PDA

View Full Version : Polytrack Question

Topcat
04-20-2007, 06:17 PM
My niece is an collegiate runner and she was talking
about the different track surfaces they run on and how some collegiate tracks are synthetic and much easier on the knees and legs and said that they are almost bouncy.

My question is Are these surfaces the same as the equine polytrack?

Anyone know?

bobphilo
04-20-2007, 07:14 PM
My niece is an collegiate runner and she was talking
about the different track surfaces they run on and how some collegiate tracks are synthetic and much easier on the knees and legs and said that they are almost bouncy.

My question is Are these surfaces the same as the equine polytrack?

Anyone know?

The main similarity is that they both contain rubber components. The rubber is what gives both their shock absorbing and energy return properties. When I ran track in college I really appreciated the difference when they switched to the new synthetic tracks from cinder - much the same as how the trainers say their horses love running on synthetic tracks.

Bob

robert99
04-20-2007, 07:25 PM
TC,

Human synthetic running tracks are often made from a composite of bound rubber granuals (half inch thickness) over 2 inches of asphalt over compacted gravel. Nike use rubber reclaimed from their running shoes as Nike Grind, for example. Omnova is another system.
That reduces injury and can achieve fast times if the track stiffness is "tuned" 2-4 times the stiffness of human leg systems.

Polytrack is mostly sand with wax binders, fibres and rubber granuals, flocculated together into small clumps. Humans would find it more like running in a sand pit.