BeatTheChalk
04-24-2007, 12:51 AM
:bang: Anyone else feel it ? Even the trainers have been pretty quiet
so far. Or maybe I just don't hang out in the right places. :lol:

gIracing
04-24-2007, 02:49 AM

I think the Hard Spun connections have the cat that ate the canary look on their faces... I don't like what I am hearing from the O'neil clan

the media usually gets into full derby mode next monday... this is the NFL's week with the draft

Richie
04-24-2007, 08:51 AM
"I think the Hard Spun connections have the cat that ate the canary look on their faces"

What makes you say that?

OTM Al
04-24-2007, 08:52 AM
No Zito, no Lucas. That removes about 90% of quotable material right there

JustRalph
04-24-2007, 12:23 PM
:bang: Anyone else feel it ? Even the trainers have been pretty quiet so far.

Todd Pletcher had some interesting things to say on "at the races" yesterday. He actually sounded like he was mortal.

SMOO
04-24-2007, 02:42 PM
Todd Pletcher had some interesting things to say on "at the races" yesterday. He actually sounded like he was mortal.

Mortal as in "I can't get away with using the juice"? :lol:

gIracing
04-24-2007, 06:31 PM
No Zito, no Lucas. That removes about 90% of quotable material right there

well put. The way Zito handled himself durning the (05?) Derby when he had 5 horses, I hated him ever since. First of all, 2 of them shoudn't even have had the nerve to attempt to sleep in the stalls at churhill.. had no reason to be in the race (I can't think of their names.... hence my point)... One of them is something Hero.

I knew sun king wasn't going to win, but at the same time I couldn't talk you off of him. did enough to be there

Bellamy Road should have been there

Noble Causeway should have been there on pedigree alone, but when you add them all up, he really only had 1 derby horse.. Bellamy Road.. I will never forget the shot of him when he lost...

I don't see why Frankel doesn't get more derby horses. I love the way he handles his horses, if Frankel has a horse in the derby, it's a derby horse.

This year, O'Neil is sending at least 2 horses that don't belong in the derby. WTF has Liquidty or Colbalt Blue done to deserve to be in the derby? I could even understand 2 years ago because the horse's running style, but you have two horses that have proven they CAN'T get the distance, yet you still have them on the derby trail

No one trumps lukas however. He is in a clas sof his own. I never felt as bad as I did for a horse than Going wild. If I am not mistaken he was the 2nd fav behind Bellamy Road in the wood. something went amiss, he either didn't finish the race or just said "screw it" and quit. 4 weeks later, he is in the Derby at like 70 to one. Didn't come close. Instead of pulling the horse off the trail, keeps going, I think he was either in all three, I know he was in one more...

he might have raced after that but I haven't heard from him since. It wasn't the case where the owners of the horse were anxious to get to the derby.. his oweners were bob and beverly lewis.. the've been there. Some trainers act like it's manifest destiny to get to the derby EVERY year

Edward DeVere
04-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Cobalt Blue is going to the Derby for two reasons:

1) Merv Griffin is 81 years old.

2) Giacomo won at 50-1.

jjm323
04-24-2007, 10:19 PM
well put. The way Zito handled himself durning the (05?) Derby when he had 5 horses, I hated him ever since. First of all, 2 of them shoudn't even have had the nerve to attempt to sleep in the stalls at churhill.. had no reason to be in the race (I can't think of their names.... hence my point)... One of them is something Hero.

Andromeda's Hero finished 8th in the Derby just behind Bellamy Road and then finished 2nd in the Belmont behind Afleet Alex.

High Fly is the horse you forgot. He inherited the lead from speedball Spanish Chestnut and then spit the bit at the top of the stretch. He was Bailey's last Derby ride.

Going Wild raced as a 4 year old. I saw him at Saratoga last summer finish a good second to Silver Wagon.

Cratos
04-24-2007, 10:52 PM

You might be right about there not being a “Cinderella” amongst this year’s Derby crop, but if Curlin proves to be the “freak” that he appears to be, not only will there be a “Cinderella,” it might be another Smarty Jones year news-wise.

gIracing
04-24-2007, 11:29 PM
A good second in the Belmont? I remember him in the belmont, at the time I think he was the only Zito horse left. There is no such thing is a good second if you get waxed by more than 5 lengths.... Afleet Alex won for fun that day, drawing off. But he did get a nice paycheck, i'll give you that much.

I didn't think he never raced again, I just hadn't heard anything from him. With that said, what ever happened to Closing Arugement?

like look at King of the Roxy this year. Has EVERY right to BE IN the Kentucky Derby, and would not be that big of a longshot, but the connections know that the derby is a race he has proven he can't get... he couldn't get a mile and 1/8th, what makes you think he is going to get a mile and a quarter? Point him to a race he can win, which is the Preakness, which is about the farthest he will go, and they are pointing him towards that race.

I never have a problem with a DEEP closer being in the Derby, because it's a LONG race.. you get a speed duel and anything can happen.

jjm323
04-25-2007, 07:15 AM
Andromeda's Hero raced a lot last year in Graded Stakes. I know he raced in the Woodward, and remember seeing him several times. I think he actually picked up a check in the Suburban and was one of the unlucky behind Bernadini in the JCGC.

Closing Argument never raced again.

Tom
04-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Not excited about the Derby this year.....looks like a poor crop and not a lot of betting opportunities. The rest of the card is far more interesting to me.
I'll enjoy a hot dog during the Derby....

the Bid
04-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Andromeda's Hero finished 8th in the Derby just behind Bellamy Road and then finished 2nd in the Belmont behind Afleet Alex.

High Fly is the horse you forgot. He inherited the lead from speedball Spanish Chestnut and then spit the bit at the top of the stretch. He was Bailey's last Derby ride.

Going Wild raced as a 4 year old. I saw him at Saratoga last summer finish a good second to Silver Wagon.

Going Wild was Lukas, not Zito. High Fly won The Fla Derby and one of the other GP preps so the idea that he "didn't belong" is insane. It only makes sense in hindsight.

The 5 were Bellamy Road, Andromeda's Hero, Noble Causeway, High Fly and Sun King.

jjm323
04-25-2007, 01:28 PM
I never suggested that Going Wild was Zito's. I was responding to the original poster who wondered if he ever ran again after the Preakness.

gIracing
04-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Going Wild was Lukas, not Zito. High Fly won The Fla Derby and one of the other GP preps so the idea that he "didn't belong" is insane. It only makes sense in hindsight.

The 5 were Bellamy Road, Andromeda's Hero, Noble Causeway, High Fly and Sun King.

YOU ARE IMPLYING THAT I SAID THAT BECUASE I DIDN'T REMEMBER WHO HE WAS, HE DIDN'T DESERVE TO BE IN THE DERBY.

NO, i just didn't remember his name. The three horses I were referring two were Bellamy Road (won the wood), High Fly(won the florida derby) and Sun King (won the louisiana derby). I wasnt all that impressed with Noble Causeway