PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think the best 3 year old in the country is?

gIracing
04-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Regardless of Sex?

First of all, I think Pletcher made a mistake not putting Rags to Riches in the SA Derby.. I think she wins it. I don't think she should be in the derby, but as weak as the field was in the SA Derby I think she wins it considering she doesn't get a horrible trip. Unlike the boys, SoCal is the place to be if you are a 3 year old filly, where 4 of the best 3 year olds in the country reside. Rags to Riches, ,Magnificence, Baroness Thatcher , and Silver Swallow, who finished a very game 2nd behind Rags to Riches in the Oaks in only her 2nd career start. There is also a filly, I can't spell her name off the top of my head, is a turf filly, but had one of the most visually impressive maiden wins on the turt.. Ennatte, something like that. very very talented, next race out had a HORRIBLE trip and lost by a half an inch on the wire. will be a good one.

With that said, I am not one to get very excited about horses. there are only 4 horses in my life that I saw and was just astonished by their proformances. (i'm only 23, so my memory isnt' that long). Ghostzapper was one. The first time he stretched out, i said to myself... what can you do? he can go short he can go long, and do it with style, drawing off. That horse was a freakin ATM machine. As far as raw talent, Empire Maker. I think he was pretty immature, and if he would have raced for say another year, I think he takes the BC Classic the next year. when his head was on straight and he wasn't lollygagging around, he was untouchable. Look at the Belmont that year. it's like he said, "okay, you want to race, let me show you what I can do when I feel like it" and played with the field. I think he will be an unreal sire, Nobiz reminds me of a less talented version of him, not a bad thing, but he doesn't have that "move" that Empire Maker had. Rags to Riches has a turn of foot that is unreal.

But I think the best 3 year old in the country might be Magnificence. I remember watching her first race andthe first thing I noticed about her is her sire. I like stormy atlantic. So she breaks and breaks bad, so i pay her no mind. come the turn, she is in it, but you know, you expect to put it in as a good effort and mark her down for the next race as a big price. WRONG. by the time she hits the stretch she is in the lead by 2 lengths, ears pricked, jogging home, won by alot, I forgot how many. You would have thought you were watching silky sullivan in his reincarnation.

Her next race, which earned the highest speed figure (although I don't use them) of any 3 year this year, she broke closer to the lead, cruised with the leader then upon asking, 4-5 strides later she is ahead by 5 or so. again never really being asked to exert alot, not tested, and the horse she beat is a darn good horse, the whole field was pretty good. She will go as long as you need to go, and she's scary good. I prey she is going to be in the oaks. She can rate, she can stay in the back, she can take the lead, doesn't matter.

betovernetcapper
04-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Well DUH
:D I agree 100%-Best 3 year old on the planet

bigmack
04-17-2007, 03:57 PM
She's so freakish she has three eyes

Magnificience

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/images/Magnificience-benoit.jpg

Edward DeVere
04-17-2007, 06:26 PM
She's also out until next year, or will be retired, because of a bone chip.

bigmack
04-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Crumb. I knew it was too good to last.

The dazzling 3-year-old filly Magnificience will be sidelined until next year because a chip was discovered in her left front ankle that requires minor surgery. Magnificience burst to prominence with a breathtaking debut March 11 at Santa Anita, and followed with a five-length win April 1 in the Grade 3 Santa Paula Stakes. But soon after she won the 6 1/2-furlong Santa Paula with a 109 Beyer Speed Figure - highest of the year by a 3-year-old of either gender - Magnificience developed heat in an ankle.

Trainer Bruce Headley said preliminary X-rays came back clean, but the heat persisted and a second set of X-rays revealed the small chip.

"It was so slight," Headley said.

Dr. Gregory Ferraro will perform arthroscopic surgery to remove the chip next week, and Headley is confident that Magnificience will return in 2008 even better as a 4-year-old.

"Racehorses can be great horses after having a chip removed," Headley said, and cited Breeders' Cup Sprint winner Kona Gold as an example.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/84096.html

gIracing
04-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Crumb. I knew it was too good to last.

The dazzling 3-year-old filly Magnificience will be sidelined until next year because a chip was discovered in her left front ankle that requires minor surgery. Magnificience burst to prominence with a breathtaking debut March 11 at Santa Anita, and followed with a five-length win April 1 in the Grade 3 Santa Paula Stakes. But soon after she won the 6 1/2-furlong Santa Paula with a 109 Beyer Speed Figure - highest of the year by a 3-year-old of either gender - Magnificience developed heat in an ankle.

Trainer Bruce Headley said preliminary X-rays came back clean, but the heat persisted and a second set of X-rays revealed the small chip.

"It was so slight," Headley said.

Dr. Gregory Ferraro will perform arthroscopic surgery to remove the chip next week, and Headley is confident that Magnificience will return in 2008 even better as a 4-year-old.

"Racehorses can be great horses after having a chip removed," Headley said, and cited Breeders' Cup Sprint winner Kona Gold as an example.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/84096.html

you gotta be kiddin me. well.. we won't see her again, he should have sold her when he had the chance

DanG
04-17-2007, 10:57 PM
That’s a real shame. :(

I had selfish curiosity on top of my admiration to see her go on. I have a nice side bet with someone that Rag’s to Riches beats ‘Mag’s if they ever met at 2-turns >= 9f. Now we will both never know.

NY BRED
04-20-2007, 10:52 PM
the most exciting filly since Ruffian, who was my all time standard..