PDA

View Full Version : Excel Question

philsfan07
04-14-2007, 11:10 AM
For any Excel gurus... (or anyone smarter than me, so open to anyone)

Question..

Let's say I have 7 excel columns:

Col 1 = A Score between 0-100
Col 2 - Score " "
Col 3 - Score " "
Col 4 - Has a formula simply stating put a '1' if Col 1 is > or = to 70 or blank if not
Col 5 - " " Col 2 is > or = to 70 or blank if not
Col 6 - " " Col 3 is > or = to 70 or blank if not

Column 7 is my question.. Considering that Columns 4,5,6 are formulas, is there a way to make column 7 something like "IF columns 4,5 and 6 are '1', then 'PRIME', if not then blank??

I figure it may be as simple as a multiple IF/THEN formula, but not sure how to do that for 3 variables..

Any help appreciated.. Thank you

KYJACK
04-15-2007, 01:35 PM
For any Excel gurus... (or anyone smarter than me, so open to anyone)

...I figure it may be as simple as a multiple IF/THEN formula, but not sure how to do that for 3 variables..Phil

Ahhhh, appealing to the egos out there is a neat trick! :D

Here's an example to review. Actually two ways are shown on the attached zipped spreadsheet. One is as you requested (here are the key formulas):
=IF((A4>=70),1,"") (Column 4)
=IF((B4>=70),1,"") (Column 5)
=IF((C4>=70),1,"") (Column 6)
=IF(((D4=1)*(E4=1)*(F4=1)),"PRIME","") (Column 7)
The other is using an expanded formula in Column 7, and eliminating the intermediate columns 4,5, & 6 (Use only if these column values are not needed/referenced elsewhere on the spreadsheet).

btw - What you're describing is a "Compound Conditional" IF/THEN formula. In the formula we use an '*' (AND) to link multiple conditions. Having multiple conditions makes the formula 'Compound'. We're saying IF (A and B and C) are all TRUE, then do something.=IF(((A17>=70)*(B17>=70)*(C17>=70)),"PRIME","")If perhaps we only needed one of the conditions to be true, we use a '+' (OR) to link the conditions. i.e if either (A or B or C) is TRUE, then do something.=IF(((A17>=70)+(B17>=70)+(C17>=70)),"CONTENDER","")Although, you can definitely use multiple/nested IF/THEN formulas, it can get a little messy with a bunch of parenthesis - easy to make a mistake! Let me know if you want an example of this!

Jack

philsfan07
04-15-2007, 02:32 PM
Thank you, this works great

KYJACK
04-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Thank you, this works greatKool! Glad to be of assistance! :cool: