View Full Version : Pletcher's thoughts on the Derby

john del riccio
04-27-2007, 01:40 PM
http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=38603

John

DanG
04-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Good article John, thanks;

Todd somewhat echoed my personal take on his "0’fer" Derby record. I can’t remember when I really thought he was leading over the best animal. He may very well not be this time either, but I find it interesting he’s changed up his spacing. I would be shocked if at least 3 of his 5 don’t fire what raw ability they have.

Valuist
04-27-2007, 10:02 PM
It seems to be very popular to toss out all of Pletchers runners. OK, Cowtown Cat doesn't fit but the others look solid. I think he not only has a shot at winning, but possibly the exacta as well.

cj
04-28-2007, 06:10 AM
Pletcher on the Derby.

Next week, the Braves on the World Series.

Part III, Buffalo talks Super Bowl.

Tom
04-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Pletcher's Derby horses:

1a
1b
1c
1d
1e
1f

This guy could lose 10 pounds getting up and down down for the post position draw! :D

classhandicapper
04-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Good article John, thanks;

Todd somewhat echoed my personal take on his "0’fer" Derby record. I can’t remember when I really thought he was leading over the best animal. He may very well not be this time either, but I find it interesting he’s changed up his spacing. I would be shocked if at least 3 of his 5 don’t fire what raw ability they have.

I thought Bandini might have the best horse going into that derby, but he got hurt in the race and wasn't really the same (or didn't develop at all) when they tried to bring him back.

DanG
04-28-2007, 12:06 PM
I thought Bandini might have the best horse going into that derby, but he got hurt in the race and wasn't really the same (or didn't develop at all) when they tried to bring him back.
Your right Class,

Bandani was a legitimate contender and I had completely forgotten about him.

Pace Cap'n
04-28-2007, 12:39 PM
From a link in a previous post by Karl, the referenced article noted that Pletcher is training his Derby horses at Keeneland rather than CD. While the article didn't say exactly how soon before the Derby he will ship them over, does anyone think it odd that his charges will have limited experience on the CD surface?

But Pletcher, along with other horsemen, has acknowledged the benefits of Polytrack and other synthetic surfaces for training purposes. "In a perfect world, I guess, I’d like to see the opportunity to train on Polytrack and still race on the traditional dirt surface," Pletcher said.

To that end, Pletcher is one of several trainers who will condition his Kentucky Derby prospects on Polytrack rather than shipping them to Churchill Downs early to allow the horses to get accustomed to that surface.

opinions.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=38469 (http://opinions.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=38469)

JPinMaryland
04-28-2007, 03:46 PM
It seems odd, but a lot of them seem to do it, and many of them say they love the workouts they are getting off the poly. Apparently the work out quality is more important than getting used to the surface.

Like a lot of sports, there is a copy cat sort of effect. No one wants to omit something that a successful trainer does for fear of criticism. At least that is how it is described. Perhaps something like that is going on here. Also with the spacing between starts and the 2 prep angle..