PDA

View Full Version : NY stewards- incompetency

aaron
04-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Top Flight DQ reversed
As usual the stewards in NY have come up incompetent.The DQ in the Top Flight has been reversed.Once again the bettors have been screwed.
There was also a race 3 or 4 weeks ago in which jockey Alan Garcia was disqualifed from 2nd to 3rd for the same infraction,but the stewards made the same decision as in the Top Flight. If that isn't the height of incompetence,I don't know what else the stewards could do to top it.

alysheba88
04-27-2007, 07:22 PM
You do realize that while you think some bettors were "screwed" that there are those who benefited right?

I didnt see the race but will watch it. I will say they dont take them down much in NY, which is what I like.

aaron
04-27-2007, 08:45 PM
Alysheba-
The point here is that the stewards probably don't even know the rules. If you could find the race of a few weeks ago,the same think happened and the disqualification stayed. This is the first time,I can remember a horse not being taken down when the horse is hit with the whip. I always thought that was an automtic take down.
As for the bettors who got screwed,I see no different in this,than when the stewards disqualified the wrong horse at Saratoga.

PaceAdvantage
04-28-2007, 02:55 AM
Alysheba-
The point here is that the stewards probably don't even know the rules.

Yeah, that's probably it....it's likely nothing but strippers and booze up there in the stewards stand all day long....:rolleyes:

cj
04-28-2007, 05:47 AM
Yeah, that's probably it....it's likely nothing but strippers and booze up there in the stewards stand all day long....:rolleyes:

While I can see you point, the calls by the stewards in New York have been pathetic for about a year at least. Have you forgotten when they failed to even post an inquiry when two jocks engaged in a fistfight for about a furlong in front of the field for all to see? And one did hit the board, and was wrongfully left up.

aaron
04-28-2007, 08:37 AM
Pace-
When was the last time in NY you saw a horse stay up if he was hit by a whip ?
I'd take your comments more seriously if they had some balance.
I would say the stewards have been inconsistent at best for at least 4-5 years if not longer.
If you'd bother to watch races,you'd see a horse taken down in the 3rd race,but left up in the 7th for very similar infractions.
If the stewards knew what they were doing why was the decision reversed ?

PaceAdvantage
04-28-2007, 11:42 PM
I was merely commenting on your ABSURD notion that the stewards don't know the rules.

I never said I agreed with all of their rulings and I never said all of their decisions are fair and consistent....and I don't know why I have to defend my statement like this.

As if one can even BECOME a steward WITHOUT knowing the rules....

Tom
04-28-2007, 11:53 PM
Years ago, they placed the wrong horse as the winner! Not even a clsoe second finishers, but like 5th!!!!

Not sure if it was at SAR or BEL, but they got that state steward right out of there pronto.....send him to FINGER LAKES!!!!! :mad:

cj
04-29-2007, 01:32 AM
Years ago, they placed the wrong horse as the winner! Not even a clsoe second finishers, but like 5th!!!!

Not sure if it was at SAR or BEL, but they got that state steward right out of there pronto.....send him to FINGER LAKES!!!!! :mad:

Wow, they PROMOTED him?

aaron
04-29-2007, 08:53 AM
Pace-,It may seen absurd to you that the stewards do not know the rules,but what seems absurd to me is that if the stewards are aware of the rules,how come nobody can remember a horse not being taken down in NY when the jockey hits the horse with a whip.
There was a similar take down about 3-4 weeks ago,that has not even been questioned.
I always thought that hitting a horse with a whip was an automatic take down. Now,I think it should be an automatic disqualification,because if these stewards have the use their judgement,nothing positive can come of it,because all you have to do is watch the race that was reversed and you can clearly see that going by the rules there is no way the winner should have been disqualified. I didn't have the winner or the horse put up,so I am not being biased because of a bet.
If anyone on this board,can recall a horse being left up in NY under similar circumstances please respond.

NY BRED
04-29-2007, 09:37 AM
I have to chuckle reading these posts based upon my previous rants

I again hope some race track in the U.S.takes the initiative to
create a qualified group of owner/fan representatives to review the tapes
and the decision of the stewards to protect necessary interests.

Polytack surfaces may help create less injury to horses and jockeys
but ineffective stewards and track indifference will cause financial injury to
fans and owners creating even further declines in revenue and attendance.

Kelso
04-29-2007, 04:48 PM
I always thought that hitting a horse with a whip was an automatic take down.

Is this a NY rule? I'm sure I've seen it done openly and often ... without penalty.

Why do jockeys carry whips, if not to "motivate" their mounts? (Wouldn't bother me at all to see whips banned ... but so long as they're allowed, what else is there to do with them?)

Is this really the rule? Thank you.

Tape Reader
04-29-2007, 07:41 PM
I don’t have the data to back up my memory, but last year at Saratoga I had one that clearly whipped the horse along side in the face during the stretch drive, accidentally I thought. There were even moans in the crowd during the replay. I thought there would be a DQ, but the result was official. However, I don’t think it influenced the outcome of the race.

aaron
04-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Kelso-I meant that a jockey hits someone elses mount with the whip.
Tape Reader-If someone could track down that race at Saratoga,I'd be interested to see it.

dylbert
04-29-2007, 08:15 PM
You do realize that while you think some bettors were "screwed" that there are those who benefited right?

I didnt see the race but will watch it. I will say they dont take them down much in NY, which is what I like.Hey, would you like to contribute? I had trifecta with Rahys' Appeal on top; DQ cost me over $500! Would have covered what my wife spent on that Black Friday... LOL.

Owner is now happy; gets $90,000 winner's purse up from $30,000 for place postion.

In many jurisdictions, stewards are selected through patronage not merit. This should change now.

the_fat_man
04-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Let me put you all out of your lazy and uniformed misery:

From the article on the NTRA site (why would any of you idiots actually bother to read the specifics before commenting?)

"Rahys' Appeal, owned by Marlene Brody's Gallagher's Stud, finished first by three lengths in the Top Flight but was disqualified by the stewards because jockey Alan Garcia's whip inadvertently struck the runner-up, Malibu Mint (http://www.ntra.com/stats_bios.aspx?id=18964), in the face in midstretch. While it was a widely held belief that a whip to the face is automatic grounds for disqualification, the rule states the act must be deemed willful. Immediately after the race, the stewards indicated the act was not willful, but they felt it affected the outcome of the race.

At its monthly meeting Thursday, the board unanimously reversed the decision, saying there was no legal ground for disqualifying Rahys' Appeal.

"The board agrees there was no dispute that the whip of Rahys' Appeal struck Malibu Mint, but there is no rule that allows for a penalty or disqualification like the one imposed based on the careless use of the whip, only the willful use of the whip," said a board spokesman, Dan Toomey.

Toomey added that the board's chairman, Daniel Hogan, has directed his staff to revisit the whip rule and possibly add "careless use" of the whip as means for disqualification.

"That rocked me back," said Tom Bush, trainer of Rahys' Appeal, said of the decision. "That is the most unbelievable news I ever heard in my life." "

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh

Tom
04-29-2007, 09:47 PM
(why would any of you idiots actually bother to read the specifics before commenting?)

Because we knew some other idiot would post it for us? :lol:

Kelso
04-29-2007, 10:33 PM
[QUOTE=aaron]Kelso-I meant that a jockey hits someone elses mount with the whip.
[QUOTE]

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Aaron. Sorry I hadn't picked up on it.

the_fat_man
04-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Because we knew some other idiot would post it for us? :lol:

You really need to get out of the house, TOM.

Being the leading poster on PA speaks volumes for (the quality of) YOUR LIFE.

Something you've always aspired to, I suppose.

You are truly the QUINTESSENTIAL DUMBASS.

Now, STAND BY your PC till my next post (which would be THIS ONE, TOM) so that you can respond.

ha ha ha ha

Tom
04-29-2007, 10:46 PM
Play nice, now.
If you are going to fling it, learn to duck.:lol:

If you aspire to keep up with me, though, a bike won't cut it.
I'm in the ffffffasttttttt lane.

Hurry up and post your derby pick....so I can structure my supers around it.....way around it! :lol:

No need to reply, I'm off to bed so I can keep up this monster pace I set for myself.

PaceAdvantage
04-30-2007, 02:21 AM
thanks for that fat man....but why do you have to act like such a tool?

Is it fear of rejection that causes you to lash out even BEFORE anyone has a chance to piss in your cornflakes?

Indulto
04-30-2007, 03:18 AM
... Is it fear of rejection that causes you to lash out even BEFORE anyone has a chance to piss in your cornflakes?PA,
tfm probably eats the breakfast of champions. Meanwhile, after reading your post, I had to throw out all my boxes of breakfast cereal. Just in case anybody wondered, Lucky Charms don't flush very well. :ThmbDown: