PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft--April 28th

melman
04-24-2007, 10:44 AM
OK, your the guy with the final say for the Oakland Raiders. What do you do trade down or use the pick? As for me I would take Calvin Johnson WR from GTech. This guy will be a Pro Bowl player for years and years. What a great talent he has it all size, speed, toughness, and "hands". What a weapon on plays down near the end zone with the "jump ball" pass. Johnson is 6 feet 5 inches to start and he jumps like an NBA superstar. What do others think??

philsfan07
04-24-2007, 11:00 AM
OK, your the guy with the final say for the Oakland Raiders. What do you do trade down or use the pick? As for me I would take Calvin Johnson WR from GTech. This guy will be a Pro Bowl player for years and years. What a great talent he has it all size, speed, toughness, and "hands". What a weapon on plays down near the end zone with the "jump ball" pass. Johnson is 6 feet 5 inches to start and he jumps like an NBA superstar. What do others think??

the problem is you need a quarterback that can get him the ball..

Detroit has a slew of top receivers but they suck every year b/c the talent of the receivers is nullified by the incompetence of the quarterback

melman
04-24-2007, 11:16 AM
So what would you do Philsfan07??? Trade down, take Quinn or Russell just exactly what?

GaryG
04-24-2007, 11:16 AM
Johnson was tremendous at GA Tech despite having a QB that was mediocre at best. I don't think the pot thing will hurt him. I like him a lot better than either of those two QBs. I think they could still get a QB either by trade or later in the draft.

philsfan07
04-24-2007, 11:30 AM
So what would you do Philsfan07??? Trade down, take Quinn or Russell just exactly what?

Personally I would trade down. 1 player, albeight a potentially great one, is not going to turn that team around. They need to build, so if they could get multiple 1st round picks, that might help them out more than 1 big receiver.

I know it would be tough to pass on such an incredible talent, but it's the difference between taking the best guy or thinking longterm.

I am not sold on Russell. He had a breakout season, but there are a lot of question marks with the guy. How many highly touted QBs end up a total bust?

If you were dead set on keeping the pick, I would have to choose Johnson. He's big, great hands, blazing speed and apparently a very intelligent human being (sounds like Randy Moss with a brain)

OTM Al
04-24-2007, 03:01 PM
The NFL management are geniuses. The season has been over for 2 months, but not a week has gone by where people aren't still talking NFL. This Mel Kiper guy totally freaks me out and he gets paid for telling teams what to do since they can't figure it out on their own. People go and tailgate and have parties for the draft. I would expect that this NFL channel will be showing scrimmages at spring practices soon. Wow......

boomman
04-24-2007, 06:37 PM
The NFL management are geniuses. The season has been over for 2 months, but not a week has gone by where people aren't still talking NFL. This Mel Kiper guy totally freaks me out and he gets paid for telling teams what to do since they can't figure it out on their own. People go and tailgate and have parties for the draft. I would expect that this NFL channel will be showing scrimmages at spring practices soon. Wow......

Horse racing could clearly learn something from The NFL when it comes to marketing. I agree that they are geniuses when it comes to keeping their product in the mainstream and constantly drawing the public's attention to their game. The best Mel Kiper line I heard was a few years ago when I believe it was Bill Pollian (A GM) who was told by a reporter which player Mel Kiper had projected that he would draft and he replied: "WHO THE HELL IS MEL KIPER?" LOL:D

Boomer

kenwoodallpromos
04-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Then most important person on a team is the one who touches the ball first- the center.

rastajenk
04-25-2007, 08:34 AM
JaMarcus Russell reminds me of Akili Smith. Coming from a Bengals' fan, that's, uh, not exactly high praise.

philsfan07
04-25-2007, 09:25 AM
JaMarcus Russell reminds me of Akili Smith. Coming from a Bengals' fan, that's, uh, not exactly high praise.

I think he's another in the long line of guys who performed well in the right place at the right time.

Troy Smith performed horribly at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I am always weary about college QB's who aren't pure passers. Just not the same in the NFL.

I'd feel much safer with johnson.

JPinMaryland
04-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Speaking of quarterblacks, Brady Quinn stock sure is falling like a stone, huh? BOy Kiper had him listed as the no. 1 pick a few months ago, dont know where he had him recently. I dont see how Quinn can be a superstar QB it doesnt look like he has the arm or the consistency. This is not to bash Kiper who knows more about the draft than possbily anyone, but really about how much bullshit goes on leading up to the draft. And even people like Kiper are apparently not immune to it.

What is Mel saying now on Quinn? Second round? Good pick for second round,..