PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell a horse is injured?

EasyRider
04-18-2007, 12:59 PM
From looking at the information on the Daily Racing form, how can you tell that a horse has been injured in the last or previous races?

Certianly a bad trip in the last race might be a sign but what about a lack of workouts?

Also, if a horse raced just last week I would think he would be in bad form for todays race.

Any thoughts?

EasyRider

skate
04-18-2007, 01:06 PM
new wrapes on the front, throws up a red flag for me.

but if we are talking REALLY hurt, i don't think he'll be in the gate.:cool:

the horse racing last week and depending on w.o., would be a positive for me.
depends on trainers.

ranchwest
04-18-2007, 05:11 PM
From looking at the information on the Daily Racing form, how can you tell that a horse has been injured in the last or previous races?

Certianly a bad trip in the last race might be a sign but what about a lack of workouts?

Also, if a horse raced just last week I would think he would be in bad form for todays race.

Any thoughts?

EasyRider

Not all workouts are published.

Dan Montilion
04-18-2007, 05:15 PM
And some works that appear in the P.P.'s did not actually take place.

alysheba88
04-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Cant go by wraps either. Many sharp trainers throw them on to try to deter a claim.

betovernetcapper
04-18-2007, 06:57 PM
I always see the comment "vanned off" as a possible trouble sign.

46zilzal
04-18-2007, 07:00 PM
I always see the comment "vanned off" as a possible trouble sign.
That can happen for a variety of reason other than lameness: dehydration, colic, ridglings with an undescended testicle (Whittingham had one like that in the Preakness and Belmont and you could see he was in distress with every stride).

Also at most venues, sore horses are allowed to work out their soreness on the track. If you see a horse, all by itself working back and forth in front of people (they are vets) checking that one out. That occurs at several venues.

betovernetcapper
04-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Whatever the reason, I think being vanned off is a less than positive sign.

46zilzal
04-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Whatever the reason, I think being vanned off is a less than positive sign.
I used to think that too until several came back to bite me and bite me hard.

Greyfox
04-18-2007, 10:17 PM
You might get some help to your question at Joe Takach's site.

http://www.joe-takach.com/_Recent_Articles/_recent_articles.html

tholl
04-18-2007, 11:01 PM
Drop in claiming price for no other apparent reason.

john del riccio
04-19-2007, 04:52 AM
If you don't see them warmup, they aren't well!

JOhn

Premier Turf Club
04-19-2007, 06:18 AM
Bearing In or Bearing out comment in the previous race can be telling especially if the horse is older (sometimes green horses will race erratically until they get the hang of the game) and hasn't done it previously. Off poorly last out is a negative for me especially in claiming races from horses that don't have a history of it. Sore horses will often find it difficult to push off from a dead stop leaving the gate.

Horses that come to the paddock in liniments or rubs (you can usually seen a shiny vaseline like substance on their coats) are a no-bet. Great Hunter came to the paddock for the Blue Grass last Saturday with "some yellow crap all over his feet" according to a physicality handicapper watching that day at Kee. It was a pretty good super once you tossed him and played the ones that had a chance.

EasyRider
04-19-2007, 10:17 AM
According to Mike Pizzola it is a sign of injury if they don't race for more then a month but if they show workouts then perhaps they are recovered. He says that the longer they are away the more workout he wants to see.

Is this common sense or is there more to say about this?

EasyRider

jotb
04-19-2007, 01:42 PM
[QUOTE=Premier Turf Club]Bearing In or Bearing out comment in the previous race can be telling especially if the horse is older (sometimes green horses will race erratically until they get the hang of the game) and hasn't done it previously.

Hello Premier Turf Club:

Could be but could also be another type of "bit" needed. You be suprised how many times the wrong bit is being used on a horse.

Joe

sniezer
04-20-2007, 03:27 PM
If you don't see them warmup, they aren't well!

JOhn

For most jocks, it's the opposite. If the horse feels off, I'm going to be in constant motion the entire postparade. I would want to see if the horse was just a little stiff and needed to loosen up or if he got worse, I would then take him to the vet to check.

At the tracks I rode at I worried more about the ones that felt completely sound!

jotb
04-20-2007, 08:18 PM
For most jocks, it's the opposite. If the horse feels off, I'm going to be in constant motion the entire postparade. I would want to see if the horse was just a little stiff and needed to loosen up or if he got worse, I would then take him to the vet to check.

At the tracks I rode at I worried more about the ones that felt completely sound!

Hello Sniezer:

Yeah like the ones that were feeling no pain but had a knee. It's bad when you go down when they have a knee. Anyway, I was wondering if you made it a habit taking your horse to the vet and how many times over the years were they scr. and if so, did you get to ride them back?

joe

sniezer
04-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Hello Sniezer:

Yeah like the ones that were feeling no pain but had a knee. It's bad when you go down when they have a knee. Anyway, I was wondering if you made it a habit taking your horse to the vet and how many times over the years were they scr. and if so, did you get to ride them back?

joe

Your right about knees, they tend to go straight down instead of giving you a booble so you can lock down and get them pulled up. In 2,000+ races I only took one horse to the vet for a scratch. The vet wouldn't scratch him and another rider picked up the mount. The horse broke down and had to be put down,the rider was ok.