PDA

View Full Version : TOE GRABS ---- Interesting

karlskorner
04-27-2007, 12:45 PM
As Joe T says " 50 percent of the races are out of your control "

From TB Times 4/26/07

Determental effects of toe grabs outlined to commissioners
by Frank Angst.

At times, Bill Casner paused to let the startling statistics connecting toe grabs on the front horsehoes of Throughbreds led to catastrophic injuries.

Casner, who heads the committee on shoeing and hoof care that was formed out of the Welfare and Safety of Racehorse Summit in January, allowed the stats to tell the story during much of his presentation to the Association of Racing Commissioners International on Tuesday in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

According to the committee, the odds of catastrophic injury incresed 1.5 times in horses wearing toe grabs on their front feet. Casner, co-owner of Win-Star Farm, said horses with 4-millimedter toe grabs are 6.5 times as likely to suffer suspensory injuries and seven times as likely to suffer condylar fractures.

When toe grabs are increased to 6 millmiters, those injury rates jump to 15.6 and 17.1.

Those stats came from a 2004 study of horseshoes characteristics. Citing such evedince, in Februatry the Califorina Horse Racing Board banned front toe grabs higher than 4 millimeters. Casner encouraged the regulators to adopt similar rules or ban front toe grabs all together in each of their jurisdictions.

Casner presented slides that documented how front toe grabs adversely effect a horses's stride by failing to allow the foot to slightly slide forward in contact with the track, as is normal to cusion impact. The toe grabs also adversely affect the foot as the horse pushes back off the foot during the stride.

The changes to the stride create added pressure on the bones and tendons in the horse's lower let.

Darrell Haire, of the Jockeys Guild, added that besides catastrophic breakowns, toe grabs also can cause spills when horses clip heels.

"It used to be when horses clip heels, you'd hear the shoes hit and that would usually be it " Haire said, "Now you hardly hear anything and those toe grabs get caught in the other horse's shoe and you have a big spill. It's one of the scariest things than can happen" ( end )

DanG
04-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Karl,

I’ll say again…leaving early is not a good idea…oops…wrong thread! (Just kidding :))

Thanks for the article, very interesting stuff. I sure wish tracks were more vigilant and forthcoming with shoe information in real time.

skate
04-27-2007, 01:35 PM
good point

indicates just how somewhat- inscrutable all other stats become.

except the odds stat.

karlskorner
04-27-2007, 07:51 PM
I said it before and I'll say it again. You got to have your belly up against the Paddock rail to know what the hell is really going on. Like Joe T. says 50 percent of the races are out of your control.

DanG
04-27-2007, 09:03 PM
I said it before and I'll say it again. You got to have your belly up against the Paddock rail to know what the hell is really going on. Like Joe T. says 50 percent of the races are out of your control.
Not entirely true my friend, many players win only watching a monitor.

If 50% of racing were truly out of ones control I would have covered myself in bacon and jumped into the everglades years ago. :eek:

I agree though, if you’re on track and know what to look for it can certainly be a nice edge.

Thanks again for the article. :ThmbUp:

spilparc
04-27-2007, 10:11 PM
I've never heard of a toe-grab. Does anyone have a photo, or better description?

Greyfox
04-27-2007, 10:50 PM
I've never heard of a toe-grab. Does anyone have a photo, or better description?

spilparc - Good Question.
karlscorner - Excellent post. I've played the races a long time and couldn't "shoo" a horse :lol: or shoe a horse if my life depended on it.
If I heard of them, then I don't remember it. Thankyou for asking.
So, by golly I googollyied and I found a picture at
http://www.centaurforge.com/products.asp?dept=23

I tried to look up as to why you would use these anyways.
Then my computer went down. When I came back I couldn't find the site that was offering some reason.
I found a controversy about them though.

http://www.ctba.com/99magazine/jul99/julnews4.htm

Tom
04-28-2007, 10:34 AM
One would think with all the great minds in this game (:lol:) someone could come up with a way to put on fair racing with enforced rules. If there were no betting on races, I would say the game belongs to the owners and trainers, but since WE pay the bills, they should be treated as employees, nothing more.
There needs to be strictly enforced rules concerning all equipment. I remember the
turn down controversy at Aqueduct years ago - the LEADING trainer was caught with illegal bends in the post parade and his attitude was basically - I do whatever it take to win. Screw the bettors. This bum deserved lifetime ban, but he got a slap on the wrist and the purse money. I have never respected NYRA racing since then - IMHO they reward cheaters and are minor league racing.

spilparc
04-28-2007, 01:26 PM
spilparc - Good Question.
karlscorner - Excellent post. I've played the races a long time and couldn't "shoo" a horse :lol: or shoe a horse if my life depended on it.
If I heard of them, then I don't remember it. Thankyou for asking.
So, by golly I googollyied and I found a picture at
http://www.centaurforge.com/products.asp?dept=23

I tried to look up as to why you would use these anyways.
Then my computer went down. When I came back I couldn't find the site that was offering some reason.
I found a controversy about them though.

http://www.ctba.com/99magazine/jul99/julnews4.htm

Thanks for the links. Is there that much difference between a toe grab and a jar calk? I know all about jars. In fact they might even be a form of toe grab, but I have no idea. If they're not, then they are a related cousin according to the pictures I looked at. If that's the case, are jar (mud) calks contributing to the injury of horses as well?