PDA

View Full Version : New Coke

Tom
04-20-2007, 07:35 AM
Sommeone wondered if Vista will go the way of new coke.
DELL is already offering a choice - Vista of XP.
I see this spreading.......

JustRalph
04-20-2007, 10:04 AM
That is great........... but I still don't buy Dell anymore.

Tom
04-20-2007, 10:21 AM
I think others will follow becasue Vista is not ready for mass marketing yet. How can MS put out a product that will not work with so many other products?
Oh, yeah, I answered my own ??? - because they are MS!

bigmack
04-20-2007, 11:49 AM
That is great........... but I still don't buy Dell anymore.
Hows come? I bought a pile of them for a biz.

JustRalph
04-20-2007, 01:00 PM
First off, the Support moving to India was a watershed moment for me. But I still bought a couple for the business I was running at the time. Both units died in less than three months. Of course they came out and put new m/b's in. It only took two days. Not bad service really. But then the power supplies died. two power supplies and 6 mths later, things seemed ok. My business put in a 400 dollar line conditioning unit to make sure we weren't killing the machines with a power problem. I had the electric company come out and check everything too.

The final straw was when a power supply went out again on my main office machine and they told me it was "one day out of warranty" after they had replaced it twice before. It was the third power supply in 366 days. They told me to get bent.

So I go shopping for a power supply at the local shop (it really is an easy job, no big deal) that is when I realize that Dell has designed their own power supplies. Nobody carries one that will fit in the case I have (it won't bolt up, they moved the screws) so I call Dell back and ask where to get one. Of course after the "Who speaks english" dance I am finally told that I "have to buy from them, it is a special power supply" of course it also costs 90 bucks. So, I get out the drill and a pair of tin snips and buy a local power supply and in about half an hour I have new power supply for 35 bucks. When I left my job six months ago,,,,,,,,it was still going strong.

If this isn't enough.........try this thread.........

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25616&highlight=dell

you can also read the more detailed version of my power supply problem in that thread

bigmack
04-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Well that was an eye opening thread. Mr Schwartz gets the shaft with 42's and paid for 72's and they don't fess up? I'm gonna have to have somebody run a system check on each one of these and verify the contents? I can't believe as informed of a guy as I am that I missed this. Thanks for heads up.

Tom
04-20-2007, 03:18 PM
You could see if Hapu will check them for you.
He has lots of time on his hands at the Quickie Mart in Springfiled!

D'oh!

:rolleyes:

Pace Cap'n
04-20-2007, 05:36 PM
Can't cite the source, but I read that Dell could only sell the XP's until the end of the year, at which time M$ drops the hammer on them.

bigmack
04-20-2007, 06:21 PM
Well 3 of 15 only had 1 gig of ram and were ordered with 2. They've credited my account.

Wasn't a total loss, I took T's advice and after having them checked out I enjoyed a refreshing Slurpie.

robert99
04-20-2007, 07:37 PM
To say a good word about Dell they will soon supply laptops with Linux rather than MS. All the old driver issues that put people off Linux will be pre-sorted by Dell and that to me is the future rather than Vista , then Vienna then the Cuckoo's Nest.

GaryG
04-20-2007, 08:07 PM
The final straw was when a power supply went out again on my main office machine and they told me it was "one day out of warranty" after they had replaced it twice before. It was the third power supply in 366 days. They told me to get bent. Getting told to get bent by Apu from Bangalore must have been kind of strange...