PDA

View Full Version : Who had the Dreamiest Trip?

DrugSalvastore
04-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Going into last years Kentucky Derby, there were three major prep winners who came into the race with different variations of what trip handicappers would label as "a dream trip."

So I started a thread taking a poll on what you guys thought was the dreamiest of the three dream trips. http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27184 (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27184)

Morning line KY Derby favorite Brother Derek came out on top with 48%. Sinister Minister came in second with 35%. And eventual KY Derby post time favorite Sweetnorthernsaint received only 17% of the votes.

Brother Derek finished in a dead-heat for 4th, beaten 9.5 lengths, as the third choice in the betting. Sinister Minister finished in 16th place as the joint fourth choice in the betting. Sweetnorthernsait finished in 7th place as the post time favorite. None of the trio has won a Graded Stake race since.

Here are my contestants for this years rendition of 'Who had the Dreamiest Dream Trip?' Vote for the one whom you feel is most deserving.

* Curlin (Arkansas Derby) There were two MSW races earlier on in the card. .Wire-to-wire winner of the 1st Mike's Honey Bunny, a NY bred filly who never was on the lead at any point in her career, ran an opening quarter in 23.44. In the other MSW race, Cantallbechiefs, who also has never sniffed the early lead in his career, ran an opening quarter in 23.50. Curlin got a sweet inside-stalking trip, sitting off of the very slow pace set by Deadly Dealer, who made the lead through a 23.56 opening quarter. When Deadly Dealer proved to be a distance challenged sprinter, Curlin inherited the lead through a soft 4th quarter mile fraction, and blitzed home stylishly late.

* Cowtown Cat (Illinois Derby) On a day where 7 of the 10 winners at Hawthorne went wire-to-wire, and the horse on the lead after a 1/4 mile produced a dazzling 10-7-3-0 record, Cowtown Cat made the early lead through soft looking fractions. And, on a day when every winner raced on the inside path, Cowtown Cat sailed wire-to-wire on the rail. His 108 BRIS figure for the win represents the outright highest such number by any Derby horse.

* Tiago (Santa Anita Derby) Racing for the first time without blinkers (albeit the blinkers he wore in prior races had almost no cup at all) this half brother to Giacomo was able to save every yard of ground on both turns, while racing well off what appeared to be a snappy pace. Tiago rallied late to run down the distance challenged King of the Roxy, as well as 3rd place finisher Sam P., who appeared to get rank while racing in blinkers for the first time. Interestingly enough, Tiago did not make a good appearance in the pre-race. He appeared nervous, and displaying much more kidney sweat than he did in his previous races.

DrugSalvastore
04-15-2007, 03:31 PM
I had a feeling Cowtown Cat would have a majority in this poll.

One thing I should have mentioned...is that Street Sense has actually had dream trips on two occasions in his career.

One in the BC Juvenile, where he broke from a post 1, which produced five of the days six dirt winners in the BC races, Street Sense saved every inch of ground on the live rail path, and was aided by a very fast pace, while closing from last to first.

In the Tampa Derby, because the leader was drifting out, he was able to skate right up the rail, while his chief rival, whom he beat by just a nose, was caught wide.

I'm going to bet Any Given Saturday in the Derby. I think he's an excellent fit from a style standpoint....and should be a fair price.

fergie
04-15-2007, 10:17 PM
Drug S.

Seems like it's been a while since i've seen you post. Good to hear from you again.
Fergie

JPinMaryland
04-16-2007, 02:16 AM
I'm going to bet Any Given Saturday in the Derby. I think he's an excellent fit from a style standpoint....and should be a fair price.

Horse does not want to pass anyone he hooks up. Not good. :ThmbDown:

bobphilo
04-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Horse does not want to pass anyone he hooks up. Not good. :ThmbDown:

He didn't have any trouble passing horses until his last 2 where the horses he hooked had saved considerably more ground then him on the turns.
Having said that, he probably won't be my Derby bet either. A couple of others have run faster races and if he's ridden the same dumb way he was in the Wood, he'll have little chance.

Bob

JPinMaryland
04-20-2007, 02:45 AM
He didn't have any trouble passing horses until his last 2 where the horses he hooked had saved considerably more ground then him on the turns.

Look at the race vs Tiz WOnderful. WHy is he bearing out in the stretch like that??? :confused:

Look at the way he is carrying his head in the TB dby. I dont know what that means, but is that something psychological the way he holds it up?

gIracing
04-20-2007, 03:17 AM
man that was tough...

I had to really think about it... The reason I choose cowtown cat is because Tiago had to run down KOTR, and Deadley Dealer got the trip he wanted morso than anyone, he just wasn't curlin.

Every horse Cowtown Cat faced, was not going to get the distance. You had Colbalt Blue, who might be the most overyped horse in a while, basically threw it in coming into the stretch. Summer doldrums was somewhat there, but cowtown cat didn't have to exert any effort to beat him, just maintain his pace and he was going to win that race.

If Curlin and Tiago (espically) didn't kick it up a notch, they loose, although tiago had to kick it up a tad bit higher than Curlin.

that an I am not impressed in the least bit by the soCal 3 year olds this year, i cant' believe he is still running Colbalt blue and Liquidity in the Derby... Great Hunter Deserves it, he's the best of the three, but the other two are milers at best

PaceAdvantage
04-20-2007, 03:28 AM
If anyone wishes to review these races quicky before voting, I've put up a little Derby Prep Video matrix on the home page:

www.paceadvantage.com (http://www.paceadvantage.com)

and scroll down.....