PDA

View Full Version : Bounty Hunter for illegal software

AwolAtPA
04-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Tue 17 Apr 2007

hi Folks,

I just submited a note to OuterInfo concerning being a Bounty Hunter.

The idea of a '..bounty hunter..' is my choice of words and do not know if others have persued this solution to being FRUSTRATED with unauthorized ads on my computer.

a little background

I decided to submit a bug report to Microsolt, you know when Internet Explorer crashes and asks if you want send them this sample to help debug the problem. Hey, I even added a note to that fact that I was running Visual Basic 4.0 and Access 97 (debugging a data base problem) when the crash happened. Well, APPARENTLY, this is a hole for electronic villans to install an application onto my computer. The software installed was ipwins.exe with not only the program but complete subsystem was added. That is, Control Panel, ADD/Remove has IPwins and folder IPWindows was used for this bogus application. Well, not really bogus just NOT authorized to be installed on my computer!!

I have not UNINSTALLED the IPwins yet because I decided to attack my attackers with the fact that they have cost me stress and frustration and many hours of lost time!!

---aah oops there was ANOTHER pop up ad from OuterInfo--------
yes, quite timely that my composing this thread would be interrupted
by another ad with the title bar saying OuterInfo!!
---------------------------

I went to the OuterInfo web site which APPARENTLY is the source for this adware application. I contend that the Ipwins/IPWindows developers have violated the purchase agreement with OuterInfo. That is, they clearly state that ONLY one computer can use the software.

OK, so how much BOUNTY should a software developer (OuterInfo, Microsoft, Synmantic, or any) pay for finding violators of the EULA for the software??

In other words, how big a bounty would make this of interest to you?

duane

Dave Schwartz
04-17-2007, 11:23 PM
AWOL,

I feel your pain.

One day I got trapped by accidently clicking on a bad link in an email and I installed a trojan. The trojan announced that I had the trojan and that the only way to get rid of it was to purchase their trojan removal tool.

Talk about being held hostage!

But, considering the alternative, I purchased the trojan-removal tool and, get this - it removed the trojan but not the "trojan is still installed" message! They wanted more money for that!

I called the company that handled the purchase (some Digital River sub-company) and demanded that they reverse the purchase - they did - and reformatted the entire system to make it go away.

This should be a felony!

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Hosshead
04-18-2007, 12:33 AM
AWOL,

I feel your pain.
One day I got trapped by accidently clicking on a bad link in an email and I installed a trojan. The trojan announced that I had the trojan and that the only way to get rid of it was to purchase their trojan removal tool.

Didn't you buy the "BOClean" anti trojan sw at one time?
Are you happy with it? It didn't catch this?