PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the DRF is for sale....again....

PaceAdvantage
04-20-2007, 12:00 AM
Press release Thursday:

The Wicks Group of Companies, L.L.C. Retains Credit Suisse
to Explore Strategic Alternatives for Daily Racing Form LLC

NEW YORK, NY (April 19, 2007)–The Wicks Group of Companies, L.L.C. (the "Wicks Group") today announced that Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC has been retained as its financial advisor to assist in exploring strategic alternatives for Daily Racing Form LLC (the "Company"), including a possible sale. The Company is a national, multi-media information company dedicated to providing premium data driven content and in-depth, authoritative editorial coverage to horse racing enthusiasts across North America.

"The Company enjoys an enviable market position, strong brand recognition and an attractive growth profile. Given the demand for information assets with these characteristics, we have decided to explore our alternatives," said Craig Klosk, Managing Partner of the Wicks Group.

The Company's print publication, Daily Racing Form, is currently the only national daily print publication dedicated to the coverage of a single major sport. Published since 1894, Daily Racing Form is the premier media brand in horse racing and enjoys a loyal following from its readers, many of whom consider it the "Bible" of the industry. Daily Racing Form is complemented by DRF.com, which offers data analytics and expanded content, and supplemental publishing products serving various sub-segments of the thoroughbred racing industry. More information on the Company is available at www.drf.com (http://www.drf.com/).

Head2Head Sports has been recognized as an industry pioneer in creating the fast-growing fantasy sports market when they started their company in 1994. Head2Head provides highly engaging fantasy contests on their website (www.head2head.com) and via co-branded and private-label marketing relationships. In 2006, Head2Head was awarded industry recognition by the Fantasy Sports Trade Association for their online salary cap games and live, on-location contests. According to the FSTA, fantasy games attract over 15 million players a year and have an economic impact of about $1.5 billion.

"Since the Wicks Group formed Sports Enthusiast Media, we've quickly grown the portfolio to include some of the most recognizable brands in the sports enthusiast category," said Daniel L. Black, Partner at The Wicks Group of Companies (http://www.wicksgroup.com/). "SEM is now a diversified multi-platform sports enthusiast information company. The new companies are a strong addition to our portfolio and will be the key growth drivers of our sporting group going forward."

About The Wicks Group
The Wicks Group of Companies, L.L.C. (www.wicksgroup.com (http://www.wicksgroup.com/)) manages private equity funds that invest in selected segments of the communications, information and media industries. Such funds currently own or have owned companies in educational publishing, consumer publishing, medical information services, community newspapers, radio broadcasting, television broadcasting, magazine publishing, outdoor advertising, newsletter publishing, and cable television distribution.

mhrussell
04-20-2007, 02:11 AM
Tom and I bid $5.50 each to take it over... :lol:

andicap
04-20-2007, 03:43 AM
Tom and I bid $5.50 each to take it over... :lol:

Yeah, that includes all its debts! :)

Some random thoughts from a publishing veteran:

Not all that surprising considering VCs like Wicks are built to buy companies cheap, build value quickly and then flip them -- just like the prior owner, Alpine Capital did. Wonder if Wicks will make any money on the sale.

As we all know print publications are going down the tubes -- even the Wall Street Journal is hurting. DRF has made a valiant attempt to become much more Web-based and I'd love to see the books to learn how the Internet strategy is taking.

Printing and distributing PPs is so expensive I wouldn't be surprised one day to see the DRF try to cut distribution costs by selling papers just at the tracks and simulcast centers, and eliminate newsstands. All the enhancements are going online, like the Moss pace figs.

Relatedly, I can definitely see the print version of Simulcast Weekly going away in the next year.

Newsprint ain't getting any cheaper; either is gas in the trucks to deliver the papers.

Potential buyers? If the web strategy is taking hold, how about a company like Churchill Downs that can use the DRF to help promote its twinspires.com and other tracks. Maybe the DRF acts as a break-even vehicle to build CDI's Interest interests. Would Magna take a shot? How about another Magna-CDI joint venture? Imagine the DRF in the hands of a competitor to TVG or NYRA. Here's a good way to steer bettors to TrackNet outlets: Emphasize coverage of those tracks in the DRF at the expense of others that are exclusive to TVG. Still print all the PPs but shove NYRA to the back. Or put the TrackNet outlets in all of the editions but not tracks it doesn't take or receives a lower fee.

Doubt You Bet has the cash to do the deal but maybe with a partner?

I'm also curious as to how the non-racing stuff is doing. Maybe some publisher turns DRF into a all encompassing racing-sports betting vehicle considering the high cross-over between those who bet on horse racing and on sports or even poker.

JustRalph
04-20-2007, 10:09 AM
I give a hundred to take it over and shut it down........... :lol:

takeout
04-23-2007, 01:45 AM
Sure would be nice if some DRF owner would finally get their trainer names in agreement with those at Equibase. Just saw one recently with the same last name but totally different first names. Also a lot of name changes (via marriage, divorce or whatever) seem to go completely unnoticed at DRF.

camzrazr
04-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Drf is part/parcel of a trend toward absolutely awful copy, newspapers in general, sports in specific.

Typical story goes like this: Rocket Shoes, unraced since last June, overtook Laminate in the stretch. Rocket Shoes went on to a three length victory.
Rocket Shoes was ridden by Smith and trained by Dale. Rocket Shoes is owned by Skaters, Ltd. Rocket Shoes paid $6.80 for the win. Rocket Shoes is expected to try stakes company in his next outing.

The unrelenting naming of the subject, absent perfectly acceptable and simple synonyms (the horse), and pronouns. Lamest copy in the world of games, day after day. Not a copy editor on the beat, I'll bet.

And, how many are awestruck that twinspires is late with its announcement
to begin business? (Announced in March that details would be forthcoming in mid-April). At least CDSN has the dates for all meets at its tracks on its home page....MOSTLY FOR 2006, CALDER and FAIRGROUNDS back to 2005!
Is this any way to run an airline? (That's cdsn.net).

TurfRuler
04-26-2007, 01:07 PM
From Crime Magazine. Some may find these pieces interesting as I did when I read them years ago.

Part I
The History of the Race Wire Service by Allan May: Part One:

Mont Tennes and the Birth of the Race Wire. Virtually everyone who has ever been to a race track has used the Daily Racing Form, a newspaper that provides comprehensive information on horse races at tracks around the country. In this first of a three-part series, Allan May tells the rich, mob-filled history of that small newspaper - so vital to gamblers across the nation.
After an investigation of mobster Mont Tennes, the Illinois Crime Survey Commission reported, "If the complete life history of Mont Tennes were known in every detail, it would disclose practically all there is to know about syndicated gambling as a phase of organized crime in Chicago in the last quarter century."

http://www.crimemagazine.com/racewire1.htm

Part II

http://www.crimemagazine.com/racewire2.htm

Part III

http://www.crimemagazine.com/racewire3.htm

Grits
04-26-2007, 01:17 PM
I'm sorry, but with only 200 hits on each of these three links, since they were posted online around, what, 2000?

What do these articles have to do with the Daily Racing Form today?

I, for one, think--not a single thing.

It is THE most respected publication in the industry.

TurfRuler
04-26-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm sorry, but with only 200 hits on each of these three links, since they were posted online around, what, 2000?

What do these articles have to do with the Daily Racing Form today?

I, for one, think--not a single thing.

It is THE most respected publication in the industry.

Just read it and weep, teary eye.

Grits
04-26-2007, 01:46 PM
I did read each of them, and I would not have commented had I not read them.