PDA

View Full Version : Yums to add 1 million

ghostyapper
05-01-2007, 12:18 PM
If a horse wins the race by more than barbaro did last year. I don't know about anyone else but I have a major problem with this, especially if it counts towards the horses career earnings. They are adding an element to a race that has not been used for 200 years.

crownx
05-01-2007, 03:46 PM
worst thing I have ever heard of in racing... Yum brands already looks bad..

BeatTheChalk
05-01-2007, 07:17 PM
If a horse wins the race by more than barbaro did last year. I don't know about anyone else but I have a major problem with this, especially if it counts towards the horses career earnings. They are adding an element to a race that has not been used for 200 years.

I would say boycott the hell out of all of the lovely fast food junksters...
in the Yum Stable. I am sure that the agency and the PR folks think that
they are just great.
I dont care about the earnings of the horse....The promo has no class
no feeling ..nothing.
Let Barbaro rest in peace.

Ron
05-01-2007, 07:41 PM
I would say boycott the hell out of all of the lovely fast food junksters...
in the Yum Stable. I am sure that the agency and the PR folks think that
they are just great.
I dont care about the earnings of the horse....The promo has no class
no feeling ..nothing.
Let Barbaro rest in peace.

If I remember correctly the Derby almost went off without a sponsor, was that just last year? That would have been tragic. Visa is out and now you want to chase away the one sponsor that is left.

DJofSD
05-01-2007, 07:56 PM
How about a sponser that would do something for the spectator and the punter?

Beating Barbaro's margin is a stupid promotion. Who's the real benefactor? I think it's Yum for all the addition exposure the name will get -- and they need it after all the bad press they've had. (I wonder how much the premium is on that insurance contract.)

Come up with a promotion to send text messages like Deal or No Deal then pick a lucky winner with the correct Derby Winner, put teasers in the commercials for Yum for some $10,000 instant winners. That'll get ratings and name recognition up.

racefinder2
05-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Derby winner by 6.5 or greater?
Deal....or no deal.......
It seems very tight this year...
NO DEAL.

Pace Cap'n
05-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Tough crowd.

racefinder2
05-01-2007, 09:53 PM
youre not kidding.....

I suspect the Yum promoters dont visit this board.
Although had Barbaro won the TC-would they do such a promotion? Im not as
cynical as some people here, I just notice that some promotions seem to fly and others dont make any sense. It seems interesting enough to me, and it certainly makes it more interesting for the owners and runners. Another cool million for a large margin of victory. Yet, as the Barbaro story has shown, this is a dangerous game. Does anyone believe this promotion creates extra risk for the participants? Or were you all just commenting on what looks like shameless piling on to the Barbaro legacy?

BeatTheChalk
05-01-2007, 10:20 PM
If I remember correctly the Derby almost went off without a sponsor, was that just last year? That would have been tragic. Visa is out and now you want to chase away the one sponsor that is left.

Do you really think that the good folks at yum ..care what I think or care
what anyone thinks ? Perhaps if the horse was still alive I wouldnt care
much about it. It just strikes me as a Classless act.

ghostyapper
05-02-2007, 11:28 AM
youre not kidding.....

I suspect the Yum promoters dont visit this board.
Although had Barbaro won the TC-would they do such a promotion? Im not as
cynical as some people here, I just notice that some promotions seem to fly and others dont make any sense. It seems interesting enough to me, and it certainly makes it more interesting for the owners and runners. Another cool million for a large margin of victory. Yet, as the Barbaro story has shown, this is a dangerous game. Does anyone believe this promotion creates extra risk for the participants? Or were you all just commenting on what looks like shameless piling on to the Barbaro legacy?

My is not concerning what it might do to the barbaro legacy. I don't think it affects it.

My problem is they are trying to make margin of victory matter in horse racing. So if a horse wins this race by more than 7, he will make more money on that alone than a horse that goes out and wins the jcgc. It just doesn't seem right. The object of the race is to try and win it, not try and embarrass the rest of the field. If a horse has a 5 length lead in the stretch the jockey will be pushing him hard instead of galloping him out like he should.