PDA

View Full Version : MPH

BigJake
04-28-2007, 02:56 PM
I am using an old version of MPH that I haven't used in a while. I use to get my data files from brisnet but I don't seem to be able to find the same file I use to use. I was a comma dilimited file that I could get for $.50. Any help would be appreciated.

Jake

Tom
04-28-2007, 03:43 PM
I sue the Bris single file - $1.
I think I can also use the TSN data file, just rename is as *.drf

Cool program, eh?
I am starting to use it more and more lately. Do you have the Quirin pace/speed figure modlue for it? I really like the older versio a lot. I also like being able to put in multiple lines for a horse. I start with the early horses, several lines each, then match up the pressers and closer, several line for each. Very nifty program.

BigJake
04-28-2007, 03:53 PM
I do not have that module, I don't think. I can choose multiple lines but it shows up multiple times in the rankings. I do like the program, and had a little of success at little tracks in TX and LA. I am not very good with it and would be interested in learning anything you would be willing to share.

Jingle
04-29-2007, 06:37 AM
Jake--if you want to average several lines make sure you have 2 pacelines selected (not 1 or none) in the system setup. The Pace Module will appear when you hit the space bar when viewing past performances (if you have it).

I suggest you use 2 Automatic Pacelines and Bris files or CJ's Figs. Check the paceline selections. I have been using MPH since 1996 and think it is one of the best pieces of software out there. Reduce the # of contenders to 5-6 to get rid of the smoke on the Handicapping Screen.

You will be pleasantly surprised with the results!!

shoelessjoe
04-29-2007, 08:56 AM
I havent used this program in a long time.When you download from Bris where do you put the file?Thanks Jeff

Jingle
04-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Shoe

Goes in the MPH folder. Create a Folder if you haven't done so. Also, make sure you unzip the file from Bris.

shoelessjoe
04-29-2007, 09:36 AM
Jingle,Thanks.

shoelessjoe
04-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Tom,I just ran some races with it using your idea of matching the horses and it really does set it up nicely.Thanks Jeff

grahors
04-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Where is this software available??? Links??
Thanks,Cecil
And you can use CJs figs with it?? Hmmmm

BigJake
04-29-2007, 07:18 PM
I've beat the spacebar to death while looking at the past performances. Now I'm with the guy above :) I need to know where I can get this module.

Jake

Jingle
04-30-2007, 07:49 AM
The last version Brohammer and Ken Massa developed was in 1996. Soon after, Brohammer lent his name to Trackmaster and Ken Massa moved on as you probably know. The Quirin Pace Module was sold as a seperate add-on with MPH. The numbers are Quirin style and include Pace of the Race, Pace of the Horse, Final Time of the Race, and Final Time of the Horse for all running lines.

As far as I know Trackmaster sells a watered-down version of MPH--it does not include automatic paceline selection or the pace Module. Massa's HTR2 includes all of the above and several additional "bells and whistles".

Hope this helps.

turfbar
04-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Trackmaster also sells comma delimeted files that work with MPH.
Turfbar

Tom
04-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Only if you have the TM version....the early versions used Bris, and a couple others probably long gone by the wayside.

Jingle
04-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Turfbar---there is or was a problem with Trackmaster comma-delimited files using Massa's software and I'll try to explain what it is. I'm not sure if the problem is corrected using Trackmaster's version. I will tell you that I spent many an hour with Trackmaster personnel trying to explain the problem. They finally got it and asked if their programmer could call me back. I agreed and never heard from them again.

Here's the problem: As you know, MPH lists the running times and the beaten lengths for each call. Bris and TSN Files list a 0 for the final call beaten lengths if the horse won. For some reason Trackmaster files will list by how many lengths the winner won by ie 2.0, 1.50, 7.00, etc. in the final beaten lengths which the program reads the horse being beaten by these number of lengths and of course penalizes the winner. I hope this makes sense to you and no I'm not sipping on scotch as I write this.

Now, maybe the Trackmaster version reads the final beaten lengths as the lengths the horse won by but I don't think so. I will admit I have been wrong "once" before!! Trackmaster told me initially there was no problem but later agreed there is a problem as I described after they understood what I was talking about.

No, the sky is not falling but I just wanted to make you aware of the experience I had using Trackmaster Files. Take a look at the next file you download and see what it says for final beaten lengths for the winner--should be 0. I'd be interested.

Good Handicapping to you.

ranchwest
04-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Turfbar---there is or was a problem with Trackmaster comma-delimited files using Massa's software and I'll try to explain what it is. I'm not sure if the problem is corrected using Trackmaster's version. I will tell you that I spent many an hour with Trackmaster personnel trying to explain the problem. They finally got it and asked if their programmer could call me back. I agreed and never heard from them again.

Here's the problem: As you know, MPH lists the running times and the beaten lengths for each call. Bris and TSN Files list a 0 for the final call beaten lengths if the horse won. For some reason Trackmaster files will list by how many lengths the winner won by ie 2.0, 1.50, 7.00, etc. in the final beaten lengths which the program reads the horse being beaten by these number of lengths and of course penalizes the winner. I hope this makes sense to you and no I'm not sipping on scotch as I write this.

Now, maybe the Trackmaster version reads the final beaten lengths as the lengths the horse won by but I don't think so. I will admit I have been wrong "once" before!! Trackmaster told me initially there was no problem but later agreed there is a problem as I described after they understood what I was talking about.

No, the sky is not falling but I just wanted to make you aware of the experience I had using Trackmaster Files. Take a look at the next file you download and see what it says for final beaten lengths for the winner--should be 0. I'd be interested.

Good Handicapping to you.

I don't know how MPH uses the data, but I do know that the TSN files have the lengths available as both the margin (including winning margin) and beaten lengths only (winner shown as zero) for all calls.

zazzle
04-30-2007, 07:41 PM
MPH has been a great help to me for years. I use it like Tom said, work the early then pressers then sustained horses several lines each to have a stronger feel for what will happen. Brohammer liked the single line match-up rather than the average 2 line set-up.

If the program reads the winner with lengths ahead, the pace sort does come out correctly. A strong early winner will show something like 1 1 2 1 1. If it downgraded the win it would look like 2 1 4 4 3.

Also remember a 33333 or 34333 can be a strong indicator such as Doc Sartin mentioned years ago. Don't throw that horse out on that reading alone.

Find a money horse spot play with whatever program you use. Qualify it with a MPH read-out. If MPH doesn't show it's strong move, the money horse won't hit the board, ever.

shoelessjoe
04-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Since this topic got started I have been looking everywhere for the instruction booklet that came with the program.Figures when I need something I cant find it.

BigJake
04-30-2007, 09:08 PM
MPH has been a great help to me for years. I use it like Tom said, work the early then pressers then sustained horses several lines each to have a stronger feel for what will happen. Brohammer liked the single line match-up rather than the average 2 line set-up.

Find a money horse spot play with whatever program you use. Qualify it with a MPH read-out. If MPH doesn't show it's strong move, the money horse won't hit the board, ever.

I am interested to know how others use this. I don't have the 2 line module thingy (sounds like I am 12 now). How are you all using it on horses who have run on the artifical ground and are running on dirt now? Is anyone using it on Hollywood right now? Skip the pacelines or what?

Jake

shoelessjoe
05-02-2007, 08:37 PM
It's been awhile since I used the program.Once I have picked my pacelines how do I view them on the handicapping screen.Thanks Shoeless

Tom
05-02-2007, 10:16 PM
F2 - Convert/Save to MPH
Then <Alt>M to switch to the program.
F3 - Retireve race

F1 is alway HELP from anywhere.

shoelessjoe
05-03-2007, 06:03 AM
THANKS

Jingle
05-03-2007, 07:39 AM
Jake--pick your paceline using the up and down arrow keys and then hit enter to select paceline. When you finish with all horses you want to use, hit F2 to save to the handicapping proogram as Tom mentions above.

I have been staying away from Polytrack pacelines unless track I'm handicapping is Poly.

turfbar
05-03-2007, 09:34 AM
Jingle sorry for the delay in a response my ISP was down for 2 days so I couldn't,as a matter of fact I wrote a lenghty letter that never arrived there,lost in cyberspace I guess.... hhmmm I don't see any problem with the MPH paceline,
now bear with me, have you ever manually input the figures into your MPH program or just downloaded them in?

I suggest that as a exercise you do that for a few days you will then see what you consider problem is not a problem at all.

I find MPH a great program but as I wrote in said letter that was lost where the hell is Brohamer ,I bitched in previous letter that he abandoned the program he wrote a 2nd edition book a few years ago that was no new information just simply a xerox'd copy of original . There are plenty of questions that I have had for Brohamer but where the hell is he,..... golfing really not fair to cultists (laff)
any other MPH ers you would like to hAVE A DIALOGUE i WOULD BE INTERESTED IN MAYBE FIGURING SOME OF THIS STUFF OUT.
sorry for the caps

Turfbar

Tom
05-03-2007, 10:28 AM
We could have a live chat, do a card live, for any interested.
Depending on the time of day, I would participate.

Jingle
05-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Count me in for a live chat.

Turf--agree and I have input my own numbers and there is no problem.

The only thing I'm saying is with the Massa Ver, and Trackmaster Exe Files, the final call for the winner shows the lengths he/she won by ie. 2, 6, etc.

Bris and Tsn Files show a 0 in the final call for the winner. Trackmaster folks agreed the won by 2 or 6 lengths would penalize the winner. Maybe the Trackmaster Ver doesn't do that or they fixed the problem. I think you will agree MPH doesn't reward the winner who wins by a nose, 6, 16, or 20 lenghts.

Good Luck on the the Derby. I'm trying to avoid using Poly Tracks for pacelines. Put in the Blue Grass Stakes for Zanjero and I bet he comes up on top. I think a bad race to use.

shoelessjoe
05-03-2007, 04:46 PM
I would be interested to see how some of you more experienced guys use the program.Count me in as well.Shoeless

John
05-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Since this topic got started I have been looking everywhere for the instruction booklet that came with the program.Figures when I need something I cant find it.

SHOE, If you find the instruction booklet. Please send me a copy.I have the program but no explainations.

Jingle, has been a great help in geting me to run MPH corectly.

:) :) :)

philsfan07
05-08-2007, 01:32 PM
We could have a live chat, do a card live, for any interested.
Depending on the time of day, I would participate.
Anyone interested in doing a card on Thursday night??

Tom
05-08-2007, 02:35 PM
In between SURVIVOR, sure. :D

What track(s)?

philsfan07
05-08-2007, 02:48 PM
In between SURVIVOR, sure. :D

What track(s)?

How about Evilgeline and Lonestar?

BigJake
05-08-2007, 10:51 PM
I want to ask again if anyone knows where I can get this software. Other than Trackmaster. I really want to try and get the mod. I am missing and also I am having problems getting this to run on my older computer. I can't get the files to transfer to my laptop right. I don't want to give Trackmaster 150 bucks for a watered down version. If anyone can help let me know.

andicap
05-08-2007, 11:59 PM
I sue the Bris single file - $1.
I think I can also use the TSN data file, just rename is as *.drf

Cool program, eh?
I am starting to use it more and more lately. Do you have the Quirin pace/speed figure modlue for it? I really like the older versio a lot. I also like being able to put in multiple lines for a horse. I start with the early horses, several lines each, then match up the pressers and closer, several line for each. Very nifty program.

Tom,
Did you quit HTR?
For neophytes that's the successor program to MPH. Ken Massa wrote both.

philsfan07
05-09-2007, 12:45 AM
I want to ask again if anyone knows where I can get this software. Other than Trackmaster. I really want to try and get the mod. I am missing and also I am having problems getting this to run on my older computer. I can't get the files to transfer to my laptop right. I don't want to give Trackmaster 150 bucks for a watered down version. If anyone can help let me know.

You just need MPH?

Jingle
05-09-2007, 06:16 AM
Not a good week for me for a live chat. My grandaughter plays on a AAU travelling basketball team in and out of State and we'll be on the road.

The team plays in Saratoga in couple of weeks and I can't wait--its like visiting Heaven!!

Good Luck

Jingle
05-09-2007, 06:20 AM
Jake--what do you have now? I thought you had MPH when you asked about picking pacelines.

Jingle
05-09-2007, 08:25 AM
I am not too good at this but I have attached today's, 5-9-2007, Belmont Readout from MPH before scratches for the first 5 races. Thought you might want to compare with what you come up with. I use 2 pacelines. Hope it works

Jingle
05-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Here are the last 4 races for Belmont.

Tom
05-09-2007, 10:31 AM
I'll try to be there Thursday.

BigJake
05-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Jake--what do you have now? I thought you had MPH when you asked about picking pacelines.

I do have MPH from a while ago (its on my old computer). I asked about pacelines because I was going to start using it again. I actually downloaded the sample file from Brisbet and thought I was on my way, but my old computer keeps shutting down before I get a race to the Model. I tried to transfer the files to my laptop, but I am obviously missing something because MPH is open and shows the files like normal. When I try to select pacelines it says it can not read the files. I've turned this into a TMI reply, but the short of it is I would like to know where I can find this software.

ldiatone
05-10-2007, 08:11 AM
yo jingle.
seems you had the winner in the top 5. did you make a BEl track model? when i worked with MPH i tried to use the track model and profile. the models are easy to work with and i found very useful.
ldiatone
noticed HE was # 1 a few times for the winners

Jingle
05-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Idiatone.
Yes I do use the Model but not the profile--too much work.
Anyway, I will admit yesterday was one of the worst days I have ever had with MPH. I usually get the winner in the top 3 AP about 70% of the time.
You are correct, Hidden Energy is deadly on Turf over a mile at Belmont. Derdy Day I caught Brickell in the 6th at Bel, HE=1, Turf, paid $57 to win. (Don't mean to redboard and I'm not boasting.) I will also tell you I use CJ's Figs with MPH most of the time. Derby Day I didn't due to a screw-up by me converting. Someone sent me the MPH readout using CJ's Figs and Automatic 2 Pacelines--It had Street on top with Curlin and Hard tied for 2nd. I probably wouldn't have had it anyway as being the keen handicapper that I am, I threw Hard and Curlin out as non-contenders!!

Yes, MPH is alive and well!! You ought to give it another try.

Good handicapping

PS. Yesterday, 3rd at Bel, 8.5Turf Big Bold HE=1 paid $46. to win. I missed it

Tom
05-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Jingle, your using CJ's .drf file in MPH?
I thought about trying that, but then thought since his figures are not in the BRIS scale, the variants would be screwed up. I gotta try it and see what happens.

Tonight - Evd and LS?

Jingle
05-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Tom--works fine. I have Bris Replace checked. Thanks to you and your instructions, I made changes to the Bris PP Generator and get all or most of CJ's Figs in my past performances. Do you want the CDX.DRF File for Derby Day converted to CJ's Figs. Be glad to send it--will need your email address. You can send it to me privately if you want: wecoleman@snet.net.

Good handicapping.

Tom
05-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks, I 've got it.
Will try it tonight.
Glad the replace info was helpful.

BigJake
05-10-2007, 07:13 PM
All I get when I access the chat is a grey screen. What don't I have that I need?

Beethoven
05-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Um, Jake...

Do you have a link for that Bris MPH download? I'd like to try it out too.

BigJake
05-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Its the DRF single files that you download into MPH. I played EVD tonight with it. MPH did pretty good. I've got to work out my personal bugs in reading it, but the winner was in the top 5 MPH choices in 5 of 6 races I played. I missed and obvious $18 horse and my only win was a 13.60 horse. I was disappointed that the chat never materialized (or at least I couldn't find it). I'd like for anyone interested to try it again later.

Jake

Lefty
05-11-2007, 11:32 AM
MPH will also use TSN or TSN Procaps files if you rename em to drf.

Tom
05-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Its the DRF single files that you download into MPH. I played EVD tonight with it. MPH did pretty good. I've got to work out my personal bugs in reading it, but the winner was in the top 5 MPH choices in 5 of 6 races I played. I missed and obvious $18 horse and my only win was a 13.60 horse. I was disappointed that the chat never materialized (or at least I couldn't find it). I'd like for anyone interested to try it again later.

Jake

I'll try again tonight.

John
05-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks, I 've got it.
Will try it tonight.
Glad the replace info was helpful.

Tom, If you figure a way to use TSN file in MPH. Please let us know.

:) :) :)

Lefty
05-11-2007, 12:17 PM
John, i just put that up a couple posts ago. Just rename the tsn ext after you unzip itr to a drf ext.

John
05-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Lefty, No Good.

I highlight the TSN file and click "Rename" the track name and date appear.
CDX0512. there is no .ext to rename. If I add .drf. It won't work in MPH.

Thanks for your thoughts.

JimG
05-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Lefty, No Good.

I highlight the TSN file and click "Rename" the track name and date appear.
CDX0512. there is no .ext to rename. If I add .drf. It won't work in MPH.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi John,

The tsn file name for that file is cdx0512.eg It sounds like your extension is not showing. Change the display in windows. Click view, then "details" and the extension should display. Change the extension from "eg" to "drf" and it should load into the program. Cannot guarantee how well it will work as compared to an actual drf file.

Jim

Beethoven
05-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks Jake, Lefty and Tom. :)

EEK! My question wasn't clear enough. I meant where do you download the MPH application itself? Is Trackmaster ($199) the only place you can buy it from? Because they only seem to want to sell to existing subscribers.

My bad. Sorry guys!

Tom
05-11-2007, 02:50 PM
That is the new version - I have the original. You need to use TM files for that one.

Jingle
05-11-2007, 06:02 PM
John--see above posts by Lefty and Jim G--works fine.

Gibbon
05-11-2007, 06:07 PM
...MPH did pretty good....the winner was in the top 5 MPH choices in 5 of 6 races.... Yup this is just to easy. So I went back in time on this racecard and ran the old DRF sp + tv
{not Beyer or Moss}

and guess what??????

Do I have to say it.

Alright, another fancy computer program bits the dust.

BillW
05-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Hey Gibbon,

Do you know your beloved DRF is printed by a computer. :lol:

headhawg
05-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Alright, another fancy computer program bits the dust.And another English teaches cringes mightily.

BTW Gibbon, this forum is clearly titled "Handicapping Software -- Using purchased or home-grown handicapping software? Tell us about it!" As your disdain for computer software methods has been presented ad nauseum, kindly refrain from any more useless comments in this forum.

And any other forums here for that matter.

BillW
05-11-2007, 06:32 PM
And any other forums here for that matter.

I was thinking "Off Topic". Sorry for the detour, we can get back on topic now, guys.

bw

BigJake
05-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the defense guys. Am I insane for getting excited over eliminating more than half the field in every race? EVD does start up to 14 in a race (although I think it only happened once last night). Most were 8-12 horse fields. Anyway, is anyone going to be available tonight to work this card together?

Jake

Gibbon
05-11-2007, 07:26 PM
And another English teaches cringes mightily. Evidently I bit off more than I can chew.

Dictionary.com
bit --

3b) A bit part
3d) A matter being considered
5a) A particular kind of action, situation, or behavior

also, a Single Entendre not to be confused with a Double Entendreas as in bits (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit) and bytes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte).

Perhaps it's just me.

While you're burying your noggin in an array of often conflicting numbers, I'll be watching the young ladies at Saratoga and picking winners simultaneously.

Do you know your beloved DRF is printed by a computerNo way!? :cool: Takes me all of 10mins to run three race cards. The rest is framing my wagers just as Steve Fierro so potently lays out in the best books ever written. "THE FOUR QUARTERS OF HORSE INVESTING."

BillW
05-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Gibbon,

Keep the thread on topic or you'll start to tick the moderators off, and you surely don't want to do that.

bw

Lefty
05-11-2007, 07:49 PM
The old Bris ver of MPH is no longer offered for sale.

PaceAdvantage
05-11-2007, 10:48 PM
All I get when I access the chat is a grey screen. What don't I have that I need?

Java?

Jingle
05-12-2007, 07:05 AM
Alright, another fancy computer program bits the dust.

"A mind is like parachute, it only works when it opens".

Good Handicapping to all.

MrBill
05-12-2007, 08:22 AM
Long time lurker and I'd thoguht I'd give you my two cents on MPH. I have version 1.4 that is dated 1996. It currently will wotk with BRIS single files. (I've never used TSN, so I wouldn' know about them.) All you have to do is save the unzipped BRIS file to the MPH directory. On the main page go to the line that says Race Cards and select it. Then go to line that says Trackmaster TranB_.def and select that. The cards that you have downloaded will be available there and you can process them. There is no need to rename the files or have a separate translator to get the files to work.

I used the software several years ago when Detroit Race Course was open and had a great deal of sucess with it. The track was only a few minutes from my house so I used to go there quite a bit. The modeling function was a great tool to narrow down the contenders there.

One thing that it taught me was how important matching up races distances can be. At DRC there were a lot of 5.5 f races. It doesn't seem like much of a difference but horses that can win at 6f did not translate to 5.5f winners and vice versa.

Hope this helps,

Mr Bill

BigJake
05-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Now that I've MPH thing working (It works great at HOL on Friday Night and I used it at Bel for + ROI this weekend). I want to ask a few more questions.
1. Profiling Tracks or Races (or whatever). What is it? What does it do? How does it help? I want to make sure I am using it to its fullest.

2. Is there a program / database that will help me keep my records? After I pick a horse I want to be able to keep track of ROI's at different Tracks and class levels. If I wanted to pull my ROI for CD MCl 25K. I'd like to be able to pull it up. I am currently using Excel and its a pain in the a$$ to try and extract the information I want.

As always, any help is appreciated.

Big Jake

ldiatone
05-29-2007, 08:48 AM
hello
the profile track section profiles your tracks by using the charts. using 1st and 2nd call along with beaten lenghts. the decision model uses the races one saves to the software and breaks sprint and routes. it will show all sprints or just the distance. if one has saved 8 6f races at 5000 cl it will show what wins at this distance by a/p e/p s/p f/x h/e. it will show all sprints or all routes or break them down by distance the f3 key shows the races, f5 gives an avg. and top 1-2-3.of a/p etc. and the f12 key give a bar graph. the profile does similiar things, but uses what wins at the 1st call, 2nd, call and position.
ldiatone