PDA

View Full Version : Apple

Valuist
04-26-2007, 07:56 PM
I don't know how many traders are out there, but IMO, this looks like a great candidate to short. The stock has had a long sustained ascent, and had a ridiculous (and IMO undeserved) huge gain the past two days.

The technicians can't like this stock based on its steep run up but I think there's a number of fundamental problems; right now all the hype regarding the I-Phone is priced into the stock. Anything less than absolute stellar performance from the I-Phone and the stock will take a beating. True, the I-Pod was a giant success but I believe it will be much more difficult for the I-Phone to reach those kind of sales.

Both the I-Pod and I-Phone are expensive but there's one huge difference: the I-Pod is a one time purchase while the I-Phone users not only pony up the big purchase price but the steep monthly service fees every month. I don't see nearly as many parents getting these for their kids; Many kids and teenagers already have cell phones; kind of hard to justify paying for an I-Phone.

Lastly, Jobs appears to be in some serious trouble. Back-dating options is a no/no and if its proven he did, he may well find himself in the big house.

Dick Schmidt
04-27-2007, 02:57 AM
Before you rush to short Apple, take a closer look. They just reported an 88% increase in earnings and the investigation of Jobs has been closed (mostly, the Gov't always reserves the right to reopen but it rarely happens). Not saying it won't go down, just be careful.

Dick

bigmack
04-27-2007, 04:18 AM
I was fortunate enough to have an investment advisor steer me on aapl over two years ago and I reluctantly entered. Nothing ever made sence to me with the exception of the Ipod in terms of the growth of the stock and I have little in the way of regret and much in the way of celebration from my interest though question the bust of a hundred. Then again, I ought not to question the psychology of the market as this stock, from what I've been able to tell, has been the most psychologically driven performing stock as I've ever been involved with.

BetHorses!
04-27-2007, 08:55 AM
I don't know how many traders are out there, but IMO, this looks like a great candidate to short. The stock has had a long sustained ascent, and had a ridiculous (and IMO undeserved) huge gain the past two days.

The technicians can't like this stock based on its steep run up but I think there's a number of fundamental problems; right now all the hype regarding the I-Phone is priced into the stock. Anything less than absolute stellar performance from the I-Phone and the stock will take a beating. True, the I-Pod was a giant success but I believe it will be much more difficult for the I-Phone to reach those kind of sales.

Both the I-Pod and I-Phone are expensive but there's one huge difference: the I-Pod is a one time purchase while the I-Phone users not only pony up the big purchase price but the steep monthly service fees every month. I don't see nearly as many parents getting these for their kids; Many kids and teenagers already have cell phones; kind of hard to justify paying for an I-Phone.

Lastly, Jobs appears to be in some serious trouble. Back-dating options is a no/no and if its proven he did, he may well find himself in the big house.

Many people have learned not to bet agst Apple but I agree it looks like a great short. Apple certainly has huge swings. Are you buying Puts?

skate
04-27-2007, 03:00 PM
apple, imo, very good products and they market real well.

along with the globalized economy just blooming , i think a short would be a reach on any large cap.

with the low tax rate (should be lower) and low interest rates, a 15,000/17,000 Dow is within reach. Global is a Baby.
for the most part, its the only way to keep up with the fast pace.

chickenhead
04-27-2007, 03:12 PM
look out skate, the guy who manages your buddy Cheney's money says we're in the midst of a never before seen worldwide bubble.

Jeremy Grantham: All the World's a Bubble (http://biz.yahoo.com/ts/070427/10353243.html?.v=2)

The bursting of this bubble will be across all countries and all assets, with the probable exception of high-grade bonds," Grantham warned. "Since no similar global event has occurred before, the stresses to the system are likely to be unexpected. All of this is likely to depress confidence and lower economic activity."

skate
04-27-2007, 05:38 PM
ok ok , i see that he's been saying this for 'about as long as the-skate has been mouthing Great Market'.

so by now, we've made at least 1/2 our money. and Jeremy is still stuck on Bubbles, ok Jeremy.

this Market (world) has Never been seen before and we are just at the beginning, IMO.

sure, we're gonna have ups and downs. what remains is "what got us here".
gees, the real estate bubble (ha) is about over and the economy is still going up.
sure, others will disagree, and others want to remain on top. and to remain on top , they Short. he's a Shorty. does not make him baD, just short.

i can only guess and be careful (like you said), but what got us here is just starting.

Valuist
04-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Many people have learned not to bet agst Apple but I agree it looks like a great short. Apple certainly has huge swings. Are you buying Puts?

No I'm short at 100.

Others brought up some good points. Maybe I'm wrong regarding the I-Phone but I just don't see the same demand as for the I-Pod. Even if the I-Phone is a success, I think its already priced into the stock.

michiken
04-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Just got word that several HUGE automotive contracts are being let out. They are to the tune of $80 to $100 million. Perhaps the Motor City is making a grasp at clawing its way back.... or it's a desperate ship trying to go down hard.

remember that you can blame me for this untimely info (cough) !

Pace Cap'n
04-28-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm not a stock trader, but if I was looking for something to short, I might consider Chrysler...

Magna leads Chrysler bids

www.wzzm13.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=74572 (http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=74572)

Go, Frank, Go

linrom1
04-28-2007, 12:07 PM
I'm not a stock trader, but if I was looking for something to short, I might consider Chrysler...

Magna leads Chrysler bids

www.wzzm13.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=74572 (http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=74572)

Go, Frank, Go

Chrysler is not an independent company, it has merged into Daimler-Chrysler sometime ago. In my opinion all non Chinese and Indian auto companies are probably shorts. TATA, an Indian Auto maker plans to built a $2,500 car for the Indian market, Renault is already making cars for less than $7,500 in Eastern Europe and Chinese automakers are doing the same thing.

Magna Int'l stock price has been going up, so the market must like the idea.

skate
04-28-2007, 01:05 PM
not that im affraid, off anyone thinking im trying to come of with anything special, but this is just my thinking on the subject.

we really need the inside info , to get the jump, on trades.
But...
for growth and long term, its tough to miss as long as you can stay the coarse.

its best to be attached in some way. if you see Apple with (what you think) is a poor product, lots of attention, poor marketing plus any other negatives. i would say, stay the coarse.

true for the reverse. right now, im (bought) looking at JPM (chase), for growth.
they have been taking the top employees from Europe, they want a Bank , 52 stories, building in NY at the towers.
and im seeing nothing but adds, adds, and more adds.

from my point of view (aint much) this is what i'll keep looking for.
somebody up there (JPM) is wanting to go forward. it is one of our (USA) most secure assets for many reasons, foreigners trust the USA with their money.

Sure, we'll have ups and downs, and they hurt, but the market (DOW) has never gone down.

DJofSD
04-28-2007, 01:15 PM
we really need the inside info , to get the jump, on trades.

What?

If you have it, you can't trade on it.

skate
04-28-2007, 01:31 PM
What?

If you have it, you can't trade on it.

Really...

linrom1
04-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Really...

:lol: :lol: , like there are no options that go ballistic a day before big news is announced, or stocks that go parabolic before they release the news. :D

Even Jim Cramer says that we have no SEC.

DJofSD
04-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Even Jim Cramer says that we have no SEC.

Yup, SEC REG Sho is abused and nothing every happens about it or to the brokers that are robbing shareholders blind. Sanctioned theft.

There's not any anti-trust division either.

skate
04-29-2007, 05:23 PM
that must be the reason "they" keep putting money "here".

kindda like , burying money, then hopfully you can forget where you put "it".:bang:

Boats
04-30-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm buying after seening this video on their new product.

http://www.glumbert.com/media/irack

BetHorses!
05-10-2007, 08:19 AM
No I'm short at 100.

Others brought up some good points. Maybe I'm wrong regarding the I-Phone but I just don't see the same demand as for the I-Pod. Even if the I-Phone is a success, I think its already priced into the stock.

Still Short? I am Looking at Puts...June 100's @ 1.15