PDA

View Full Version : When Bonds breaks the record

philsfan07
04-20-2007, 12:29 PM
This going to be the single biggest farce in sports history.. The most hallowed record in baseball being broken by the biggest cheating POS the game may have ever seen.

I blame MLB for letting it get this far and because they did, it's going to be a PR nghtmare. You cannot completely ignore it, but you cannot celebrate it either..

Going to be an odd event

boomman
04-20-2007, 12:38 PM
Hank Aaron has already stated publicly that he has not interest in attending when Bonds' breaks his record. Since Aaron has always demonstrated that he is a man of character, that shun says it all!

Boomer

GaryG
04-20-2007, 12:52 PM
I just wish the feds would nail the bastard. Anderson was still in prison the last I heard. You can bet he's getting paid off to keep quiet.

OTM Al
04-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Very interesting bit on ESPN radio this afternoon when some sportscaster calling in made the poit that there may be a way around this that would center on Alex Rodriguez. If Alex could keep popping them out and challenge Bonds' single season record, or even the "non-steroid era" 61 for that matter, he might be able to deflect enough national attention away from Bonds that it won't have to be the centerpiece of the year. It will also make it pretty clear that if this guy stays healthy, which he has during his career thus far, he will crush whatever career record Bonds sets anyway. He's only 31 and he'll be past 500 this year most likely. They were joking that A-Rod could be the savior of baseball this year. Guess that beats the boos.

philsfan07
04-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Very interesting bit on ESPN radio this afternoon when some sportscaster calling in made the poit that there may be a way around this that would center on Alex Rodriguez. If Alex could keep popping them out and challenge Bonds' single season record, or even the "non-steroid era" 61 for that matter, he might be able to deflect enough national attention away from Bonds that it won't have to be the centerpiece of the year. It will also make it pretty clear that if this guy stays healthy, which he has during his career thus far, he will crush whatever career record Bonds sets anyway. He's only 31 and he'll be past 500 this year most likely. They were joking that A-Rod could be the savior of baseball this year. Guess that beats the boos.

But A-roid is not exactly a 'media darling' either. No one is hated more than bonds in the majors, but A-roid is probably top 10. He just never knows when to shut his mouth - whether it's about Jeter or how he works harder than everyone else (while they are on the couch in their pajamas, as he put it), or just generally having diarhea of the mouth..

Everyone embraced Mcgwire and Sosa, they were media darlings, they pretty much rejuvinated baseball.. There is no way fans would embrace A-roid or Bonds or anyone who's so arrogant, impersonal and mouthy.

JustRalph
04-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Everyone embraced Mcgwire and Sosa, they were media darlings, they pretty much rejuvinated baseball.. There is no way fans would embrace A-roid or Bonds or anyone who's so arrogant, impersonal and mouthy.

I don't think you give A-Rod enough credit. I think he could become whatever he wants to be. He is smart..........

philsfan07
04-20-2007, 10:19 PM
I don't think you give A-Rod enough credit. I think he could become whatever he wants to be. He is smart..........

It;s not up tot he player, it's up to the public opinion.. And he cannot stop saying stupid stuff everytime a mic is in his face..

kenwoodallpromos
04-20-2007, 11:48 PM
This going to be the single biggest farce in sports history.. The most hallowed record in baseball being broken by the biggest cheating POS the game may have ever seen.

I blame MLB for letting it get this far and because they did, it's going to be a PR nghtmare. You cannot completely ignore it, but you cannot celebrate it either..

Going to be an odd event

kenwoodallpromos
04-21-2007, 12:06 AM

Going to be an odd event

So you are PO'ed over RUMORS about Bonds? What a joke!!

philsfan07
04-21-2007, 12:45 PM

So you are PO'ed over RUMORS about Bonds? What a joke!!

Um, yeah RUMORS..

Answer me yes or no - do you believe Bonds has taken steroids? Simple yes or no..

JustRalph
04-21-2007, 02:21 PM
I read somewhere that Bonds hat size has gone up 1/2 size since he joined the Giants.............how the hell does that happen?

BillW
04-21-2007, 02:29 PM
I read somewhere that Bonds hat size has gone up 1/2 size since he joined the Giants.............how the hell does that happen?
ego :lol:

kenwoodallpromos
04-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Um, yeah RUMORS..

Answer me yes or no - do you believe Bonds has taken steroids? Simple yes or no..

MLB steroid suspensions: Date Player Team
Nov. 2 Matt Lawton, OF Yankees
Oct. 18 Felix Heredia, LHP Mets
Oct. 4 Carlos Almanzar, RHP Rangers
Sept. 7 Michael Morse, SS Mariners
Aug. 2 Ryan Franklin, P Mariners
Aug. 1 Rafael Palmiero, 1B Orioles
July 8 Rafael Betancourt, P Indians
May 2 Juan Rincon, P Twins
April 26 Jamal Strong, OF Mariners
April 20 Agustin Montero, P Rangers
April 11 Jorge Piedra, OF Rockies
April 4 Alex Sanchez, OF Devil Rays

Why don't you save some of that anger for the American League, Northeast and non-California cities?

JustRalph
04-21-2007, 02:51 PM
ego :lol:

:lol: :lol:

philsfan07
04-21-2007, 03:09 PM

headsize up 1/2, testicles down 1/2

Purely coincidence

philsfan07
04-21-2007, 03:12 PM

Why don't you save some of that anger for the American League, Northeast and non-California cities?

Well, in 20 years, is anyone going to remember Matt Lawton or Franklin or Rincon? seriously?? Even Palmeiro..

Bonds is going to break the most hallowed record in all of sports.. And it totally disgusts 99.9% of the population that follows baseball.

Let me ask you, do you think Mcgwire and Sosa took steroids?

kenwoodallpromos
04-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Well, in 20 years, is anyone going to remember Matt Lawton or Franklin or Rincon? seriously?? Even Palmeiro..

Bonds is going to break the most hallowed record in all of sports.. And it totally disgusts 99.9% of the population that follows baseball.

Let me ask you, do you think Mcgwire and Sosa took steroids?
Sosa who? Mr. corked bat? Reality and proof matter not to 99.9%; they just like jerks who smile big and say "baseball has been good to me" and let them get caught cheating!
McGwire already admitted what he used and it was legal.

kenwoodallpromos
04-21-2007, 03:34 PM
http://www.baseballssteroidera.com/
Remember Clemens rumors?
No, few on any real or suspected lists will be remembered as long as Bonds- but few players had as small a strikeout ratio either.
The subject of this thread is biggest farces in sports history- no, IMO Bonds is not the biggest. So here are some of mine-
Allowing NBA players to hang onto the rim;
Lntentionally injuring another player;
An All-star tie game;
NBA playoffs for 8th place teams;
In horseracing, not requiring transfer of horse medical records upon a claim.
Honoring a baseball player who refused to play for the Giants after a trade.

philsfan07
04-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Remember Clemens rumors?
No, few on any real or suspected lists will be remembered as long as Bonds- but few players had as small a strikeout ratio either.
The subject of this thread is biggest farces in sports history- no, IMO Bonds is not the biggest. So here are some of mine-
An All-star tie game;

By referencing those other 'farces', I don't think you have any idea of the significance of the MLB homerun record.

philsfan07
04-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Remember Clemens rumors?
An All-star tie game;

And if we are talking sports farces, how about Sean Merriman testing positive for steroids, then playing in the probowl

BIG RED
04-21-2007, 06:26 PM
The first year Sammy played that I seen, was against the Red Sox. A pencil he was. Bonds, same thing.

Both guilty in my, which means nudda, opinion

OTM Al
04-21-2007, 09:09 PM
Got to say though, Bonds was a legit player from day one. He was borderline HOF without the help. You can't say the same about Sosa.

kenwoodallpromos
04-21-2007, 10:13 PM
By referencing those other 'farces', I don't think you have any idea of the significance of the MLB homerun record.
I understand the significance- in 1952 and 3 Aaron was hitting home runs while Mays was drafted two years and had to go to the Korean war!

kenwoodallpromos
04-21-2007, 10:16 PM
I understand the significance- in 1952 and 3 Aaron was hitting home runs while Mays was drafted two years and had to go to the Korean war!
My list involves the whole of those sports, not just 1 team, including the recent honoring of the old Dodger.
Many teams have long been jealous of the Giants' recoeds, finishes, and HOF members. Now the other teams have to look silly walking Bonds!

ceejay
08-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Bumping this now that the record will fall very soon....

The blame here goes to mlb and mlbpa for their blissful ignorance. (Like any other sport we know???) For Bond's "growth spurt" were steroids even against the rules?

Did Bonds juice up? I think almost certainly yes. And if he didn't know he was he should have known.
Did he break the rules? Maybe not the letter but probably the intent.
Did he hit all those homers? Hell yes.
Is he the best slugger of all time? Hell no!

PaceAdvantage
08-06-2007, 06:39 PM
It's a damn shame because BB didn't need the juice. He'll never get all the recognition and praise he may have RIGHTLY deserved....it's his own fault though...

PaceAdvantage
08-06-2007, 06:41 PM
I have a question. Bonds is still huge. Has he been tested in the last few years? I haven't really followed his story, but I have to assume he has....

How has "the biggest POS cheater ever," according to the thread starter, been getting away with something that appears so obvious to so many?

toetoe
08-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Philz,

All respect, but you are SO far out of line, you need a taxi to regain your place. Does he get extra credit for hitting his latest dinger off a juicer ? That's almost impossible, isn't it ? :confused:

OTM Al
08-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Everyone is tested for steroids, but they don't have tests for HGH or that stuff they give old people who have had broken bones, which is now the drug of choice. Frankly I don't care though. He didn't break any of baseball's rules back then, nor did McGuire or Sosa. You can call that baseball's fault if you want, but as I've argued before, there is a longstanding tradition of "cheating" in baseball. People hammer Bonds now for it not so much because he did it but because he's been cast as such a bad guy, much of which is his fault. Just wait in about 6-7 years and see what kind of crap the press will be heaping on Alex Rodriguez when he gets close. Trust me. They will. BTW its not taking steriods Bonds could be indicted for, its lying to Congress.....

I hope he hits it early as I won't be able to stay up for the whole game.

Oh, and ceejay is right. He's not the greatest slugger ever. Greatest I ever saw was Bo Jackson. Wish he'd never played football. Sometimes I wonder how the ball stayed in one piece when he hit that thing.

njcurveball
08-07-2007, 01:04 AM
Well for the haters, they will always be right. So for the non haters, baseball IS testing and suspending violators these days.

Bonds is clean and Balco is on trial. He has not tested positive since they put the policy in place. You cannot say a man broke the law when there was no law.

This year he is leading MLB in On Base Percentage and has 21 home runs in 261 games. He plays in the worst division for hitting home runs in baseball. Colorado is not even a home run park most days.

AND if you want to know who is leading the NL West in home runs, look for #25 with the Giants logo on his shirt. All this at the age of 43!

He has earned the respect of baseball fans everywhere and is deserving of holding the home run record for the next 5 or 6 years till Arod goes by him and is accused of whatever is in vogue at that time.

I really don't like the Giants and I really don't like Bonds. But he has earned my respect and admiration as a baseball fan.

Obviously he has earned the respect of other teams since he has over 100 walks and it is only the beginning the August.

PA fans are equivalent to Philly Sports Fans and will boo Pat Burrell the at bat AFTER he hits the go ahead home run and pelt Santa Claus with snowballs.

njcurveball
08-07-2007, 01:07 AM
Oh, and ceejay is right. He's not the greatest slugger ever. Greatest I ever saw was Bo Jackson.

Amazing board here at PA. Perhaps you can all write 10 times. Bo Jackson did not do steroids. Bo Jackson did not do steroids. :lol:

PaceAdvantage
08-07-2007, 02:21 AM
I really don't like the Giants and I really don't like Bonds. But he has earned my respect and admiration as a baseball fan.

I was watching a video look back at Bonds the other day, and he hit his first 400 homers while relatively "skinny." I think it's a bit of BS to totally discount this man's accomplishments. For the commissioner of baseball to show up at #755 and not even applaud is baloney.

Pace Cap'n
08-07-2007, 06:25 AM
This year he is leading MLB in On Base Percentage and has 21 home runs in 261 games.

So that's his secret...

njcurveball
08-07-2007, 09:49 AM
So that's his secret...

Thank you for pointing out my typo. I was typing one handed with the syringe in my butt, so there is no way you will accept my apology. :lol:

I hope PA doesn't put an asterisk next to my number of posts now that I am suspected of being on the juice. :rolleyes:

chickenhead
08-07-2007, 10:13 AM
Got to say though, Bonds was a legit player from day one. He was borderline HOF without the help. You can't say the same about Sosa.

He was a first ballot HOF from the beginning. Can't forget he won 3 MVP awards before 1993 (tying the record for most ever) when he weighed about 180. Think about that, he tied the record for most MVP awards nearly 15 years ago. He would have been the first 500/500 member either way. 9 time golden glove before the juice.

He won his MVP in 1993, and then goes on a 7 year drought, watching guys like Ken Caminiti and Sosa win them in the NL, copies them, and then wins 4 more. Yeah I think you can blame baseball.

kenwoodallpromos
08-07-2007, 12:53 PM
How many of his steals are they blaming on steroids?

toetoe
08-09-2007, 02:22 PM
njcurve,

I'll forgive you if you go see my daughter at Arthur's Tavern in Hoboken, and report back to me. Now, go baby go.

njcurveball
08-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Arthur's Tavern in Hoboken?

Is she on the juice? :lol:

toetoe
08-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Not quite, but some of her best friends ARE Juice. :cool: