PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR Fixing Races?

billrock
04-28-2007, 07:11 AM
A few days ago Tony Stewart made a statement that he thought NASCAR was fixing races by throwing bogus caution flags at key points in the races and saying it was for "debris on the track." Do you think this is true or is he just crazy?

philsfan07
04-28-2007, 09:39 AM
A few days ago Tony Stewart made a statement that he thought NASCAR was fixing races by throwing bogus caution flags at key points in the races and saying it was for "debris on the track." Do you think this is true or is he just crazy?

What is NASCAR?

Pace Cap'n
04-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Absolutely true. Several of the drivers, past and present, have alluded to the "debris-on track" caution late in a race used to regroup the field and the resultant disadvantage to the leader(s).

I've not seen this mentioned anywhere, but I have my doubts about the fuel. How many times has a "name" car that's been going nowhere jumped up and ran away with a race at the most opportune time? Who supplies the fuel?

Buddha
04-28-2007, 10:20 AM
I think fixing is a strong word there because they still can't determine the winner, they are just making it tougher for the car that was on the lead. It just gets everyone back together so it can be a "dramatic" finish.

JustRalph
04-28-2007, 04:05 PM
He didn't say they were fixing races.........but he came close.

This is an old story. This has been going on for years.

Those guys who come to the front at the end of a race are "smart"

they don't use their cars up. See Ryan Newman for the greatest example of a driver that uses his car up every race and used to lead a bunch of laps and fall back every race.

the good teams know where the points and money get paid. It's on the last lap.........

GaryG
04-28-2007, 04:28 PM
It's on the last lap.........Can't watch a last lap without thinking of DE...

JustRalph
04-28-2007, 05:14 PM
Can't watch a last lap without thinking of DE...

Amen!!

OTM Al
04-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Caught the end of todays race with Jeff Gordon making a great run to grab the front right before the caution leading to "over drive" (man that's a dumb term they decided on). I always cheer for Gordon because A) he is kinda an Indiana boy like me and B) NASCAR fans hate him. He gives all good words about Dale Earnhart after his last win and these bums in the stands are actually throwing crap on the track after he wins because he passed the sainted one's win total. Was surprised the commentators actually said something about it. Always thought Earnhart was borderline dirty driver, but the fans still seem to have this love affair with him to the point of elevating his good but not yet great son to godhood years ago.

rastajenk
04-30-2007, 12:45 AM
People always refer to NASCAR as some kind of model for horse racing to emulate, but at least we didn't shower Pinkie with beer when he passed The Shoe.