PDA

View Full Version : Will racing ever get modern technology?

cj
04-28-2007, 05:13 PM
I bet the 3 today in the 1st at EmD. He was 5 to 1 after the break, 3 to 1 leading into the stretch, and returned $7.80. Forget HDTV for now, can we just please get some real computing power on the odds board?

DJofSD
04-28-2007, 05:53 PM
cj, if you want to feel really badly about the state of affairs when it comes to wagering and computers, read this article. (http://businessinnovation.cmp.com/articles/res_strat_070430.jhtml) Now, what part of modern technology do the old farts that run all of the various interlocking businesses not understand?

Tom
04-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Just how long do they think that Tandy 1000 is going to last????:lol:

Serioulsy, this game is a joke - run by complete idiots.

Just wait - it won't be long before the slot palaces start dropping the tracks like the leeches they are. All tracks od for slots is suck off money.

Half the tracks in this country closing would be a good thing.

Fog8675309
04-28-2007, 07:52 PM
has anyone heard the rumor of hollywood park closing and los alamitos becoming a thoroughbred track?? Fog8675309 OUT

Kelso
04-28-2007, 09:26 PM
I bet the 3 today in the 1st at EmD. He was 5 to 1 after the break, 3 to 1 leading into the stretch, and returned $7.80. Forget HDTV for now, can we just please get some real computing power on the odds board?

For starters, I'd be happy being certain that it was simply obsolescence that causes odds to change at any point after the break. From what I've read here and elsewhere, the only thing of which I should be certain now is that big money is allowed into and out of some pools after some gates open.

IMO, all betting should be closed before the first horse loads for each race.

Overlay
04-28-2007, 10:04 PM

Even if it would close at that time, wouldn't the situation still be the same as it is now, as long as the odds changed at the last flash when no more betting was possible?

Overlay
04-28-2007, 10:21 PM
To clarify, I understand that your suggestion would negate the element of betting with knowledge of how the race starts, but there would still be the issue of late-money "whales" to be addressed.

Edward DeVere
04-28-2007, 10:33 PM
For starters, I'd be happy being certain that it was simply obsolescence that causes odds to change at any point after the break. From what I've read here and elsewhere, the only thing of which I should be certain now is that big money is allowed into and out of some pools after some gates open.

Agreed, 100%.

Zman179
04-28-2007, 10:37 PM
To clarify, I understand that your suggestion would negate the element of betting with knowledge of how the race starts, but there would still be the issue of late-money "whales" to be addressed.

Whale? I don't think the Emerald pools could carry a tuna.

Ron
04-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Just how long do they think that Tandy 1000 is going to last????:lol:

Serioulsy, this game is a joke - run by complete idiots.

Just wait - it won't be long before the slot palaces start dropping the tracks like the leeches they are. All tracks od for slots is suck off money.

Half the tracks in this country closing would be a good thing.

Seriously, have you ever posted anything positive. Why don't you move to another state and take up a different hobby? :lol:

Greyfox
04-28-2007, 11:09 PM
has anyone heard the rumor of hollywood park closing and los alamitos becoming a thoroughbred track?? Fog8675309 OUT

Yes. The idea has been incubating, but so far hasn't hatched an egg.
Bob Baffert's big pusher Mike Pegram has had this idea on the back burner for some time.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10370520/

Churchill Downs also has entertained ideas about selling Hollywood Park
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2005_July_6/ai_n14725352

The articles above are old. I heard the rumors two years ago.

Where there's smoke, there "might" be fire. But this chicken is taking some time to hatch. And so are you're questions.
But forgive my ignorance. You're Avotar call number looks more like
a.... and from what I've seen..... you joined 2 days ago....
So Fog8675309, where have you been posting from.:lol:
Good questions. But where are you? So far you've sent 22 (13.64 posts per day). I hope what you're doing is "time well spent."
Anywhere off "Fog City" maybe?

Pace Cap'n
04-28-2007, 11:19 PM
You're Avotar call number looks more like...

Jenny's.

Zman179
04-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Where there's smoke, there "might" be fire. But this chicken is taking some time to hatch. And so are you're questions.
But forgive my ignorance. You're Avotar call number looks more like
a.... and from what I've seen..... you joined 2 days ago....
So Fog8675309, where have you been posting from.:lol:
Good questions. But where are you? So far you've sent 22 (13.64 posts per day). I hope what you're doing is "time well spent."
Anywhere off "Fog City" maybe?

I'd bet a deuce it's Tommy Tutone. :lol:

Greyfox
04-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Both were released in 1982.

Tom
04-28-2007, 11:54 PM
Seriously, have you ever posted anything positive. Why don't you move to another state and take up a different hobby? :lol:

Do a search....I know I liked something once.:cool:

Kelso
04-29-2007, 12:34 AM
Even if it would close at that time, wouldn't the situation still be the same as it is now, as long as the odds changed at the last flash when no more betting was possible?

My guess ... and it's nothing more ... is that eliminating after-the-start wagers would cause a substantial easing of late odds fluctuations. I think such wagers, to the whatever extent they exist, come entirely from whales. IMO, few others can afford the technology, have the influence or, indeed, have the incentive it would take to effect that sort of access.

If late wagering is stopped, I'll further guess that, with the improved technology for which CJ calls, significantly eratic late odds would be unusual and random.