PDA

View Full Version : Brady Quinn loses 10 million

JustRalph
04-28-2007, 04:02 PM
I would point back to this thread

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33534&highlight=brady+quinn

How in the world could Kiper and all the "experts" have been so wrong on this guy? He didn't fool any of the NFL Gm's apparently.........Kiper should be reading pace advantage next year........!!!

The fact that Ted Ginn took his so called "Lock" pick at number 9 made me jump up and down laughing........... :lol:

Espn says Quinn lost 10 million in guaranteed money falling this far in the draft. And he hasn't been picked yet........and it's 4 p.m. :lol:

OTM Al
04-29-2007, 09:35 AM
2 observations about the draft

Was it just me or did it look like Brady was wearing makeup?

Mel Kiper disturbs me, but seriously Mel and Quentin Tarantino, separated at birth? Put a black wig on Quentin and tell me he would look and act just like Mel.

DanG
04-29-2007, 02:17 PM
but seriously Mel and Quentin Tarantino, separated at birth? Put a black wig on Quentin and tell me he would look and act just like Mel.
LOL…:lol:

That is a riot!!!

I do admire Mel’s almost computer memory though…I have a feeling he would be one fantastic handicapper.

JustRalph
04-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Was it just me or did it look like Brady was wearing makeup?

my wife made the same observation............she said he was "done up" for his close up...........

rcknhrse
04-29-2007, 08:09 PM
miami will lose alot more than 10 mil by passing on quinn.

i am not happy he went to cleveland but if they continue to shore up the O line quinn will be a star in cleveland and gthe nfl

philsfan07
04-29-2007, 10:55 PM
I would point back to this thread

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33534&highlight=brady+quinn

How in the world could Kiper and all the "experts" have been so wrong on this guy? He didn't fool any of the NFL Gm's apparently.........Kiper should be reading pace advantage next year........!!!

The fact that Ted Ginn took his so called "Lock" pick at number 9 made me jump up and down laughing........... :lol:

Espn says Quinn lost 10 million in guaranteed money falling this far in the draft. And he hasn't been picked yet........and it's 4 p.m. :lol:

I notice you're from Ohio... How ya feel about Brady now? :D

boomman
04-29-2007, 11:48 PM
Am I the only one, or does this guy remind anyone of else of Rick Mirer?:(

Boomer

JustRalph
04-30-2007, 12:40 AM
I notice you're from Ohio... How ya feel about Brady now? :D

You have to read my previous posts on this subject. You get half an hours drive outside cleveland and nobody gives a shit about cleveland. In fact it is known as the worst city in Ohio. The fact that I currently live a half an hour south of cleveland..........just reinforces it..........the place is a shit hole. I am shopping for a move next year. And the Philly thing is still on the table. So , who knows where I end up in a year. Going to follow the money. But I am not staying here for much longer. Looking back out west.........where it is warm.......but might consider the Nwest if we can work it out.

And, I think Miami did the right thing. They got the qb they wanted. And they picked up Ginn. I have always said that Quinn can't win the big one and I doubt he is going to be a a wonderboy for the Browns. It will be an interesting story to follow though. My wife gets to meet all the big time Athletes in the area thru her job. We will find out what he is like in person.

philsfan07
04-30-2007, 11:29 AM
And, I think Miami did the right thing. They got the qb they wanted. And they picked up Ginn. I have always said that Quinn can't win the big one and I doubt he is going to be a a wonderboy for the Browns. It will be an interesting story to follow though. My wife gets to meet all the big time Athletes in the area thru her job. We will find out what he is like in person.

I h ave no idea how he will turn out, I am just amazed at the backlash against Quinn and the happiness by a lot of people that he fell in the draft. I understand the hatred for Notre Dame that some have, including the overhyped players, the arrogance, etc.. But to find happiness in a kid falling down in the draft and losing millions is beyond me..

JustRalph
04-30-2007, 12:45 PM
My wife said the same thing philsfan. But when I saw him on ESPN Wednesday and he told the interviewer that
"my agent is talking to Oakland, so I think I could go number one" he set himself up........... the experts on ESPN all came on afterwards and said that he was dreaming...........yet Thursday somebody sticks a microphone in his face and he says it again.........oh well............

DanG
04-30-2007, 03:26 PM
I’m with PhilsFan on this one.

I don’t see the arrogance in the kid at all and rejoicing in him going 22nd in all of division one football seems a little petty to me…To each his own I guess. Every player I’ve heard quoted who has played with Quinn says he works his ass off. I hope the kid lights it up, but with QB’s we obviously won’t know for many years.

Agent’s filling these young men full of false hope is the sad part of this process every year.

Oh yeah…One more thing… (Don't mean to drag your thread off line Ralph, but it’s a pet peeve of mine.)

[Editorial]

Doesn’t it strike everyone each year just how illegal this process is? Can you imagine your son graduating from MIT and having companies draft the rights to your child and determine exactly where they work etc…

With all the frivolous legal proceedings this country has I’m AMAZED no one can challenge this system for what it is. Really shows the incredible juice the NFL has in this nation over law makers / NCAA etc…Love the sport…not a real fan of hypocrisy however.

philsfan07
04-30-2007, 05:54 PM
My wife said the same thing philsfan. But when I saw him on ESPN Wednesday and he told the interviewer that
"my agent is talking to Oakland, so I think I could go number one" he set himself up........... the experts on ESPN all came on afterwards and said that he was dreaming...........yet Thursday somebody sticks a microphone in his face and he says it again.........oh well............

But people forget he's still a kid, a 21 year old kid who's been told how great he is his entire life.. Not to mention an agent that had him on every talkshow, sportscast, radio show known to man the week before the draft.

Does he come across arrogant? Probably.. But so do most top college athletes. I am just surprised at the satisfaction some people got from him having to sweat it out for 4 hours

finfan
04-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Doesn’t it strike everyone each year just how illegal this process is? Can you imagine your son graduating from MIT and having companies draft the rights to your child and determine exactly where they work etc…

With all the frivolous legal proceedings this country has I’m AMAZED no one can challenge this system for what it is. Really shows the incredible juice the NFL has in this nation over law makers / NCAA etc…Love the sport…not a real fan of hypocrisy however. Isn't the draft legal because of the CBA between the players union and the owners plus Congress has given the NFL an antitrust exemption?

DanG
04-30-2007, 08:37 PM
Isn't the draft legal because of the CBA between the players union and the owners plus Congress has given the NFL an antitrust exemption?
Fin,

As I understand it, yes.

A legal ruling I personally find questionably to put it mildly.:rolleyes:

philsfan07
05-01-2007, 10:02 AM
[Editorial]

With all the frivolous legal proceedings this country has I’m AMAZED no one can challenge this system for what it is. Really shows the incredible juice the NFL has in this nation over law makers / NCAA etc…Love the sport…not a real fan of hypocrisy however.

Dan, keep one thing in mind, they don't HAVE to go where they are drafted. Plenty of players have demanded trades because they wouldnt play where they were drafted (Elway, Favre, Manning, etc..)

JustRalph
05-01-2007, 03:14 PM
As far as I can find, only Major League Baseball has a anti-trust waiver.

I don't think NFL does have an official one. they just don't get bothered.

Politicians don't like to mess with all those fans :lol:

skate
05-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Dan, keep one thing in mind, they don't HAVE to go where they are drafted. Plenty of players have demanded trades because they wouldnt play where they were drafted (Elway, Favre, Manning, etc..)

and Drew.

i gotta agree with you on Quinn.

also, i put the draft in with Miss America, when it comes to "can't stand it" time.:bang:

about six mos from now, ill take a look.

Pace Cap'n
05-01-2007, 08:29 PM
It's some funny stuff...

Brady Quinn's Blog (http://kissmesuzy.blogspot.com/2007/04/brady-quinns-inner-torment-on-saturday.html)

dylbert
05-02-2007, 09:53 PM
[Editorial]

With all the frivolous legal proceedings this country has I’m AMAZED no one can challenge this system for what it is. Really shows the incredible juice the NFL has in this nation over law makers / NCAA etc…Love the sport…not a real fan of hypocrisy however.LOL... Wish I had gotten drafted as 21 or 22 year old kid. Local kid here is multi-year veteran, 3rd string QB with his second NFL team. He earned $660,500 while holding clipboard and not taking a single snap in one, single game in 2005. HIs current deal is $2.9 million for 2006 through 2008. He did not participate in one play during 2006-2007 regular season. I have worked since I was 11 years old and have not accumulated $3.5 million.

The player is Craig Nall, Buffalo Bills. Nearly every team keeps such as individual as insurance, any volunteers? LOL...

DanG
05-02-2007, 11:10 PM
LOL... Wish I had gotten drafted as 21 or 22 year old kid. Local kid here is multi-year veteran, 3rd string QB with his second NFL team. He earned $660,500 while holding clipboard and not taking a single snap in one, single game in 2005. HIs current deal is $2.9 million for 2006 through 2008. He did not participate in one play during 2006-2007 regular season. I have worked since I was 11 years old and have not accumulated $3.5 million.

The player is Craig Nall, Buffalo Bills. Nearly every team keeps such as individual as insurance, any volunteers? LOL...
And what does that have to do with what I wrote? :confused:

finfan
05-03-2007, 12:12 AM
As far as I can find, only Major League Baseball has a anti-trust waiver.

I don't think NFL does have an official one. they just don't get bothered.
According to these the NFL has an antitrust exemption.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117955283.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&query=nfl

http://www.laborradio.org/node/3192

philsfan07
05-03-2007, 10:31 AM
And what does that have to do with what I wrote? :confused:

I think in a way it explains that part of the reason the NFL has a draft is for some sort of 'structure'..

Imagine 200+ college kids negotiating with the team they preferred. It would be utter chaos. How would you determine what type of money you should offer (compared to what each round commands now).. How would you determine length of contract? Signing bonus?

How much would you pay a Jamarcus Russell vs a cb from Hofstra?

Just would be utter chaos/.

JPinMaryland
05-03-2007, 10:43 AM
They are not forcing anyone to play in the NFL so I dont see how it is illegal. Elway did not wish to play for the Colts so they had to make a trade. He was not forced to play for the Colts.

This is a little different than what Dan is suggesting about the "MIT" draft. Presumably in that mock draft you are drafted by MIT and have to go there No one is forcing anyone to play football for a certain team. So its hard to see what the complaint would be.

Getting back to Quinn, we had this discussion before and I could not for the life of me see how he was going to go no. 1 Although Kiper kept saying it. I dont know when/if Kiper got off his bandwagon. He doesnt look like he can step right into the NFL right now and perform at a high level. Later perhaps, but cant be sure.

THere is nothing to gloat about. Someone else drafted in his place will get the money that he might have made, so there is nothing to feel smug about. I just am in total disbelief how Kipers word can travel so far among pundits.

Sat. night I am listening to these two guys on ESPN going on and on about how all these teams made such a big mistake not taking him. Miami messed up, etc. How come these two radio guys know more about QUinn than all the GMs in the NFL? Or at least 20-22 of them? HOw is that? They were the only ones who subscribe to Mel's newsletter I suppose.

I didnt think taking Ginn was so bad either. The guy looks like he can step right into the NFL and start playing right away. I would not be so sure that Cal Johnson guy is so much better, there are plenty of later chosen WR who turn out to be the best finds in the draft.

DanG
05-03-2007, 10:55 AM
I think in a way it explains that part of the reason the NFL has a draft is for some sort of 'structure'..

Imagine 200+ college kids negotiating with the team they preferred. It would be utter chaos. How would you determine what type of money you should offer (compared to what each round commands now).. How would you determine length of contract? Signing bonus?

How much would you pay a Jamarcus Russell vs a cb from Hofstra?

Just would be utter chaos/.
We agree to disagree on this one…

"Utter chaos" is another term for a free market.

philsfan07
05-03-2007, 11:07 AM
We agree to disagree on this one…

"Utter chaos" is another term for a free market.

From a logistical standpoint, it would be utter chaos.. You would probably not even have 50 guys signed by training camp. What would a #1 draft pick command? How about a #5 type? And how do you compare who's a #1 and who's a 6th rounder?

And in a way, there is drafting, per se in some circles.. What about top law firms pursuing top students out of law school?

DanG
05-03-2007, 12:04 PM
From a logistical standpoint, it would be utter chaos.. You would probably not even have 50 guys signed by training camp. What would a #1 draft pick command? How about a #5 type? And how do you compare who's a #1 and who's a 6th rounder?

And in a way, there is drafting, per se in some circles.. What about top law firms pursuing top students out of law school?
Phil, Law firms pursue “students” the way every profession does…By making them an offer and allowing the human to choose.

As far as slotting salaries, that’s what a free market does. The salary cap and quality ownership would determine employee’s wages.

My daughter had many colleges after her and she visited many campuses. To think she would graduate and have Architectural firms telling her exactly where she will live and decide her salary based upon where she is selected is absolutely absurd on any level.

As I said…We just disagree on this issue.

Didn’t mean to take this off the Brady Quinn theme…I apologize…I’ll move on here.

philsfan07
05-03-2007, 01:19 PM
[QUOTE=DanG]Phil, Law firms pursue “students” the way every profession does…By making them an offer and allowing the human to choose.

QUOTE]

Well after the dust settles, the players still do have the right to choose. If they don't want to play for a team, they don't have to.

And back to the Quinn thing.. I think A) he'll still be rich, B) He'll be loved by Cleveland and C) He will succeed in the NFL

rastajenk
05-03-2007, 02:40 PM
The Browns will be a whole lot better, with the draft and other offseason moves. What this means is not that they will become playoff-ready right away, but they'll take a few automatic wins away from the divisional rivals....which will impact the playoff structure...which will guarantee Indy or New England home field through January for at least the next couple years.

JPinMaryland
05-16-2007, 02:01 AM

What law school draft is this? What are you talking about?