PDA

View Full Version : Raw Fractions

sq764
11-25-2002, 10:38 PM
Being a harness guy, I base my 'edge' on calculating raw fractions.. I was curious if anyone took the time to calculate these fractions for t-breds, and if so, how they went about adjusting for tracks and distances.

With all the differences in distance for t-breds, it must be a distinct advantage to have raw fraction data...

Scott

Tom
11-26-2002, 07:59 PM
Couple of ways.....velocity ratings, TPR ratings, and jsut simple math. Ie, horse runs 3rd fraction at 6 furlongs in 25 flat. How does it compare to a 7 furlong fraction in 37 flat?
25 divided by 4 = 6.25 times 6 = 37.5. It is a better fraction.
What you do is figure out what each half furlong is worth and then turn it into the other distance - in this case, the 6 furlong race has 4 half furlongs and the 7 furlong race has 6.
I don't bother with track-to-track or variants when I look at raw fractions. Try this website for a free booklet on fractions:

http://www.horseracinghandicapper.com/fractions.pdf

sq764
11-26-2002, 10:13 PM
I was just curious for t-breds how you adjust for distances.. For example (a bad one at that).. Let's say a horse goes 6 furlongs in 1:10 flat, which is like 12 seconds per 1/8 of a mile.. If this same horse were in a 1 3/8 mile, you couldn't assume that he will go 12 seconds per 1/8 mile over that kind of distance, so how do you adjust?

BigDumbBob
11-27-2002, 01:54 PM
If you have access to Result Charts you can do what Liften
calls "Instant Variants".
Basically you just look at the fractions in the context of how the other races on the card went.
Brisnet just started making available all Results Charts going back to Feb 2001. (They were always out there if you knew the URL to use.)
You need to be a member (I believe) but many here probably are already.
Here's the link:
<a href="https://www.brisnet.com/secure-bin/brisclub/archives.cgi?type=arc">Archived Charts</a><BR>

BillW
11-27-2002, 04:20 PM
Bob,

Re. Bris charts:

You need to log in to get to the "Chart Archive" access point but the URL access to the charts is still free and doesn't require login.

Bill

Fastracehorse
12-08-2002, 09:13 PM
sq764,

In harness, I like to see if a horse fits in the particular class he is in today.

If he fits, does he have early speed to contend.

If the above 2 apply, does he appear consistent enough to be a reliable bet and most importantly, how is the trainer doing lately.

For ex., At my native track, Northlands Park, trainer/driver Kelly Hoerdt will win the curent meet [ trainer standings ]. He came out the first night ablazing, 3 wins, and never looked back. Why??

I used to be the guy that crunched fractions but for me it is not necessary anymore.

In thoroughbreds, I adjust the Beyer in Daily Racing Form.

I believe the Beyer is the 'most' reliable piece of data available, however, one must learn to adj it to fairly reflect the horse's 'true' performance.

That is, the Beyer doesn't adj for many factors, it is just a more accurate assessment than time or raw fractions.

If U adj your fractions with track condition in mind U are probably doing something similar.

fffastt