBC, OLN, etc.. like it is up north..

46zilzal
05-01-2007, 05:14 PM
I wish JUST ONCE, the television networks would talk to the fans and the film crew and present the damn race with some continuity.

Several years ago, on the network broadcast, I counted the numbers of perspective changes (close up on the leaders, front half of field, full view of field) and it changes over 35 times during the contest. ABC did it as well but far less often.

HOW in the world can anyone follow the action when the race is cut up like that? They don't do that in any other sport.

This is a race. In order to understand it, you have to see it ALL at once.

Thank goodness for the direct CD feed.

As far as the Stanley Cup: I was on coast to coast t.v. years ago opposite the same thing on CBC's The Fifth Estate. Hockey won out, but it would win out here against anything.

46zilzal
05-01-2007, 05:29 PM
I used to wear a shirt to the track on Derby day that has just this on the front: 25 1/5, 24, 23 4/5, 23 2/5 and 23.

Eveyone who knew racing smiled and nodded.

bigmack
05-01-2007, 06:56 PM
I used to wear a shirt to the track on Derby day that has just this on the front: 25 1/5, 24, 23 4/5, 23 2/5 and 23.
Good stuff Zilly. It might not make it to Target shelves but it's inventive.

toetoe
05-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Coverage of curlin' returns. :jump: :jump:

gIracing
05-01-2007, 08:32 PM
I could care less. I will be watching HRTV and switch over to NBC to watch the race (unless by the grace of god, hRTV shows it live, which I doubt)

ghostyapper
05-02-2007, 01:56 PM
I wish JUST ONCE, the television networks would talk to the fans and the film crew and present the damn race with some continuity.

Several years ago, on the network broadcast, I counted the numbers of perspective changes (close up on the leaders, front half of field, full view of field) and it changes over 35 times during the contest. ABC did it as well but far less often.

HOW in the world can anyone follow the action when the race is cut up like that? They don't do that in any other sport.

This is a race. In order to understand it, you have to see it ALL at once.

Thank goodness for the direct CD feed.

As far as the Stanley Cup: I was on coast to coast t.v. years ago opposite the same thing on CBC's The Fifth Estate. Hockey won out, but it would win out here against anything.

I agree with you but one shot they need to keep on the live feed is around the first turn when they cut to the twin spires and then the horses come flying around the turn. IMO thats the best image in sports and it needs to be shown live.