PDA

View Full Version : Track Turn Info

obeguy
04-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Is there any reference I can go to to find the number of turns at each distance and track.

Thanks

Faster
04-16-2007, 12:17 AM
Is there any reference I can go to to find the number of turns at each distance and track.

Thanks

Normally, 4F to 7F sprints are one turn. Routes are usually two turns.
There are one turn mile tracks (Aqueduct) and 7/8 tracks that require two turns for 7F races.
Get a copy of DRF and there at the beginning of each race is a drawing of the track with distances (and turns) shown.
But you have probably figured it out by now :)

46zilzal
04-16-2007, 12:22 AM
Old American Racing Manual before 1990: every track diagram.

Faster
04-16-2007, 12:35 AM
Old American Racing Manual before 1990: every track diagram.
I sometimes google the satelite map of the track to consider wind direction, especially when in excess of 20 M/h
You can now draw the direction of the wind on it, to help you visualize where the wind may cause the most resistance.

misscashalot
04-16-2007, 02:02 AM

Thanks

This is what you want

http://drf.com/entries/entries_info.html

RonTiller
04-16-2007, 10:01 AM
You've probably seen Keeneland's site, with all the track configurations for all the distances:

http://ww2.keeneland.com/racing/lists/courses/allitemsalt.aspx

Wouldn't it be nice if every track did this! The bigger tracks are never much of a problem - its the smaller tracks that can be a challenge. We also use google satellite images of tracks to actually measure the turns and chutes of the tracks (we could not have even dreamed of doing this 15 years ago!). We did this recently for Fonner Park and Hastings Park. We have also watched video replays that most tracks offer - if the 6F races are run out of a standard chute from the backstretch, you have a mile track.

The funny thing is, when you compile all the times for the distances that each track runs and do some statistical analysis, the track size usually pops out by way of having a weird set of times explainable by the track being a certain size (Bel 1 turn miles) or by way of the standard distances run (CT's bread and butter distance is 4 1/2F). The 2 strange ones not gettable unless you know are the 4 1/2F chute at Keeneland and the 6 1/2F downhill turf at Santa Anita - weird times and weird track/chute configurations.

It would be nice to have a central registry for all tracks, like Keeneland has. Anybody volunteering?

Ron Tiller
HDW