PDA

View Full Version : Pletchers starts again

abe
04-17-2007, 07:19 PM
I think this is Pletcher's first 2y old to run this year. Ready's Image a More Than Ready colt out of the Clever Trick mare Clever Phrase will run Friday at Keenland in a 4 1/2f MSW worth $50K. Hestarted working at Palm Meadows in March, then moved to Keenland a couple weeks ago. Shows good speed. The race is full of colts from great sires. This one brought $410K at Keenland last Fall, while MTR's average was $85.7K, so this one must be a looker. We'll see soon if he can run as good as he looks. :cool:

gIracing
04-17-2007, 10:51 PM
I think this is Pletcher's first 2y old to run this year. Ready's Image a More Than Ready colt out of the Clever Trick mare Clever Phrase will run Friday at Keenland in a 4 1/2f MSW worth $50K. Hestarted working at Palm Meadows in March, then moved to Keenland a couple weeks ago. Shows good speed. The race is full of colts from great sires. This one brought $410K at Keenland last Fall, while MTR's average was $85.7K, so this one must be a looker. We'll see soon if he can run as good as he looks. :cool:

i just don't believe in running horses that young. Horses don't fully develop until they are about 4 or 5 and to ask a horse to run like that when they are 2!! look at some of the legs on some of thoose 2 year olds, they look like twigs

abe
04-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Then I guess you're also against the Derby?

kenwoodallpromos
04-18-2007, 12:54 PM
Just curious- in what month was Ready's Image foaled?
Comment- It is racing, not the poster, who chooses to list runners under 5 in programs as "colt" or "filly". I would prefer they drop that and use "AS (history of Anabolic Steroid use) or "NAS" (never on Anabolic Steriods). :cool:

abe
04-18-2007, 05:26 PM
January I think.

gIracing
04-18-2007, 07:14 PM
Then I guess you're also against the Derby?

that's a stupid statement.

Some of these trainers are racing horses the DAY they turn 2.

Most horses in the derby are going to be about 37-38 months old.

There is a HUGE difference in a horses development between being 24 months and 37-38 months. HUGE.

In some cases, running 2YO's is fine. First Sammari, Too Much Bling, etc are horses that should have been raced when they were 2.. more than ready, but at least wait until say.. august at LEASt. let the horse grow into his frame.

Kelso didn't run for the first time until After the derby trail, don't think that was a bad decision.

There is another very famous hrose that didn't touch the track until he was 4, can't think of his name off the top of my head.

Every horse is different ovbiously, but I just don't see the benefit of racing a horse in April in a MSW race.. your horse isn't close to being fully developed yet and most importantly, you are going to have to wait for an allowence field anyway

abe
04-19-2007, 09:23 AM
All you've said is very true. It's just a matter of opinion. In years past horses were run more at two than they are today. Could have something to do with the breeding today. In the past stamina was a greater factor than todays speed. There used to be a 2y old stakes race on the Derby card. I don't remember it last year. Those who run their colts early are trying to get a "early return on their money." They may not ever run as 3y olds. I do think, in looking for a Derby horse, you look at those who start later, say August. I do think that a good 2y old foundation is important in the run for the roses. I would like to see more allowance races for 2y olds. Seem like they have to go from a MSW level straight to a stakes level too many times. There needs to be more progression. Money is the driving force, and there's a lot of money in the 2y old races. Many 3y old MSW are $20-30K while 2y old MSW are 40-50K. I feel that one of the reasons we've not seen a triple crown winner in recent years is this lack of foundation. They may be able to win the Derby with little foundation but to go all the way without it would take a real special horse. Just my thoughts. Thanks for yours.

abe
04-20-2007, 04:24 PM
For your info - Ready's Image won by 3 1/4. :cool:

gIracing
04-20-2007, 04:49 PM
i am a firm believer in the theory that the farther a horse runs, the less physically taxing it is on his body. European style turf races aren't as taxing on a horse than is a 4 and a half sprint to the dealth. nothing wrong with a horse galloping and sprinting for a furlong, i could live with that.

a 2 year old breaeking a world record is not a good thing for the 2 year old